Light hunting rifle 400m

ejg223

I neded to find out what kind of drop I am getting further out and did a rush job test in a field with my light 20" woodland/running game 308. I changed to the Kahles scope and had a go at 400m. Initially the shots were a bit low and after compensating I fired a six shot group. Wind was fluky and averaged at 10mph. The 4.5 cm vertical spread I thought was not too bad especially for a hundred year old action.

DSCN7638_zps087817f9.jpg

DSCN7637_zpsb679bdbb.jpg

6shotmauser400m_zps312381cf.jpg

edi

Wind spoiled a great group there Edi,

The old girl is shooting very well..

Oh and you are too :D

Thanks Ronin,

this Mauser has an exceptional action, was chosen out of many rifles. A lot of work to get her they way she is though.

There's a little 300yd target shoot coming up and my new rifle isn't ready yet so I was thinking of taking this one for the laugh. This is my second hunting rifle with a Lothar Walther barrel and both seem to shoot well without any fuss. Will be interesting to compare now to my new Bergara barrelled E-Tac.

edi

I find there is just something about this type of rifle in 308 ? I can be really struggling on the range for no apparent reason but if I pick up my old favorite 308 I just can't seem to get it wrong , no matter how sloppy my technique is?

A short barrelled 308 seems a very forgiving combination ?

Great shooting from a field position by the way !

Every LW barrelled rifle ive had a hand in has shot very very well, they may be harder steel to machine, but the quality of the barrels are very good, not sure you will get the same performance from Bergara though....

Hi edi, nice rifle. So how difficult is it to convert a mauser action to an aics mag system. Do you have to mill the receiver?

I love the idea as i really like parker-hale rifles and have one and would like more.

Kind regards

Glen.

Ronin, I might find out the hard way with Bergara but then again we all have to take risks. Just getting three actions fitted by Fergal White in Athlone.

As far as I understood the Bergara process I think I will hand lapp the barrels myself before shooting.

Casebar, the mag conversion to short action AICS is awkward, but she feeds so sweet now and saved over 200 grams.

Maybe a long action mag would fit better as it is narrower. For the SA AICS one needs to mill out quite a bit of the action. Finding a bottom metal is the next problem.

I used a Remmy SA bottom metal and needed to weld on a bit to the rear tang and set the rear action screw further out. The front screw of the bottom metal had a threaded metal insert in the stock and the foreward action screw had an ADL style insert in the stock.

Part of the problem was maybe because I still use the original two stage trigger, meaning the blade has a huge travel. I am not so trigger fussy and have never had an aftermarket trigger yet.

The nicest thing about Mauser I think is that one can get cheap barrels of the shelf from Lothar Walther which are pre-threaded and chambered. The one fitted to my rifle I think only cost 200 Euro and fitting is much cheaper because it only needs head spacing. I used a #720 profile.

Thanks gaz6br & tackb

edi

Hi,

Interesting mag conversion for a M98. FN used to do a conversion for their Mauser actioned sniping rifles, they used a modified Mauser trigger guard/ mag box unit that accepted a metric pattern FAL (SLR) magazine. I came across a couple of sets of components and used them to build Mauser actioned rifles with McMillan stocks. I believe the customers used them for practical rifle shoots where the 20 rd capacity was appreciated,

Alan

Archived