smle quickload check

shotgun sam

Vihtavuori list 41.7 grains as being the max load, I tend to load mine around 40 for SMLE, no.4 and no.5. Once you've fire formed your brass it helps to just neck size thereafter due to the sloppy chambers and design of the cartridge.

am soon getting an 1917 SMLE 303 can someone do a quickload check for me I will be using Vit N140 powder, Privi brass and 174 grain fmj.

Thanks

Sam

you need the COL length

case length

bullet length / boat tail flat base ? what make ?

water capacity / if you can work that out ?

barrel length and twist !

what powder charge ?

then one of us who uses it might be able to get a decent pridiction ! atb - tim ..

am soon getting an 1917 SMLE 303 can someone do a quickload check for me I will be using Vit N140 powder, Privi brass and 174 grain fmj.

Thanks

Sam

Check for what? Using VV data it will either shoot or not. I have a couple of dozen 303's (I collect them) and I have yet to find a load that works in all of them equally. Your 303 may detest your component choices.~Andrew

Check for what? Using VV data it will either shoot or not. I have a couple of dozen 303's (I collect them) and I have yet to find a load that works in all of them equally. Your 303 may detest your component choices.~Andrew

Just out of interest Andrew, have you found any common ground on loads for your rifles - i.e. one particular powder or bullet that seem to work well across the board?

Just out of interest Andrew, have you found any common ground on loads for your rifles - i.e. one particular powder or bullet that seem to work well across the board?

Not really. In most of the military I shoot cast bullets fit to the throat. Best accuracy and least wear on some pretty expensive rifles. For my hunting rifles, I have found a Hornady 174 grain RN over IMR 4350 is very good. I have two "light express" rifles I load for and one shoots this combination accurately and more importantly, to the regulated sights, the other rifle was regulated to 210 grain bullets so I stick to cast with this loaded over the same powder. I have found that many European "303" bullets are .310" diameter. Hornady and Winchester both produce .312" bullets and I have seen fine accuracy when they are used. I have never used PPU but I see them, advertized here once in a while. I'd love to know how they perform from the Lee's.~Andrew

Archived