Best 223 bullet for fox

simonl

I use remmington 55g acutip, my howa 223 seems to like them, and no foxes missed (though I shoot far fewer and I'm out far less often than most) the groups are always respectable, though I'm not an expert by any means. In a five shot group three will be touching. I find the 55g seem to fly straighter in the wind, though to be honest I'm shooting on foot sub 150 yards, so the wind is less of an issue.

Andy R

Thanks all for your responses to my post. I've opted for 1 in 12" and expect some fun establishing what works best in the 40-55gr range. I'll funamentally be establishing whether I can point it in the right direction and absolutely acknowledge that all this talk of 250 yds plus is largely academic until I'm nailing everything up to 150 :)

Might the FLO let me buy another 223 on the basis of wanting/needing another gun with tighter twist for longer range with heavier bullet?

Hi,

Good to read of genuine modesty here-150 yards in a sorted 223 should be virtually 100% hits.As you say,then you move it out,when drop/wind start to be more challenging. 250y is still reasonable for 223,probably with any bullets-though the very light 36 BVG are not the best! But your approach is commendable-bear in mind that the 'long shots' reported seldom include a hit rate (5/5 is one thing,5/8 another,and 5/12 is getting unethical!)

Good luck with your FLO-some are more savvy than others,though that can go both ways-if (s)he has been reading posts here,(s)he might suggest selling and buying a faster twist....that may well do both...but 'good reason' is negotiable,within reason! Plan B might be a 223 Ackley Improved-you don't especially need it,but it's a different cartridge,and not too removed from standard 223-which it uses to fire form,though appropriate dies needed.There are options-keep an eye on what is being used.And maybe just how often an opportunity for 300+ shot actually arises! Enjoy!

george

• 1 year later...

I see Hornady dont reccommend A-Max for hunting and it doesnt look to me like the bullet is the same as V-Max?

Are some of you guys using A-Max successfully on fox?

I hear AMax is basically a VMax, just the wording on the box that is different!

ok guys we have debated vmax v amax in other threads to death in the past please bear this in mind otherwise this thread will be locked

ok guys we have debated vmax v amax in other threads to death in the past please bear this in mind otherwise this thread will be locked

Sorry, I wasnt aware of any previous problems with such debates. They look like two different bullets to me and was innocently seeking some clarification and experiences from other members.

Sorry, I wasnt aware of any previous problems with such debates.

Me neither, if some one could provide a link so we can have a read, would be good to have a look at.

Steve.

Me neither, if some one could provide a link so we can have a read, would be good to have a look at.

Steve.

Steve,Spud,everyone! Yeah,it keeps coming up,though understandably more critically in the context of legality/lethality for deer shooting.

Hornady site could be more helpful-it claims,the A max is secant ogive,AWP jacket,gives 'some penetration'.That's fine,but the Vmax does not distinguish very well-no ogive/jacket given,only 'dramatic expansion as low as 1600fps'

The most likely difference is in a lighter jacket construction of the Vmax. At least Hornady makes clearer the Zmax is a varmint round,and gives it a gungy green tip,and doesn't send it here,thankfully perhaps.

Why Hornady did not put a different coloured tip on each of the A max and Vmax is a mystery,and a source of much mischief.Maybe less so for small varmints?

Berger eventually got fed up with shooters being unclear-and label their bullets as Target,Hunting,Varmint (and Tactical)-they are all 'match grade' ie made to the high spec associated with 'match' bullets,,but only Target are 'match' bullets by design.)

Please don't lock-yet,unless a very clear once and for all difference is made very clear and useable.That would be a service to all,including the varmints.Many of them have been 'done to death' too,probably with both bullets.If there really is no terminal difference,lock-and load with either for varmints.

Gbal

There is no such thing as a "best" bullet for fox, a well aimed VLD target bullet will drop a fox as quickly and humanely as a 4000fps vmax. Ideally you should use a good varminting bullet that will expand well on impact doing extensive damage to the target, humanely dispatching it. In my experience the skill of shot placement is far more important than the type of bullet. I have shot foxes with VMax, Amax, SBK's, Varminters, VLD's to name but a few, if I had to select my preferred bullet I would use SBK's everytime because Sierra's have proved to be a lot more consistent than anything else. :)

I use 40 gr V-Max. Flat, fast and rarely exit!

My budget Howa will shoot these at 0.3 MOA most days. Also quite good on the longer ranges as I've recently found out, shooting a 6" wide plate at 440 yards (1/4 of a mile).

As stated, any ballistic tip round will do the job.

There is no such thing as a "best" bullet for fox, a well aimed VLD target bullet will drop a fox as quickly and humanely as a 4000fps vmax. Ideally you should use a good varminting bullet that will expand well on impact doing extensive damage to the target, humanely dispatching it. In my experience the skill of shot placement is far more important than the type of bullet. I have shot foxes with VMax, Amax, SBK's, Varminters, VLD's to name but a few, if I had to select my preferred bullet I would use SBK's everytime because Sierra's have proved to be a lot more consistent than anything else. :)

Well said that man! ;) ..I use 69gn smk hpbt in my AR ....not had a runner yet!

Archived