70 Grain Bergers in 1:8 Twist 6mmBR

Brillo

Having read with interest the very detailed posts on the 80 grain A-Max in a .223 calibre, it prompts me to raise this particular query.

My 6BR rifle is a Savage model 12, with a 29" 1:8 twist barrel. I'm still in the process of developing loads for it and have, up to now, limited this to Berger 105 grain Target VLD's.

Someone has suggested that I will get better accuracy at 100 yards with the Berger 70 grain flat base bullet.

The measured COAL is 2.365" using the method given to me by Vince, so the bullet jump will be way above 0.070".

Any comments please.

Personally I tried with 2 separate 6brs with1 in 8 twist barrels throated for 105 Bergers and failed to get them to shoot really well with anything lighter than an 87 grain V max.

I could not get any bullet close to the lands and leave anything in the case.

They normally bug hole with the 105 Bergers so it didn't bother me.

105 A max shoot well also.

Cheers

Dave

In a longer BR throat say with a .100 plus freebore which your savage may have? I,d have said going with the 80g FB Berger{much longer bearing surface},,,,they are stonking accurate and position fairly well at 5 thou off the lands,,,,my load is 30.5/135,,,,,have had so much confidence in my older 6Br with this load using 80g Precision ballistic heads and also 80g Noslers.

Not sure which 105Bergers "6mmBR"Dave uses but would second his comments,,,,,,,,,,,,I use the Berger 105g match heads {not the VLD}and have a huge accuracy node using 29.5/140 through to what I would call maximum.Regds Onehole.

The Bergers are the hunting VLD's and my pet load is 30 grains of Varget.

For varminting I use 87 V max with 31.2 grains of N135.

Please work up to these if you try them.

Cheers

Dave

Brillo,

You did get a 0.368 inch 5-shot group at 100 yards. For a factory Rifle, in competition, at your first attempt, with less than perfect set-up, I would say that's very good.

If you want to get better - work on your set-up rather than trying different bullets.

Mark i have some 85gn 6mm precision ballistics if you want to try them i shot them in my 6br 1-8 a few years back they shot really well didnt do too much with them because they were for foxing- the 87 vmax did a better job.

if you want some to try let me know.

Brillo,

You did get a 0.368 inch 5-shot group at 100 yards. For a factory Rifle, in competition, at your first attempt, with less than perfect set-up, I would say that's very good.

If you want to get better - work on your set-up rather than trying different bullets.

Oh yes I wanna get better. My first attempt well and truly hooked me so any advice, especially on set-up will be really appreciated.

I know there is no short cut to experience but I'd be crass to ignore the benefits of the artists I met at Diggle. Any help please...

Hi Mark

I will second what Vince says, your groups showed promise, learn how to read the wind flags first and see if the groups improve.

If not, then try changing the load, it takes time to get the technique right.

Cheers

Bruce

Archived