Scope advice needed

Hi guys

Need a little help, I've had a S & B 5 - 25 PMII on backorder for the last 6 months from the Sportsman, but due to S & B commitment to good cause abroad

no one still has any idea when they are due !!! So I've thought about either the Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56T or even Diavari 6-25x72T, been thinking about these as I've already bought the 34mm rings etc , the x 72 is shown on Zeiss's site as having a 34mm tube but the x 56 shows this having a 33 mm tube ? Would 33mm tube hold in 34mm rings ?? Dont really want to get into shimming.

Any advice please , never owned a zeiss , recommendation for reticles either 40, 43 or 63. ???? Already got a couple of Nightforces, just fancied a change

Or should I hang on for the S & B ????

Cheers Steve

The 72 mil zeiss is one hell of a scope, and although i have a big schmidt, i have to say, i reckon the zeiss tops it for clarity, plus it has hollow mil dots.If i was going for either again, it would be the zeiss, its brightness is unreal.

The 72 mil zeiss is one hell of a scope, and although i have a big schmidt, i have to say, i reckon the zeiss tops it for clarity, plus it has hollow mil dots.If i was going for either again, it would be the zeiss, its brightness is unreal.

"Cheers Baldie",

I think u have just made my mind up for me. Thanks again

Cheers Steve

Steve,

I have to agree with Baldie, I have been using a Zeiss 72 on my 20 cal for about a year now and I would say that its head and shoulders above the nightforce scopes in terms of clarity and ease of use. With the NXS the max mag I could use lamping was about 14 but with the zeiss you can go all the way to 24 and easily make out charlie at over 300yards.The illuminated reticle is easy to adjust, I'm using the #40 reticle which is superb for foxing and pretty good for F class. All in all this is the best scope I have used.

Regards,

Nick.

Have you needed to adjust the stock to allow for the 75mm or so lens ?. I suppose with an A4 or A5 that is easy but not quite so straightforward for say a laminated stock.

I did look through a pair of very large Ziess Binos one night last summer and could make out Muntjac at 100 yards in almost total darkeness.

A

Cheers Nick & A,

THink the scope is sold, just need to finalise the reticle ?? 40/ 60 / 63 ??

Nick,

Would also be interested to know more about ur 20 PPC, who u got to do the build, what action, barrel, stock u used ? THought about having one built, was advised to use "Boney Bowers" but would welcome experiences.

Cheers guys

Steve

Guest steyrman2

well i put a new zeiss 6x24x72 on the 338 happy with it so far it has a 63 ret i have looked thru the s&b 5x25x56 the zeiss would be a better hunting scope and the s&b would make a better sniping long range target work thats my input putting it to test on deer tomorrow :o 180 grain btips have gun set and all my clicks sorted will keep you posted

Hi Alcydon,

I've not had any problems with the stock/scope height as I've got an adjustable stock.

Steve,

My rifle was infact built by Steve Bowers on a BAT action with a pacnor barrel on a laminated Gary Cane stock jewel trigger and an excellent protoype PES moderator. Boney is an excellent gunsmith and his work is second to none. If you want anymore info in respect of recomendations etc please PM me.

With regard to the 20ppc as a varmint calibre I can highly recommend it, with the 39gr sierra blitzkings it can easily reach out to 500yards. As an example I was zeroing at 100yrds the other day and had fired 5 or 6 rounds when I noticed a movement in the other corner of the field, looking through the rangefinder I saw that it was a fox, I ranged it a 410yards dialed in the correction taken of Quickload put the dot behind charlies shoulder and squeezed of the shot, there is no recoil and I saw the fox crumple a split second later. I have also used it in an F class comp, winning the 300yard stage, comming second at 500yards and holding its own at 600, all in all a great little cartridge.

Nick.

Archived