The standard of Win HP Subs - hunting substitute recommendation?

jungle_re

Not long bought a 500 brick the first i've had in a black wrapper. I used to use these for everything, rabbit,rats etc and also for the LSR target league I was in; as they always cycled good and were as accurate as low to medium club target rounds (for those that don't shoot it its a PL14 shot standing unsupported at 25). Just got back to doing competitions again juggling with shooting around being at sea and I was really bad. Put it down to poor shooting and lack of practice. In the end I got fed up and shot it off a rest about 1.5" groups at 25yrds! They must have changed the formula but they are poor, chucked in some RWS target (£3 a 50 box) and all hole touching and the first proper card i shot a 98!

Now though I need a HP for hunting that is also good, any recommendation for a hunting round for the S/A? Or anyone using target R/N, I suspect for head shots in .22lr range the soft lead with deform a fair bit without the HP?

Cheers

Will

Have a look at this,(

), haven't tried it yet but thinking about it. Maybe someone on here has tried it and can let us know if the results are any good?

Mike

I was cringing when he pushed down on it with the second pointy die still sticking up under the hand ready to catch a slipping palm, with painfull results! I recon you should just get another brand, who wants to do that 500 times even if it works and I should return them if they shot that bad at 25yds they are faulty. Never found anything that shot that bad at twice the range

never got on with winchester used eley very good in every 22 ive had ,used to have a syss 1022 that was very good using them but with them being very waxy used to clog up the mag very quickly after a while got fed up with cleaning the mags so went back to a bolt gun,as said already try the lapua very good

have to see if i can get some Lapua to try at some point as I do prefer to use just the one round. Tried eley subs quite some time ago and they came like they had been dipped in honey terrible for feeding. Until then its the RWS Target for the range and cci subs for the field, pain in the backside having to change zero after each session as there is an inch or so between there poi and the cci just arnt up to the match cards. Got less than 100 win's left so will just plink them off then see find a supplier for the lapua.

Cheers guys

1. Eley

2. Lapua

3. RWS

Others

Winchester - variable

CCI - erratic

Remington - spray and pray

Alan

I would go along with that switching positions depending on gun in question

I shoot two Marlins, one bolt the other semi, the winchester are ok in the bolt for about 75yards but Eley subs are much better. If I fire winchester through the semi I'm just making noise, Eley are ok but fo best results in the semi I've yet to find a better sub than CCI

I sorted my last brick of Winchester subs by "rim thickness" as an experiment. Batched in this way the groups were better than Eley subs but without sorting, the Eleys were better. Once I finish off this batch of winchesters I will have to decide if its worth the effort to sort another brick or try something else.

The Eley wax seems less sticky and extensive than it used to be. Might try sorting a batch to compare to the remaining Winchesters.

Mind you, sometimes life's too short to sort.

At 55 yards the eley subs can shoot 5p sized groups from my Annie 1417. Can't manage that with any other hollowpoint I've tried including winnies, cci's, rws. I find the winnies and cci's perform about the same overall. Not tried any of the "new brand" winnies yet though. I'm getting around 3/4 inch groups with the last ones I tried at 55 yard zero. Same with cci subs. Rws not so good though. With the rws I can shoot three touching and the other two seem to fly off at seven to nine o'clock from the rest of the five shot group.

Archived