My new McKillop/West .17 Remington

Well I finally took delivery of my new .17 Remington. Action-Rebarrel by Neil Mckillop and Stock by Joe West. Neil has really made a fantastic job of the action and barrel work with Joe adding the finishing touches with the tactical laminate stock. I basically bought a Tikka M595 SS in .222, had it sent to Neil to have a PAC-NOR
barrel fitted. Fortunately Neil had the barrel in stock which is a heavy varmint 1:9 twist 3 groove PAC-NOR barrel, I decided on 24 inch. After completing the work Neil had the action and barrel vapour blasted so it now looks identical. He also added an invisible thread cover to finish and dressed the bolt up for me. Having not seen the original rifle or any of the component parts prior to receiving it I was in Neil's hands and I can honestly say he hasn't let me down in any way, its stunning.

Neil had the rifle shipped to Joe so that Joe could fit the new stock to the rifle perfectly. I have to say that the stock was perfect, perfect inlet, fully floated. Considering the stock is unfinished when you receive it, it still looked great and although Joe advises to give it a good close look over up against the light to find any marks etc, I found very few. The finishing process was simple even for me and the instructions and kit that Joe sent were very easy to follow. The final result is stunning, looks fantastic.

Now just waiting for my new scope to arrive so I can go and test it....Bullets are ready and waiting....Lets hope its shoots as well as it looks. Ill update with results once I get chance to get out.

post-11217-0-88668200-1365980446_thumb.jpg

post-11217-0-08236900-1365980453_thumb.jpg

post-11217-0-44808100-1365980458_thumb.jpg

post-11217-0-92667800-1365980464_thumb.jpg

post-11217-0-64437300-1365980472_thumb.jpg

post-11217-0-85434500-1365980480_thumb.jpg

post-11217-0-15119400-1365980488_thumb.jpg

post-11217-0-94960000-1366064830_thumb.jpg

Cheers mate. Yeah I'm very happy with it. Some would say(including one of my shooting buddies) that its a bit heavy for a 17 rem (only 10lb with bipod on, not bad IMO) but for me having a lighter barrel from a relatively chunky stock just doesn't look the same. This has been made nicely in proportion.

very nice-not my choice of stock for a walk round rifle-but im not paying for it!

dont let the .17rem side down get some stuff shot i have a 595 in .17rem with a lilja tube.

what are you going to feed it?25gn vmaxs?you will enjoy the .17rem .keep postiong on your load development not that the .17 needs a lot of work to get it to shoot,it needs speed!

Well I finally took delivery of my new .17 Remington. Action-Rebarrel by Neil Mckillop and Stock by Joe West. Neil has really made a fantastic job of the action and barrel work with Joe adding the finishing touches with the tactical laminate stock. I basically bought a Tikka M595 SS in .222, had it sent to Neil to have a PAC-NOR

barrel fitted. Fortunately Neil had the barrel in stock which is a heavy varmint 1:9 twist 3 groove PAC-NOR barrel, I decided on 24 inch. After completing the work Neil had the action and barrel vapour blasted so it now looks identical. He also added an invisible thread cover to finish and dressed the bolt up for me. Having not seen the original rifle or any of the component parts prior to receiving it I was in Neil's hands and I can honestly say he hasn't let me down in any way, its stunning.

Neil had the rifle shipped to Joe so that Joe could fit the new stock to the rifle perfectly. I have to say that the stock was perfect, perfect inlet, fully floated. Considering the stock is unfinished when you receive it, it still looked great and although Joe advises to give it a good close look over up against the light to find any marks etc, I found very few. The finishing process was simple even for me and the instructions and kit that Joe sent were very easy to follow. The final result is stunning, looks fantastic.

Now just waiting for my new scope to arrive so I can go and test it....Bullets are ready and waiting....Lets hope its shoots as well as it looks. Ill update with results once I get chance to get out.

very nice mate,good shootin.LEE

very nice-not my choice of stock for a walk round rifle-but im not paying for it!

dont let the .17rem side down get some stuff shot i have a 595 in .17rem with a lilja tube.

what are you going to feed it?25gn vmaxs?you will enjoy the .17rem .keep postiong on your load development not that the .17 needs a lot of work to get it to shoot,it needs speed!

Yes mate, got some 20g Vmax and 25g Vmax made up. 25g look the bullet to go with, ballistics are much better than the 20g.

Yes mate, got some 20g Vmax and 25g Vmax made up. 25g look the bullet to go with, ballistics are much better than the 20g.

viht 135 is the powder !

Thats a real beauty mate ;) I have an almost identical Joe West stock fitted to my 22/250ack semi custom Tikka and it has improved my shooting dramatically, you will love it, enjoy :D

BR Tony.

Thats a real beauty mate ;) I have an almost identical Joe West stock fitted to my 22/250ack semi custom Tikka and it has improved my shooting dramatically, you will love it, enjoy :D

BR Tony.

If Neil has built it for sure it will shoot, He has built a few for me and all have been tack drivers. I am sure you will be very happy with it.

ATB SEAN

Cheers chaps

I'm trying N133 initially

its good but watch the pressure spikes-especially as its warming up keep the loads out of the sun! if you go n135 you can get a bit more in the case and still be safe.

varget is also a good powder and a lot less sensative to temperature.

enjoy

i really do hope it shoots stewpidly tight holes for you ! NICE

Archived