20 hornet

later in the year i want to replace my 17hmr with something based on the hornet case ,was thinking of the 17hh but has ayone ever used a 20 hornet things i would like to know are

what dies where from ect

case forming do you just neck down to ,20 then fire form

any info would be great

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
later in the year i want to replace my 17hmr with something based on the hornet case ,was thinking of the 17hh but has ayone ever used a 20 hornet things i would like to know are

what dies where from ect

any info would be great

P.C-i think Redding do 20h dies -necked down 22 hornet brass you would probably need at least a 1-12 twist- speeds with30-40gn bullets will be around 2600-3300 if i remember rightly hornet brass needs a lot of TLC.a rifle in this calbre would make a superb walk round vermin gun i would check coopers web site they may do a .20h.it would pay to go .20ackley hornet to get the best out of the brass.

your other .20 cal based on small cases are.20 vartarg-.20 squirrel based on hornet brass..20 vartarg turbo [222 brass]

if it were my £££ i would go .20 vartarg very good speed with not a lot of powder.

hope your head is now full of sh$t! :P .

thanks buddy ,did think about the vartarg but i thought its abit to close to the 204 which i already have.was going to have the 17hh then i saw the 20 cal on the net somewhere and it sounds perfect for what i want.had a rebarreled cz in mind but a cooper now your talking will have to look into that one

Have a careful look at your real needs before you go to anything unusual. The std .22 Hornet can do a heck of a lot and from there on you have .222 . .223 etc. Bullet terminal effect is a big one with the Hornet, consider the impact speed range those .20 pills have been developed for and can the hornet achieve this at the range window that the .20 becomes a viable advantage. Prices and availability of tooling and bullets is bound to be worse plus all the fire forming and faff in the loading room. If you want faster and flatter just get a .20 ruger etc IMO

Have a careful look at your real needs before you go to anything unusual. The std .22 Hornet can do a heck of a lot and from there on you have .222 . .223 etc. Bullet terminal effect is a big one with the Hornet, consider the impact speed range those .20 pills have been developed for and can the hornet achieve this at the range window that the .20 becomes a viable advantage. Prices and availability of tooling and bullets is bound to be worse plus all the fire forming and faff in the loading room. If you want faster and flatter just get a .20 ruger etc IMO

hi buddy i have a 204 and its a great round just want to replace my 17 hmr for something a bit better for the odd fox on one of the smaller farms.mate of mine has just got a 22 hornet and its loooking good so far i also had one in the past and had a good number of foxes with it so i do rate the 22 hornet,just like to be a bit different thats all.i know what your saying about tooling dies could be a pain to get dont think brass forming would be to bad though will look into that abit more.saying all this though if i come across a 22 hornet and can do a trade on the 17hmr that will be what ill go for

hi buddy i have a 204 and its a great round just want to replace my 17 hmr for something a bit better for the odd fox on one of the smaller farms.mate of mine has just got a 22 hornet and its loooking good so far i also had one in the past and had a good number of foxes with it so i do rate the 22 hornet,just like to be a bit different thats all.i know what your saying about tooling dies could be a pain to get dont think brass forming would be to bad though will look into that abit more.saying all this though if i come across a 22 hornet and can do a trade on the 17hmr that will be what ill go for
nowt wrong with being different if you want to be but there is no need, .22 Hornet has been a factory round from 1930 and is still off the shelf today! why? coz it works!

what dies where from ect

any info would be great

You might want to look at the 17 Ackley Bee,way ahead of the 17 Hornet wildcat,based on a better case,and as I recal some 300fps more.A niche round,but a good one if you want something interesting.Or of course the Bee itself.

