First loads with 115dtacs

weejohn

Here are my first loads using the 115 dtacs and RL17 . All groupl were shot at 250yds with an extremely variable wind from the right.

Just really after your opinion as to where to try next ? I have to admit to liking the look of the group around 38.3gr.

I had hoped for 3050fps+ but unfortunately the bolt "just" began to get sticky at 39.1gr.

I do understand these are just 3 shot groups but i was running low (now out) of RL17 .

TgtGfx_zpsd3a79fe3.jpg

Hi what caliber is it?

I would not discount the group at 39.1 in variable winds!

It has less vertical dispersion than the group you favoured.

In poor conditions just because you have 3 shots touching doesn't necessarily mean its the best load, it could be luck!

When you have more powder I would test again and this time shoot 5 shot + groups.

Also pick a better day as I've found testing in poor conditions just frustrates and wastes powder and primers.

Cheers

Dave

I would be looking at 39.1 up to 39.5 again, moving up in .2 increments.

As Dave says, the vertical on 39.1 is very good, and the ES on 39.5 is also very good, you might just find something in between the two.

5 shot groups next time and at 100 yards unless it a barmy windless day!

Just read the "bolt getting sticky at 39.1" which will probably mean it will be over pressure in the summer months.

3 shot groups wont tell you anything . You can have a flyer in one group, a pulled shot in another, and a gust of wind in another. That will make every group look like the ones you have already shot.

Its a lot simpler to separate a bad shot from 4 more , and get a better idea of what a group is saying to you.

I,ve ditched reloder powders full stop , most inconsistent....especially reloder 17. I,m guessing you are shooting a 243 AI or SLR ? Try 4831 short cut.

Here are my first loads using the 115 dtacs and RL17 . All groupl were shot at 250yds with an extremely variable wind from the right.

Just really after your opinion as to where to try next ? I have to admit to liking the look of the group around 38.3gr.

I had hoped for 3050fps+ but unfortunately the bolt "just" began to get sticky at 39.1gr.

I do understand these are just 3 shot groups but i was running low (now out) of RL17 .

TgtGfx_zpsd3a79fe3.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm misreading the fall of shot, but isn't 37.5gr the cluster and 38.3 a half choke pattern lower down? :)

If 39.1 is sticky, 37.5 looks to be the place. As a 250yd group it's stunning.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

The rifle is 6x47L with 26" barrel.

I must admit i usually do the testing at 100 yds as i can do that at work but really wanted to work up this load at a farther distance

to look for vertical.

Around me i do struggle to get reloader powders but wanted to stick with it as i think i have been spoilt with the extra speed it gives.

Looks like it will need to be 5 shot groups next time.

You are correct brown dog, the 37.5 is the cluster but i was hoping to push them along a bit faster.

I first thought the groups were terrible but then after inputting the bullet holes with "on target"

it was quite surprising to see the worst group was still only .547 MOA.

Big bullet for a 6x47.

Whats your barrel twist ?

Dont be blinded by speed, it means nothing when its just gone past a fox,s ear doing an extra 200 fps.

One of my F class,short range rifles is a 6x47 Lapua.

Not tried DTACs but it absolutely hammers using N160 and 105 Berger's

If you use the new 105 Hybrids the BC approaches a DTAC.

I tried H4831sc but it was a bit slow. N160 or even at a push N165 may work with DTACs. I tried Rel 17 and although the velocities were good the performance was lack lustre.

Cheers

Dave

For a 26" barrel you are being unrealistic with your expected velocities. Ditch the RL17, as it has never really lived up to any of its own hype. Stick with a proven performer like H4350 and concentrate on getting your ES/SD down.

For a 26" barrel you are being unrealistic with your expected velocities. Ditch the RL17, as it has never really lived up to any of its own hype. Stick with a proven performer like H4350 and concentrate on getting your ES/SD down.

Isn't an ES of 19 rather amazing already?

With an 8 twist you may get better performance with a 105 bullet?

I shoot DTACs out of a 7.5 twist, like you I wanted speed but the 6x47 case is a bit short of boiler room and is better with 105s.

I opted in the end for a 6mmAI and can drive DTACs over 3200 without breaking a sweat.

Cheers

Dave

Archived