.17HMR to .17WSM

been pondering about this new caliber 17winchester super magnum , 20 grain bullet @3000fps vs 17grain @2600 . iv wanted to rebarrel my Anchutz 1517 18" barrel std barrel !, as prob hundreds of people using them, it sucks in the wind ! And for me it hasnt been that accurate (yes could be abit of pilot error!) but im not that bad a shot ! theres also the problem of splitting shoulders and necks on the hmr - i had a few today (hornady orange tip)

honestly , im looking forward to this new one , one thing im wondering is, are the dimentions for the case head/rim the same ? i dont think they are , so itl prob mean changing rifle ultimately , but cant reload ammo! but then if its a new rifle , maybe something i can reload ! 17 AK hornet ? or 17 fireball ?

i havnt really looked into the other 17s , think im off to do just that , thoughts anyone or your personal preferences - on these 17 cals anyone??? ?????

i keeping an eye on the 17 hh to see how it takes off or not.jumped on the 17 fireball wagon and it didnt turn out to well,pitty as it seemed a great round.realy hoping that cz bring out the 527 in a laminate thumbhole same as my 17 hmr 455

i keeping an eye on the 17 hh to see how it takes off or not.jumped on the 17 fireball wagon and it didnt turn out to well,pitty as it seemed a great round.realy hoping that cz bring out the 527 in a laminate thumbhole same as my 17 hmr 455

I'd have though,at least performance wise,if the 17 Fireball didn't deliver,all the other 17s-the 17 rem excepted-would not either,as all the others are inferior.There won't be much in it costwise either,as the hot 17 rfs are not exactly cheap.17 Hornet will be reasonable-but if 20 p more per shot doesn't matter,then why forsake the 17rem ? Unless you don't need to shoot beyond say 200 yards.

How did your Fireball disappoint-and how will anything else in 17 do better? I had/have a 17 rem all through the less that flavour of the decades,until the recent re-emergence of the 17,and it beats them all-some to a pulp,though as above,it can be more than is strictly needed for modest applications.

george

I'd have though,at least performance wise,if the 17 Fireball didn't deliver,all the other 17s-the 17 rem excepted-would not either,as all the others are inferior.There won't be much in it costwise either,as the hot 17 rfs are not exactly cheap.17 Hornet will be reasonable-but if 20 p more per shot doesn't matter,then why forsake the 17rem ? Unless you don't need to shoot beyond say 200 yards.

How did your Fireball disappoint-and how will anything else in 17 do better? I had/have a 17 rem all through the less that flavour of the decades,until the recent re-emergence of the 17,and it beats them all-some to a pulp,though as above,it can be more than is strictly needed for modest applications.

george

as said i thought the fireball was a great round all i wanted was a 200yrd gun for the odd fox but mainly for crows to replace a 17 hmr ,sadly the first remington went back after two days due to a poor chamber then its replacment did not produce reliable accuracy and that was after mounths of trying differant loads, powders ,heads,primers,in the end took it to the smith for him to try to find me a load with no luck .resale value was £100 for a gun that cost me £750 and god knows how much in loading in the end had a 204 put on and now its a great rifle.now thinking again about replacing the 17 hmr but dont want /need something that will perform over 200 yrd got the 204 and 22br for that .but i have to admit to liking the 17 rem in the for sale adds recently

Go for the rem or a fireball if you can find one. I know where there is a nice little annie cf action with lothar match barrel on it

chambered in 17 fireball. Soon as its been screwcut then its off to proof house. And will be for sale.

Around 575 pound I think the smith wanted for it. Not bad for a new unfired match barrel.

Also feeds perfect from action. I know as I've handled it in his workshop. Bargain for that price and make a great all about vermin fox rifle.

Im also sure he has some redding comp dies for it at extra cost. I went out with rem at weekend. Some 20 vmax are returning great groups. The wood pigeons didn't like them after abit of load testing and zero.

If you want to view fireball smith is only up motorway from you. Atb jay

The Anschutz would require some serious modification to the bolt face and serious machining of a new magazine. Additionally, the Winchester 17 operates at 33K psi which puts it far out of the safety zone for your average one-lug .22 chassis including the CZ 455's.

In a word: Don't. (...bother)

At the SHOT Show in Las Vegas there were two rifles being shot at the Press shoot: Both Savages. Winchester had one. Savage had the other. The Winchester gun was repeatedly failing to feed or extract. The Savage gun functioned flawlessly which makes me think it was tweaked a bit for its public debut. I managed to get some chrono data from one of the testing organizations and the velocities were not up to advertized speeds. About 2800 fps for an average. The striking part was a 400 fp/sec extreme spread with the low velocity in the 25's and the high in the 29s. They still have some bugs to work out.

