Still thinking of getting a cheap scope from the states?

londonhunter

My cousin who lives in Ws state in the US send me this article. I oroginally had ask him to send me a scope since he is also a hunter............not any more

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - An Indonesian man staying in Wisconsin was indicted Thursday for trying to illegally export military equipment to his home country.

A federal grand jury in Madison returned a two-count indictment against Doli Syarief Pulungan, who has been staying in Cashton, Wis., a small town near La Crosse.

Federal prosecutors said Pulungan attempted to conspire with others to export scopes used on rifles such as the M-16 and AR-15. The scopes are considered sensitive military equipment and require a license or written approval from the federal government to be exported.

A second count in the indictment accuses Pulungan, age unknown, of lying to the FBI about whether he had been living in the U.S. He told investigators he had only recently traveled here.

Pulungan pleaded not guilty to the charges Thursday in U.S. District Court in Madison. He was ordered detained pending trial, which is scheduled for late January.

The indictment accuses Pulungan of sending an e-mail in July instructing an unnamed person living in Wisconsin to order 100 Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T Riflescopes.

He allegedly told the person to have the scopes shipped to his home for later shipment overseas and not to tell the company the scopes were going to end up in Indonesia, the indictment adds.

In September, Pulungan asked another person in Wisconsin to buy 100 more of the same scopes. He asked the person to ship the equipment to Saudi Arabia and then on to Indonesia, the indictment said.

Pulungan faces up to 15 years in federal prison.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Guest varmartin

So...does that mean all of us with US made scopes, that may need to be shipped back to the US for warranty repairs now need to get a license or written approval from the federal government to be exported back to us here in the UK.?

Martin

I have 03 conquest which I got sent out without export licence so I dont think I am going to chance it. My counsin part owns a gun club and he has circular from law enforcement agnecy and home land agency wanting to know about anybody they (the management) considers suspicios...........

They also stress that all gun parts needs an export and import scrutiny before it can be shipped. I am sure some smarty pants is going to post pressure bearing parts only but the fact is once you are outside the large cities you are in the hands of the local officers and they do not always knows the entire verbage of the law hence your retailer or friend might get arrested FIRST and then they will talk. This is the bottom line from my cousin.

londonhunter

I have been costing up Nightforce recently, in round figures it is maybe $50 cheaper from the US but the cost of the export lic would need to be added if you can find a US merchent willing to apply for one. At the same time you have to apply for a UK import licence which while free is just more work.

Cant speak for other brands though.

In my book it is just not worth the hassle.

As an aside it just goes to show how easily the authorities can see and read what people think are private e mails. I had a discussion on this elsewhere recently.

A

The way i see it is that its worth sending an email to your chosen US supplier and ask them if they will ship to the UK.

Import restrictions vary depending upon quantity and more importantly country, Indonesia is not exactly on USA's friendly list.

Ian

No point sending it to D&B then, Bill will only supply inside USA or to someone who can do the export.

A

We,ve been over this subject many times, and this just serves as a warning, that the authorities in America, are actively enforcing their laws. OK, this guy was taking the piss, as an order for 100 close quarter combat scopes would, or should, ring alarm bells anywhere, but dont forget, any scope with a mildot ret, falls under the same law.

We had a thread a while back, regarding a grey imported zeiss, and zeiss uk wouldn,t touch it. I can assure you that GMK [leupold] and RUAG are exactly the same...if your serial number doesnt come up on their import inventory, your guarantee isn,t worth jack that which promotes growth and vigour in the UK.This means you have to run the risk of sending it back to the states, with all the licensing nightmare that goes with it. Still want to save £100?

America is rapidly becoming an absolute nightmare to deal with, i know we keep on about it, but recently its got a lot worse, and until the wars stop, nothing is gonna change.

I have a vested interest , because i,m trade, and dont like to see our sales going abroad, yes we are a lot dearer, due to the importer, and our margins, but at least if your leup breaks, you can bring it back to us, and it will be directly replaced by the importer, no questions asked.

