public liability insurance

1967spud

i didnt realise how bloody hard it was to get a simple quote for insurance as a retailer inthe shooting industry

No problems here for retail of consumables and manufacture of non pressure bearing parts, adding the manufacture of rifle actions and chassis systems took a few goes to get sorted.

Wait until you need to apply for your Open Import Licence or have to fill in your first Export Licence Application...

I use Oval insurance Mark. They will tailor the policy to exactly what you need and are not stupid about the proof act like other companies can be, basically they understand it, and dont enforce silly non-legal rules.

My policies cover me for the build and manufacture of rifles and shotguns , public liability for the same, range testing on public ranges, with guns either proofed or unproofed. Repair of the same. Cover for customers guns in my works etc etc. They also did me an excellent cover for rifles in transit, for guns up to a value of £5000 per single consignment.

You need to ask for Julieanne at oval insurance company, on 0117 300 6122

Full marks to you for actually getting cover.

There are many, many people out there selling goods, and actually building and repairing rifles without any insurance cover whatsoever.

I personally consider that truly appalling, and if it were down to me, would be illegal. I would make it a condition of the grant of an RFD that insurance was mandatory.

I tried Oval but by the time they finally got back to me, a week, i had done the deal with Blue fin in less then 24 hours. I do agree with your points about proof etc but they dont particularly apply to my line of work, blu fin also came in 30% cheaper and gave me goods in transit but realistically, my scale is far smaller then most require as it is mainly for testing of firearms and they were keen to point out that if my scale increased so would the policy and their requirements from me, security levels etc. I suspect Blue fin were more flexible in tailoring a policy to my requirements and although a bit slow, Oval were very easy to talk to and deal with and I wouldnt hesitate to say they were helpful and worth asking.

There are many, many people out there selling goods, and actually building and repairing rifles without any insurance cover whatsoever.
I personally consider that truly appalling, and if it were down to me, would be illegal. I would make it a condition of the grant of an RFD that insurance was mandatory.

Absolutely 100% agree with you. We are with Bannerman and Randall for the business and normal liability insurance however they could not supply cover when we asked for liability cover for our actions, in simple terms we were not big enough to make it worthwhile as they prefer to deal with turnovers into the millions. We found it in the end but it was not cheap and we have some agreed restrictions on countries we can sell to. It was a nightmare to get sorted and I wonder how many people just skip this bit because it is a PITA

Archived