Experience with Sauer 202 Takedown?

Chris-NZ

I called in to shoot the breeze with my dealer mate at lunchtime and he'd wasted a solid hour trying to get a newly delivered Sauer working correctly.

With the barrel installed to full depth in its housing, the bolt would simply not close. Rotated maybe five degrees at full depth but never looked like finding the lug recesses properly. Looking through the mag port with a torch, the barrel seemed to be fully seated in its housing.

This is a brand new rifle with factory barrel.

Any thoughts??

Chris-NZ

Was the gun supplied assembled or did your friend have to assemble it for the first time? If first time assembly it may be wrong? Have you got the correct bolt head - they vary depending on which calibre the action is for which is stamped on the side of the magazine.

I have a 202 elegance - not a take down but the barrel is easily removed for transport in a short case. It never gives any problems although I have noticed the barrel never reseats absolutely spot on, its always +/- a few thou. Shoots well though for a light weight sporter. I have a friend also with a 202 and he experiences similar when refitting a barrel.

Chris

was the barrel orientated correctly,

There is a small lug cut into the base of the barrel tenon which the for end "attachment" slips into and is held in place by the forward of three barrel retention bolts?

Ive done a bit of work with several Sauer 202's, all came apart and went back together without any real issue, I always set the barrel by closing the bolt with the barrel under mild tension (with headspace gauge in place)

Seen that video thanks.

Yeh, the alignment lug was obvious and as I said, the barrel seemed to bottom out in its "housing".

I think he's sending it back to the importer as the (?.300 Win Mag) barrel was supposed to have a brake on it anyway.

Chris

There have been recent quality issues with this brand I believe. Speaking to a guy a couple of months back that had to go to court- he won his case but had to bring it against the RFD in order for the RFD to take his case to the importer etc

• 1 year later...

Hi Chris - NZ

I know this response is about a year and a half after your initial question but I experienced the very same problem as you regarding barrel fit into the Sauer receiver. I had 2 barrels that didn't seem to seat well enough to allow an 'easy' lock-up with the bolt. It was always very tight and I had to bounce the stock on a solid surface to get the barrels to seat a little further into the receiver's taper allowing the bolt to close.

I fixed the problem - very successfully - by releaving the sharp edges of my barrels with some very fine emery paper. Problem solved. The barrels must have had some very fine burrs on the taper's edge; so fine that I couldn't feel them with my fingers. Once I carefully sanded the edges, both barrels locked-up with the bolt the way I had seen in video's.

I think this is something the Sauer factory should ensure as part of their production process but I am pleased it was a simple correction.

It's been about 4 years since I did this 'fix' and I have experienced no change in the lock-up of the bolt with the barrel or bolt to receiver fit.

Archived