turret wraps

Mash67

hi

i'm looking for help on this one please,i've read a few posts here and there but i'm just not getting how to,perhaps i dont understand the technical words or where to find them on the programmes,

i've got the office suite on windows,i really want to make them myself so i can carry on in the future.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Matt

Hello Matt

Measure the circumference of your turret and divide by the number of clicks in a full turn.

For example, Sightron have 1/4 clicks and 15 mins/turn so 60 clicks/divisions to be divided into 90mm. So a scale with a mark every 1.5mm. Then add the data from a drop chart at corresponding points on the scale.

I use the drawing facility in adobe pagemaker.

After the Quarry shoot I should have time to start making wraps for other makes of scopes if anyone is interested.

Rup

examples

2012-05-20160142.jpg

1363132729461.jpg

I plan on doing this for my new rifles this summer once I have loads sorted. using office will be difficult as the key to making these is to be able to accurately print to scale. Most print/photo apps can do this as they need to be able to get the colour brake down for printing to register (thus Adobe software being particularly good its the darling of the printing world). I'm going down the AutoCAD route as its what I know best but i'd imagine that with the free google sketch up app you could manage quite well again the key is to me able to print at drawing units. One thing to be warry about though is the thickness of the sticker/paper as this will add the the circumferenc of the turret and may add a click or so error its somethign i'm giving thought to with a plan to print waterproof negative glow in the dark wraps as this is quite thick (ie the writing is glow in the dark the rest is blacked out).

Once ive knocked up my drawings for the turrets i plan on using these on my laser printer:

http://www.labelplanet.co.uk/clear-laser-labels.php

Would prefer the matt ones but they are not waterproof - the plan is to print on the clear label in negative then stick over a high glow backing. If I can get them looking as good as Oakens but in reverse colours i'll be well happy

good luck

I like the sound of glow in the dark!

Best way I have found to measure the circumference is to wrap a strip of paper around and trim until the ends meet perfectly.

having black writing on glow on the dark is straight forward I found quite a few links, my idea is a little hit and miss as it is dependant on the ink obscuring the glow well enough and the lines left un printed being fine and crisp enough. Not sure how it will end up but will post in the summer once the rifles have turned up and i know the drops for the loads. If they turn out half as good as yours i'll be happy.

Ok this is a bit anal but some of you will cherish this.................. others will laugh

For info a normal piece of A4 is 4 thou or 0.1mm thick (don't ask) so as jungle rightly pointed out this should be factored in. So a turret of say 40mm diameter is actually 40.1mm diameter when calculating the mean circumference. Seeing as the printing is on the outside of the paper then you need to double this so add 0.2mm to the turret(40.2mm)

If you used polyester waterproof printing labels they are considerably thicker then stuck onto glow backing which tends to be thick could well be enough to a click or 2 out, i'll have to wait and see. i'd hate to go to the effort and have it even 1 click out it would defeat the whole object.

I like the sound of glow in the dark!

Best way I have found to measure the circumference is to wrap a strip of paper around and trim until the ends meet perfectly.

diameter x 3.141 = circmference,would like some nightforce wraps when you get going.pc

diameter x 3.141 = circmference,would like some nightforce wraps when you get going.pc

Sort of, see my post above. Diameter plus x2 thicknesses of your wrapper x 3.142 = circumference.

The string method mentioned doesn't factor in the thickness of the string.

What about using your micrometer to measure the diameter of the scope knob, correct the diameter for the thickness of the paper and then multiply by pi?

http://www.mathsisfun.com/definitions/pi.html

Regards JCS

eldon your right didnt read you post till your reply or round up to 3.142.either way its done i do like the looks/simplicity/speed, beats trying to write it with a pen,just wish i had the skills to do my own

Hello Matt

Measure the circumference of your turret and divide by the number of clicks in a full turn.

For example, Sightron have 1/4 clicks and 15 mins/turn so 60 clicks/divisions to be divided into 90mm. So a scale with a mark every 1.5mm. Then add the data from a drop chart at corresponding points on the scale.

I use the drawing facility in adobe pagemaker.

After the Quarry shoot I should have time to start making wraps for other makes of scopes if anyone is interested.

Rup

examples

2012-05-20160142.jpg

1363132729461.jpg

Looks good

Archived