I ordered one of the Savage rifles before the SHOT (to rebarrel to 5mm Remington) but actually handled one for the first time at the Show. Awful. Felt like a toy more than a rifle. I'm not holding my breath on this one and the industry isn't either, it seems. Gun makers canvassed at the SHOT seemed to have adopted a wait-n-see attitude.~Andrew

The Anschutz would require some serious modification to the bolt face and serious machining of a new magazine. Additionally, the Winchester 17 operates at 33K psi which puts it far out of the safety zone for your average one-lug .22 chassis including the CZ 455's.

In a word: Don't. (...bother)

At the SHOT Show in Las Vegas there were two rifles being shot at the Press shoot: Both Savages. Winchester had one. Savage had the other. The Winchester gun was repeatedly failing to feed or extract. The Savage gun functioned flawlessly which makes me think it was tweaked a bit for its public debut. I managed to get some chrono data from one of the testing organizations and the velocities were not up to advertized speeds. About 2800 fps for an average. The striking part was a 400 fp/sec extreme spread with the low velocity in the 25's and the high in the 29s. They still have some bugs to work out.

I ordered one of the Savage rifles before the SHOT (to rebarrel to 5mm Remington) but actually handled one for the first time at the Show. Awful. Felt like a toy more than a rifle. I'm not holding my breath on this one and the industry isn't either, it seems. Gun makers canvassed at the SHOT seemed to have adopted a wait-n-see attitude.~Andrew

Oh dear! I though this was going to be a big one " the gun that does what the HMR never did" I was thinking the same on actions / pressure when I read the first post

as said i thought the fireball was a great round all i wanted was a 200yrd gun for the odd fox but mainly for crows to replace a 17 hmr ,sadly the first remington went back after two days due to a poor chamber then its replacment did not produce reliable accuracy and that was after mounths of trying differant loads, powders ,heads,primers,in the end took it to the smith for him to try to find me a load with no luck .resale value was £100 for a gun that cost me £750 and god knows how much in loading in the end had a 204 put on and now its a great rifle.now thinking again about replacing the 17 hmr but dont want /need something that will perform over 200 yrd got the 204 and 22br for that .but i have to admit to liking the 17 rem in the for sale adds recently

Thanks PC,that's clear-your problem was with specific dud rifle(s) not the cartridge.,which does not usually have any problems,and would be superior to any rf etc at 200,as it's still well within it's comfort zone,whereas they are starting to stretch theirs,perhaps too much,though the jury is still out on the 17 Hornet,for those who want to maybe do it,but the hard way!

george

i viewed a clip on youtube using a savage ! - great rifle maker and some very accurate! , it had one miss-fire ! the bolt lift was very stiff ! it just wasnt feeding that great! i know its early days but they may just may be able to make it work as i bet they had to play about with the HMR to work.. it might of been down to the ammo ! but it didnt look good !

Now im thinking if they get it to work , i dont know if i want all the other problems with most 17s reloading wise , so it might be safer to just buy the new 17wsm ! only time will tell ! as it would be mainly for corvids out to 200 maybe 250 on still days ! just have to wait and see i suppose...

I still dont think the new 17 wsm will be a true 200 yard gun. I guess you pay your money and take your chance Atb jay

Hmm...isn't it the quarry that will be at risk,and deserve better.We shall see.

george

• 3 weeks later...
if they can't anneal rimfire brass to stop split cases why build a faster one that will still have pants ammo.i would not bother.

i think the brass is slightly thicker , im sure i heard them say that on the footage i watched .

i think the brass is slightly thicker , im sure i heard them say that on the footage i watched .

mm might help but i have just agreed to buy a savage hornet .build quality is shocking but the hornady dies were 40 quid so i'll re-load and see how accurate it is.i got sick and tired of watching my 223 put bullet on bullet and then the hmr spreading those tiny holes about an " apart and there was nothing to be done.no point having a top end anschutz if the ammo is sub standard.with the hornet there is less bark and less energy making it a worth while gap up to the 223.the 17 rem is so good its like having a second 223 and i fancied something different.

Can't wait to see some of the claims by some future owners of this calibre, just as we all read and heard about when the HMR first came onto the scene!..... should be good for a laugh...lol.

Regards.

anyone want a .17 HMR Anchutz 1517 bedded in T-Hole ? lol

Archived