20 Tac right or wrong decision

gunnery

well after carefull thought and discusions and having the experience of shooting and using my 20tac which as been absolutely spot on for accuracy i have come to the conclusion that at 26" plus mod 6" = 32" long it was lets say a bit awkward to handle out of truck window when foxing this rifle all said and done is only my foxing come plinking rifle so it as to be handy to fit those needs so now it wears a 20" barrel wonder what veiws you 20tac owners have on 20" barrel i beleive the twist rate is 1-9 and i use 40grn v-max vit 133 not had a chance yet to try it out keep you posted.

well after carefull thought and discusions and having the experience of shooting and using my 20tac which as been absolutely spot on for accuracy i have come to the conclusion that at 26" plus mod 6" = 32" long it was lets say a bit awkward to handle out of truck window when foxing this rifle all said and done is only my foxing come plinking rifle so it as to be handy to fit those needs so now it wears a 20" barrel wonder what veiws you 20tac owners have on 20" barrel i beleive the twist rate is 1-9 and i use 40grn v-max vit 133 not had a chance yet to try it out keep you posted.

Worst case scenario-you may have lost 125 fps you just don't need at 'out of window' fox distances-or most any other distance-but have a much better chance of actually getting a shot off.Seems like a reasonable trade off to me-I used a rem mohawk in 222-under 40 inches butt to muzzle, for just that reason.I suspect you will agree,or soon do so.

george

george

hope so from the research i have done i no it will shoot just concerned about maybe changeing the load to a faster powder but it shot that well i dont want to change the load ONLY IF I HAVE TO i have a trip coming up early hours of morning on my way to Dorset so i will see and will know by dinner time thanks.

Barry-you soft tw"t!where were you on sunday? your mucka was there freezing his nuts off.

as for the .20 only shooting will tell you i dont think you will be too bothered about loosing 150fps and your quarry wont know!

dont get too hung up on velocity-its repeatable accuracy that counts.

enjoy Devon.

Hi the chuckle brothers (Gary and Gary) :) i agree accuracy more important than mv to long gary as for sunday you know what us lancastrians are like soft bastards speak to you when i get back from Devon as you call it

I think chopping the barrel would make your 20TAC ideal as a 300yd truck gun, not my cup of tea because most of my shooting is long range varminting so the longer barrel isn't a problem for me.

I wouldnt call a 20 tac a serious long range varminter Ronny.

I think he has made the right decision and he will find the rifle more useful for the intended purpose now.

My 223 has a 20" barrel and it is very handy!

I wouldnt call a 20 tac a serious long range varminter Ronny.

I think he has made the right decision and he will find the rifle more useful for the intended purpose now.

My 223 has a 20" barrel and it is very handy!

you are correct sir-a good vermin gun but not a super long range gun the B.C is very good on .20 cal but they start to run out of steam very quickley .shots out to 250yds make it a point and squirt calibre .had a lot of fun with mine- tac 20 sometimes regret letting it go.

Long range varminting to me is upto 400yds which I think is very achievable for a 20cal.

yeah ok ronny.

like i say i had one for 3 yrs not many about when i had mine so i know there limits.

well lads back from my trip to dorset i set targets out at 100 200 and 300yrds to check in actual shooting conditions the difference if any between my 20 tac with a 26" barrel and now with a 20" barrel at 100 yrds i was a bit disapointed with results at first tryed to shoot a group but the best i could get was 5 shots which i could just cover with a 50p peice but here comes the strange bit after trying and shooting about 30 shots the group started to tighten up to where i could cover 5 shots with 5p peice so at that point i considered that to be zero after it was comfirmed with another 5 shot group.i then decided to shot another 5 shot group at 200yrds by coming up 1moa on my scope 8 clicks giving me a 200yrd zero this is where my scope is left when iam shooting foxes the accuracy was pretty decent again covering 5 shots with 50p where it all change is at 300 yrds on the 26"barrel my ups where 2.3moa to it dead centre on 20" barrel my ups where 3moa do big deal iam very pleased with decision i made because dont forget this is truck foxing rifle and now it is very easy and short and a pleasure to shoot i didnt test any further than 300yrds as i consider this to be max distance for foxing under a lamp but i have confidence that if i wanted to shoot further in daylight at lets say crows i could which i did while i was down there but i wont go into that that would make another story besides people who are not 20tac converts would,nt beleive me anyway but i do beleive i made the right decision any one else on forum with a 20tac 20"barrel what loads and barrel twist do you have thanks for reading i hope you enjoy.

well lads back from my trip to dorset i set targets out at 100 200 and 300yrds to check in actual shooting conditions the difference if any between my 20 tac with a 26" barrel and now with a 20" barrel at 100 yrds i was a bit disapointed with results at first tryed to shoot a group but the best i could get was 5 shots which i could just cover with a 50p peice but here comes the strange bit after trying and shooting about 30 shots the group started to tighten up to where i could cover 5 shots with 5p peice so at that point i considered that to be zero after it was comfirmed with another 5 shot group.i then decided to shot another 5 shot group at 200yrds by coming up 1moa on my scope 8 clicks giving me a 200yrd zero this is where my scope is left when iam shooting foxes the accuracy was pretty decent again covering 5 shots with 50p where it all change is at 300 yrds on the 26"barrel my ups where 2.3moa to it dead centre on 20" barrel my ups where 3moa do big deal iam very pleased with decision i made because dont forget this is truck foxing rifle and now it is very easy and short and a pleasure to shoot i didnt test any further than 300yrds as i consider this to be max distance for foxing under a lamp but i have confidence that if i wanted to shoot further in daylight at lets say crows i could which i did while i was down there but i wont go into that that would make another story besides people who are not 20tac converts would,nt beleive me anyway but i do beleive i made the right decision any one else on forum with a 20tac 20"barrel what loads and barrel twist do you have thanks for reading i hope you enjoy.

Glad it worked out- a few more clicks won't matter (and are in line with a little fps loss,as expected),especially as you leave it set zero out the window. It won't be any better on long range crows (400+),but should not miss much more often...'if at all' is pushing it,though (with any barrel or cartridge!)

george

yes thanks Goerge as you said loss of mv to be expected just need to check how much i have lost but i dont think it is a lot the main thing to me is mangeable and accuracy seems to be the same over the 300 yrds i did shoot out further and seemed to be accurate but more ups needed than when it was a 26" barrel

Hi Darrel yes it is a good foxing set up and very handy being shorter i have lost mv about 150 but i dont think charlie will know that i could stoke it up abit and proberly get back my 150mv because i only use 23 grns vit 133 but it groups ok as it is and accuracy is more important thanks

Hi Darrel yes it is a good foxing set up and very handy being shorter i have lost mv about 150 but i dont think charlie will know that i could stoke it up abit and proberly get back my 150mv because i only use 23 grns vit 133 but it groups ok as it is and accuracy is more important thanks

oh yeah!what about the foxes you missed while away in dorset?

we have all the facts! ;);)

Archived