Gbal

You might want to look at the 17 Ackley Bee,way ahead of the 17 Hornet wildcat,based on a better case,and as I recal some 300fps more.A niche round,but a good one if you want something interesting.Or of course the Bee itself. Gbal

Interesting Case the .22 bee, never took the market off the Hornet and hard to get a good consistent supply of brass for now. A Hand loaded .22 Hornet will very comfortably run a 45 grn bullet at 2900 fps, when you exceed that then you might as well go .222 rem but you will be feeding it more powder. I feel personally that the Bee never made it through because the .222 was better still and the Hornet was just enough gun - in short it was placed just out of one weight class and too light to fight well in the next. Again necking down and fire forming a hard to obtain case for more speed than the .17 hornets, why? The .17 rem will again do more again if that's the issue

Interesting Case the .22 bee, never took the market off the Hornet and hard to get a good consistent supply of brass for now. A Hand loaded .22 Hornet will very comfortably run a 45 grn bullet at 2900 fps, when you exceed that then you might as well go .222 rem but you will be feeding it more powder. I feel personally that the Bee never made it through because the .222 was better still and the Hornet was just enough gun - in short it was placed just out of one weight class and too light to fight well in the next. Again necking down and fire forming a hard to obtain case for more speed than the .17 hornets, why? The .17 rem will again do more again if that's the issue [/quot

Hi Kent

I agree with all you say about these cartridges,and had/ have them all save the Bee-for just the reasons given

-or more that the Bee just didn't get much publicity,so was unknown.

I was addressing the issue of "I just like something different" ( from 22 Hornet),and the Bee fits that in several ways- you might even get a lever action one,if you really want to be different!For enthusiasts only though!

Gbal

the bee looks good but just a bit to different i think,still like the idea of the 20 hornet but id need to find a doner rifle and at the moment i cant find a 22 hornet for love or money

Got a guy coming in with an Anschutz in the morning for rebarrelling in .20 Hornet....IF I decide to take the job.

There is an old Arab saying. " If you have no other problems in life....buy yourself a goat "

dave do you think its more trouble than its worth then

Heck no !

Variety is the spice of life, and if people have the time and cash to experiment with exotics then good luck to them.

From personal experience of some of them, i,ve always found the oddballs to offer nothing more than std chamberings in real world terms.

The .20 hornet is still going to be a 250 yard gun. Why not just use a .22 hornet ? The drop difference will be minimal at that range.

If you relish the case forming and attraction of "something different" then why not.

Bear in mind however that you will be looking at the best part of £4-500 for a custom made reamer , headspace guages and a quality set, if not custom dies.

Thats a lot of money on top of a rebarrel.

Heck no !

Variety is the spice of life, and if people have the time and cash to experiment with exotics then good luck to them.

From personal experience of some of them, i,ve always found the oddballs to offer nothing more than std chamberings in real world terms.

The .20 hornet is still going to be a 250 yard gun. Why not just use a .22 hornet ? The drop difference will be minimal at that range.

If you relish the case forming and attraction of "something different" then why not.

Bear in mind however that you will be looking at the best part of £4-500 for a custom made reamer , headspace guages and a quality set, if not custom dies.

Thats a lot of money on top of a rebarrel.

And if that don't put you off consider getting the dies etc..............................................

Er, read it again kent,

"And a quality set, if not custom dies"

I was referring to the hassle not if the cost was included. Unless Dave was kindly going to do the hunting down of the dies for the proposed project

Interesting Case the .22 bee, never took the market off the Hornet and hard to get a good consistent supply of brass for now./quote]

I have a couple of hundred new 218 Bee cases if anyone has a project in mind.

I've got some Redding 218 Mashburn Bee dies too, little project for someone :P

thank guys i think its maybe not one of my best ideas,never even thought about the reamer ect.now if you can just tell me where to find a 22 hornet that would be great

Edgar bothers, in the main part its a considered purchase and one people tend to keep. CZ all the way though forget those "list" prices

cheers kent tried them yesterday ,none in stock no due date asked about the 17 hornet while i was on the phone no due date for them ,helpful guy i thought
Get a decent sized account holder to phone and ask the same, you might get a more informed answer to the question. You know CZ have a store in their country, always wondered about doing the drive

I've just been reading about 20 satan in may's shooting sports made from 6 x 47 swiss match later using 6.5 x 47 L using .22br then 20br FL dies built on a 308 bolt face so plenty of donors out there. could be different enough without breaking the bank

Archived