.204 ruger for target shooting

Hi all new to the forum and the target shooting world my nearest thing to target shooting has been bullet development and zeroing but i will hopefully be meeting some of you at diggel soon.

Antway back to the question dose anyone shoot the little .204 at the ranges and if so how far do you shoot it and what bullet weight are you using as i have a howa with a varmint barrel and enjoy shooting it at longish distances i have took it upto 500 yrds i bought it as my foxing set up and its ace abit heavy but i dont carry it far. I have just had to go onto 40gn vmax can"t get hold any 39gn sbk around hear but just interested to know who uses one.

cheers

pc1

I think you may run into issues with the speed limits on military ranges.

Don't know what they are but sure someone will provide details. Think around 3200fps?

Don't know what they are but sure someone will provide details. Think around 3200fps?

Diggle is a private range not a military one.

Diggle is a private range not a military one.

Hi all new to the forum and the target shooting world my nearest thing to target shooting has been bullet development and zeroing but i will hopefully be meeting some of you at diggel soon.

Antway back to the question dose anyone shoot the little .204 at the ranges and if so how far do you shoot it and what bullet weight are you using as i have a howa with a varmint barrel and enjoy shooting it at longish distances i have took it upto 500 yrds i bought it as my foxing set up and its ace abit heavy but i dont carry it far. I have just had to go onto 40gn vmax can"t get hold any 39gn sbk around hear but just interested to know who uses one.

cheers

pc1

Just remember you shouldn't be using expanding (v-max) if its scored, there are exceptions but that's the general rule. Develop a target load separate to your foxing load. Lots of different cartridges are used but you wont qualify for FTR and will need to shoot open class when f class shooting. Tactical and other events its all lumped together generally

PC1

The other thing to consider is the size of the bullet hole.

If you shoot with a club that uses butts with targets that are run up and down and patched, after a while it becomes hard to make out the bullet holes, 22's are bad enough, a twenty, although a nice round, would be even worse. All fine and dandy on a pristine target on a fine day, a slightly used one in the rain and your going to be calling 'message 4' all the time :)

Terry

Irrelevant whether its a military range or not. Most ranges are governed by either a velocity limit, or a ft/lbs limit. Not certain about Diggle, but another club i,m a member of [and the members own it] is governed to a ft/lbs limit. I shoot 338 there, but the velocity limits dissallow such things as the fast 17,s.

You will be pissing in the [Diggle] wind past 200 yards my friend. Pick a larger calibre.

Thanks for the info peeps i am not upto date with all the range rules i did know about the expanding ammo could"t be used but i thought if it could be used it would be good to have a go with it i am on the look out for a .308w when my ticket comes back. But like you baldie i was going to go with the 338 lap but was told by alot of people that they could"t be shot on most ranges so i went with .308w.

pc1

Thanks for the info peeps i am not upto date with all the range rules i did know about the expanding ammo could"t be used but i thought if it could be used it would be good to have a go with it i am on the look out for a .308w when my ticket comes back. But like you baldie i was going to go with the 338 lap but was told by alot of people that they could"t be shot on most ranges so i went with .308w.

pc1

Get yourself a 6.5x47,, can shoot from 100 out to a 1000,, good on deer,,,, and foxing with a 95g b/tip,,,

can even shoot f/class in the open group,,,,,

Just food for thought,,

Darrel

P.S did get my arse kicked by Laurie Holland a couple of years ago in the 100yrd benchrest with a 204

Get yourself a 6.5x47,, can shoot from 100 out to a 1000,, good on deer,,,, and foxing with a 95g b/tip,,,

can even shoot f/class in the open group,,,,,

Just food for thought,,

Darrel

P.S did get my arse kicked by Laurie Holland a couple of years ago in the 100yrd benchrest with a 204

i may get somthing else next year it all depends on how crap i am at it lol

i may get somthing else next year it all depends on how crap i am at it lol

100 Bench Rest factory rifle /similar class is one thing-a 22/204 cf isn't such a handicap, as acuracy-real accuracy-is what matters.

But at 600+ yards you will be embarassed with a 204-and maybe worse than that at 1000-it just can't cut it..The 308 will need 34 moa from 100y zero-I doubt that you can even get 204 figures for 1000 y-its way out of puff by 600.But your scope won't allow it, anyhow,and the wind will cause havoc.

Baldie put it more concisely,but a brilliant summary.Stay dry,get the 308-which is just about respectable, until you want to play more seriously. Don't confuse foot lbs/velocity etc with knowing how to read the wind-and that you will learn with a 308/similar,and be able to use it far more,which you will need to do to learn.At least you are giving yourself a chance to enjoy it then.

(A 17 rem will exit a 18g/20 fast..say 4300/4100 fps,but it's not even a reliable 400 y performer,and the 204 is not dissimilar-great short range(300Y) varmint cartridge,but that's it. A 6ppc can shoot in the sub .2 moa,at 100BR but no-one in their right mind would fire it at 1000yds.)

Horses for courses.

george

Yep,

Sort of standard advice I usually tell anyone in your position, ie, just starting in target shooting, and wanting to try a lot of different disciplines.

Get a .308 with a decent length barrel, and if possible a 10 round mag system.

You will be able to compete in virtually any discipline with it.

It will teach you how to read the wind, and cheap ammo is readily available for it.

