eeek case head query

triggersqueezer

i had a play with an ultrasound cleaner today whilst inspecting the brass i found this

007.jpg

it was my first play and i was not that impressed it has 480 second max cycles and i have cleaned them at least 10 times and some are clean others are taking some doing.

are these lines the start of case head separation ?the brass has been fired 4 times max using 24.5 varget 75 amax at 2707 fps a tad warm but not over the top.i cant feel a crack with my nail but with tumbling i have never seen these lines.they are to straight accros to be water marks.lapua brass

thoughts please guys

Too high on case for head seperations.

Put a dental pick down the inside of the case and feel for a 'dip' close to the head if in doubt.

I bought a £20 aldi one and used method from here http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html It did take more than one 480 sec cycles.

what did you put in as a cleaning agent not 100% sure but would suggest try polish the marks off. I did get some discolouration.

i used white vinegar water 50/50 then when looking clean ran again in water to rinse.

If you have a borescope get it down the neck and you can get a better view to see if there is any impending case head separation indents.

Or if you haven't then get a large paperclip, straighten it and put a 90 deg bend on the end and run it from bottom to case mouth to feel for any indent.

i think it is your solution and the aldi ultrasonic cleaner is not a good un!it will clean your brass but you will have to run it through a lot of cycles.

for a "hobby" us cleaner maplins electrical sell one £45 2 yrs ago they also sell the solution sea foam that cleans up brass very nicely.or you could send your brass to SPUD to have it cleaned with his ss method brass looks like new when cleaned this way.

well i bought the big unit from maplins £100 and the sea stuff on reading good reviews.i have put it through sooo many times and some are clean some are still 60% tomorrow i will take it back and have a moan and if i'm succesfull stainless media from spud 1957 but he likes to say 67 :D

Don't get me wrong I know mine was cheap but it does work, the colour I think was due to missing out the bi carb part. to neutralize the vinegar. which was why I asked about what cleaner Triggersqueezer used as that could be the cause.

THe only thing that limits the aldi one is its size.

well i bought the big unit from maplins £100 and the sea stuff on reading good reviews.i have put it through sooo many times and some are clean some are still 60% tomorrow i will take it back and have a moan and if i'm succesfull stainless media from spud 1957 but he likes to say 67 :D

I would go for the Stainless solution every time..... I tried sonic cleaners but was never very happy with the results or their capacity.

Archived