Guest cyprinuschris

After recently importing a zeiss conquest scope and paying the import duties etc. I still ended up saving over £150 then reading the warrranty card I saw the nightmare that could be if the warranty was needed that they do not accept scopes imported from abroad, so an email was sent where they replied if the warranty was needed the scope would have to be sent to Germany then Germany would have to send it to the USA then i get an email from Germany saying they do not accept conquests because they assembled in USA, now the money saved in the first place is of little significance because how much would the postage charges cost if anything could be worked out. But it still does my head in, that on this little island of ours that it is a complete rip off.So if you are tempted go for a Leupold youre warranty might stand then again it might not. So sorry to the british retailers, I know you have to cover import charges and overheads and that but I'd still pay from abroad and pay the vat charges and import charges and the postal charges that we now incur aswell because the royal mail have got in the act of making money on imports. But i still like to save money and everyone does, it's in our nature whether my warranty stands or not, if I wanted, I could of bought a same priced scope here with little warranty but prefer better.. I do not mean to offend anyone but if the choice is there why not.

Since the tunnel was excavated we are nothing more than the cul-de-sac of europe

As I understand it Ziess Conquests are assembled by Meopta, Meopta's in the UK have a similar model line up to Conquest and may be a safer option. Not saying that Meopta branded products have Ziess internals though but several people here say they are pretty decent.

A

Well guys i've just taken delivery of a Leupold 8.5 - 25 x 50 vxIII with varminter reticle from a US seller/dealer on Ebay. It took only 4 days to arrive and cost me £485 inc postage. The seller marked it as a gift so there was no import duty to pay. Quids in i'm thinking... :P

The downside is that as a number of you smithys on this site have said time and time again, i'll have to return it to the states for warranty if i have a prob with it. Plus, the scope has a couple of marks on it that i wouldn't have accepted if i'd bought it from a dealer here but will be hidden by the fitting of Butler creeks. You know how scopes look when they've never seen the light of day since packed at the factory??? They have that oh so new look with not a blemish or spot of dust on them? Well this one didn't. methinks it may have been on display or something at some point.

Well ya pays ya money too quickly and ya repents at leisure and i'm doing just that...

Lesson learned for me lads.. We may have to pay over the odds for stuff imported into our green and pleasant land but at least you have the back up when you need it when purchased from a Brit dealer... Nuff said...

Grant..

Grant, Ive mentioned here before that at least a few

years ago Leupold had a very good service in Germany.

They fixed an old vxll for me that had several owners

and they didn't charge a penny. Repair was done within a week.

I personally wouldn't buy a conquest at the moment but

would buy a new or second hand Leupold anytime.

edi

Grant

Hope you realise that you would be responsible (not the chap that posted it) for any duty, tax and fines imposed by a court if HMR&C opened the package and decided that the gift (still taxable) was above the value limit where Duty and VAT are payable and there was a deliberate attempt to evade paying what was due. :P

John MH

Grant,

the addr. of the Leupold service.

He also does doctor scopes.

Geräteservice und Montage

Harald Ros

Coburger Straße 71

98673 Eisfeld

Tel. +49 (0) 3686 / 61 59 28

Fax.+49 (0) 36 86 / 61 59 29

harald_ros@t-online.de

I'm sure he is the official repair agent for Leupold

edi

He sure is edi, my mate bought a used 4.5-14x50 with an illuminated retical and when he changed the battery the iluminator did not work.

This is the good bit, he contacted the importer and they told him to contact Leupold USA!!!

Leupold told him that the 2 year guarentee on the electrical components of the scope had expired and that he should send it to the importers and they would forward it to the European service centre in Germany.

It was only when he told the importers what Leupold said that they accepted his scope for repair and sent it onto the European service centre.

Even though the guarantee had expired they fixed the problem and provided him with a new battery of the corect type all free of charge

Ian

Anyone marking an item as a gift in the united states, is committing a federal offence, punishable by a prison term [15 years max] some of the US dealers understandably get upset when asked to do this, plus as already mentioned, its UK tax, vat etc dodging. I would rather pay it, the last bloke to ride a derby winner, was lester piggots cellmate. :o

Grant,

the addr. of the Leupold service.

He also does doctor scopes.

Geräteservice und Montage

Harald Ros

Coburger Straße 71

98673 Eisfeld

Tel. +49 (0) 3686 / 61 59 28

Fax.+49 (0) 36 86 / 61 59 29

harald_ros@t-online.de

I'm sure he is the official repair agent for Leupold

edi