If the time comes when you want something more esoteric, then the bolt face is the right size for all things fancy.

pc1

Hi again pc1- you didn't mention budget etc- you don't need to spend £1000s each on a rifle and scope-indeed until you get the three basics sorted (wind,wind,wind),you won't really be in a position to benefit from mega pricey gear. But look and learn about what the good guys are using-there will perhaps be something else even better in a couple of years,so don't rush it-but don't be put of by those who say you can't hack it-let alone enjoy it-unless you have the latest March scope etc.You can-though you may not be top competitive-money can't buy that anyhow-though it does need some up market gear to maximise the skill/ability..But you can learn and enjoy with more moderate gear,in the medium range, and not be too shabby at all-most shooters start that way.Make or use decent ammo,though-subject to the same £ points above. 308 will be a bit more economical than 338 ,too.

g

Hi again pc1- you didn't mention budget etc- you don't need to spend £1000s each on a rifle and scope-indeed until you get the three basics sorted (wind,wind,wind),you won't really be in a position to benefit from mega pricey gear. But look and learn about what the good guys are using-there will perhaps be something else even better in a couple of years,so don't rush it-but don't be put of by those who say you can't hack it-let alone enjoy it-unless you have the latest March scope etc.You can-though you may not be top competitive-money can't buy that anyhow-though it does need some up market gear to maximise the skill/ability..But you can learn and enjoy with more moderate gear,in the medium range, and not be too shabby at all-most shooters start that way.Make or use decent ammo,though-subject to the same £ points above. 308 will be a bit more economical than 338 ,too.

g

Hi no your right i wont be using top end gear second hand with a long tube and hopfully not a high shot count with a desent scope on the top. I load all my ammo and spend quiet abit of time tinkering with it. As soon as i have some time at a weekend i will be popping and hopfully gaining knowledge from all you lads and lasses who are allready shooting ( pestering ) as the wife says. As for hacking it i have broad shoulders and very thick skin :).

pc1

Hi no your right i wont be using top end gear second hand with a long tube and hopfully not a high shot count with a desent scope on the top. I load all my ammo and spend quiet abit of time tinkering with it. As soon as i have some time at a weekend i will be popping and hopfully gaining knowledge from all you lads and lasses who are allready shooting ( pestering ) as the wife says. As for hacking it i have broad shoulders and very thick skin :).

pc1

And the right attitude.Enjoy the ride! :)

g

as long as i am out with a gun or rifle i all ways do even if i cant hit out :lol:

OK,but when target shooting others are involved too-see comments on the target markers issues.Hence a rifle that is appropriate,so that others are not inconvenienced.There is good natured tolerance,and advice,yes,but a limit to eg sighting in etc.

george

pc1

You got the first thing right??. The right attitude ;) ,,,,,,and there will be plenty of people to help you at the diggle??, Just make yourself known,,,,

Best of luck, Darrel

I As for hacking it i have broad shoulders and very thick skin :).

pc1

you will need it if you bump into me and GARYS. :ph34r:

as Baldie has stated after 200 yds at diggle with a .22 cal you may as well throw a stick,although Steve Dunn a diggle member use his 22br out to 600 yd on a calm day and he snots a fair few bigger calibre guns.but the guy can shoot!

get yourself along and have a go- its very addictive i have been a member for just over a year and compete in f class open i started off with a rifle shooting off a bi pod now i have the tools for the job-but im skint! :D

Hi pc1 i have a 20tac same thing as 204 i have shot it in Mcqueens at Diggle up to 300yrds as Gary says in a comp with diggle winds it will do ok up to 300yrds but you dont stand much of a chance against the likes of the big guns 300 is you max range dont forget i am refering to competiton shooting the 204 and 20tac will shoot further in the feild but not accurate enough for comps past 300yrds have a go you will see what i mean diggle is a great club come along you will enjoy it.

Hi pc1 i have a 20tac same thing as 204 i have shot it in Mcqueens at Diggle up to 300yrds as Gary says in a comp with diggle winds it will do ok up to 300yrds but you dont stand much of a chance against the likes of the big guns 300 is you max range dont forget i am refering to competiton shooting the 204 and 20tac will shoot further in the feild but not accurate enough for comps past 300yrds have a go you will see what i mean diggle is a great club come along you will enjoy it.

Hi Gunnery i know what you mean with the wind and 204 i have shot mine for 2 years now my target rifle will be a .308w when i manage to find one that tickels my fancy. I am just waiting to get a weekend off work or the lad to come back to work who i am covering for then i am there like a shot.

You got the first thing right??. The right attitude ;) ,,,,,,and there will be plenty of people to help you at the diggle??, Just make yourself known,,,,

Best of luck, Darrel

Cheers Darrel

I have on several occasions taken my 20BR with 50gr Berger Match to Bisley and shot it at 100BR on Short Siberia, that opened a few eyes.

Cant say I would fancy it at 600 yards in wind though, but the craik is the main thing, take it along (pick a less windy day !!) and meet the folk and give it an airing. Anything above last is a bonus.

A

The start of the 100yrd br comps is on April the 6th and there is a 600yrd br comp on the 27,,,

It is worth coming just for the laughs,,,,,,

Just turn up and have a go,,,

Darrel ;)

Its funny that cos i have just book the 6th off work to come :D:D

Archived