Best scope mount for Tikka T3?

In readiness for my Tikka T3 arriving, I need to start looking at 'scope attachment.

I want to add as little weight as possible to the rifle, but I'm guessing that I can save more by choosing the right 'scope and sound mod than scrimping on mounts etc.

So what would you recommend, do I go Optilocks, or will a Picatinny rail & rings (Third Eye Tactical?) be better?

All comments and advice much appreciated.

depends if you want to leave one scope on or switch about, do you need an angled rail for long range competition? If neither of these then optiloc are the best bet on a sporter

It depends on scope application of rilfe etc. I've now settled on the picatinny rails from Alan Rhone (they sit a lot lower than the third eye tac rails) and a Third eye unimount. It allows me to sit the scope real close to the bore the tet rail lifted the scope height a fair bit on my rifle and I found that less astetically pleasing than a lower scope height. Horses for courses.

Or of course there's the chap on eBay who makes the 3 ring dovetail mount for them. They look lovely!

depends if you want to leave one scope on or switch about, do you need an angled rail for long range competition? If neither of these then optiloc are the best bet on a sporter

Won't be swapping scopes around, once the scope is on it will stay on. No plans to do anything long range at the moment, I have other rifles that I use for that. At the moment my plans for this rifle are stalking only.

It looks like the consensus of opinion is to stick with Optilocks, which was my initial thought as well.

Thanks for all your help gents.

It depends on scope application of rilfe etc. I've now settled on the picatinny rails from Alan Rhone (they sit a lot lower than the third eye tac rails) and a Third eye unimount. It allows me to sit the scope real close to the bore the tet rail lifted the scope height a fair bit on my rifle and I found that less astetically pleasing than a lower scope height. Horses for courses. Or of course there's the chap on eBay who makes the 3 ring dovetail mount for them. They look lovely![/quote

Please can you link to the 3 ring dovetail mount. Been looking for a direct mount for ages and now waiting for third eye to come out with the uni mount for tikka dovetail

There's non on eBay at the moment mate ill pm you a link when he next has some on there. Has third eye indicated they will be producing the unimount as a tikka direct mount?

Optilocks do the job very well and I've never had an issue, however if you want to add some elevation I would recommend the EGW HD rail plus rings of your choosing.

Double thumbs up on the EGW HD - light and tough.

I'd then go for 3rd eye rings due to 'ease of getting' (my real first choice would be TPS); 3rd eye are a peculiar design with a removable clamp on both sides of where they grip the rail (all others of this type I've handled only have one jaw) but they're nicely finished and light.

Double thumbs up on the EGW HD - light and tough.

I'd then go for 3rd eye rings due to 'ease of getting' (my real first choice would be TPS); 3rd eye are a peculiar design with a removable clamp on both sides of where they grip the rail (all others of this type I've handled only have one jaw) but they're nicely finished and light.

Do you find aluminium rails are OK to stand up to the normal rigours of recoil etc?

I guess the engineer in me has always made me plumb for steel due to it's toughness over ally.

Agree with you on the EGW HD rails - I've got one on a 338 too.

If you can get them over from the US I highly recommend the seekins precision rings, light, tough and well machined.

If I were to have another T3 foxing or sporter rifle without the need for a 20 MOA rail I'd go with the Optilocks. Always plenty kicking around 2nd hand too.

Do you find aluminium rails are OK to stand up to the normal rigours of recoil etc?

I guess the engineer in me has always made me plumb for steel due to it's toughness over ally.

Absolutely, as my post above I use one on my .338 all be it with 8x40 screws. It's important to match the rail with good quality rings preferably made out the same alloy. Torque everything down as per the manufacturers recommendations and you're good to go.

There's non on eBay at the moment mate ill pm you a link when he next has some on there. Has third eye indicated they will be producing the unimount as a tikka direct mount?

I have spoken to Craig at Third Eye Tactical about a direct uni mount. We first discussed the possibility at the British Shooting Show and recently confirmed with him that he has done the CAD. However due to the demand for his chassis can't get give it any tool time.

I am a the top off the que. I would have gone with Spuhr mounts but they require the ejection port opening by 5mm.

Archived