Ideas on specs for a NV dedicated rifle

dorg

After many various rifles for my dedicated NV which is currently a D480 with a pinnical tube, I have decided to have a rifle built to my prefered spec. Firstly the calibre, I favour a fast 22 cal, up until now I have used a 22BR, very efficient but will it feed from another mag other than a Sako ppc mag and the rifle must feed flawlessly.

Due to the effects of recoil on my exspensive nv I want to keep the powder amount as low as sensible while keeping velocity around 3750 fps with a 55gn bullet.

Secondly although I am righthanded, I want a left port, left bolt so I don't have to take my eye from the scope to reload, I will also need a steel picantinney rail extended out the back of the action 2 inches But I have rail that will do this.

Thirdly the rifle needs to be as compact as possible and a 22 inch barrel would be good with a heavy sporter barrel.

Anyone got any ideas please

22BR

Just had this one built for a future NV setup M595 action 22-250 mag feeds flawlessly

22" lothar walther target class hunter profile barrel 1 in 12 twist

Just started on some load development built for 50 to 55 grain bullet range

post-9221-0-85108500-1357418537_thumb.jpg

Since I shot out my 22br I have been using a standard Sako in 22,250. I was hoping to use a calibre with less powder than 36gn. maybe a 223AI but I have little knowledge of this.

Dorg,

Calibres are personal, and everybody has their favourites, so all I will say on them is dont discount some of the 20's.

After several years of using an almost identical set up to yours, and having used it with various rifles.

My shooting is all done on foot and alone, meaning I have to be self contained and carry all my gear. Depending on how you carry out your shooting, if like mine you spend a lot of time on foot, I would think about keeping weight to minimum. My rifle has a 22" sporter weight barrel to keep the weight down, and it is a joy to use and carry compared to my heavy weight/long rifles.

Most shots are relatively short range, so to my mind, negating the need for heavy target weight rifles.

My rifle is also fitted with a quick detachable mount from Precision Rifle Solutions, combined with the large tripod, so when in position I can concentrate on the calling/bait/spotting leaving the rifle setup ready to shoot.

http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2390747

Please post some pictures when you get it up and running.

Done all my nv work with a blaser r93 (243 and 25-06), now liking semi customs so having a t3 rebarreled in .243 on a varmint stock for cheek piece and extra palm swell, going to shoot 70gn ballistic tips from it exclusively. Problem with r93 and archer was the c ocking lever hit the nv so you had to de-c ock between shots when sorting litters

when asked myself the same question last yesr I ended up with a 5/35 SMc. Shoots flat for foxes to nearly 300m and has a super fast frangible light bullet.

Taken over 50 foxes since and it works great with the 32 grainers. There would be arguements against but I have loved the experiment and it shoots great with a medium heavy varmint Luther.

No magazine in my case but that has caused no problems

In terms of other spec I would go for a thumbhole stock every time if you fox a lot on foot and shoot from sticks. I find the grip a thumbhole stock gives is much stronger if you need to reposition the rifle when you are set up on sticks. 1 hand can control the rifle and the other move the sticks all in a single smooth movement.

The long rail is a must too but you have already said that.

If I could make my own purpose built NV rifle I would use the Steyr scout/Elite but with a better smoother bolt, I would also probably rebarrel it in .223 for 40 grain bullets. I know they already make them in .223 but I think it's quite a fast twist.

I'm currently using D480 on a scout in .243 and 58 gr Vmax, but it's to much for short range NV work.

Hi , had a D760 with pinni could not justified a dedecated rifle so sold it , it was on a .22b/r with a 75 amax , now having a .22 B/R, 5th barrel , first with a lighter bullet ,shooting a 53 grain v-max will do the job nicely for me using a pvs-14 omni vlll ,

had 2x 20 b/r barrels 40 grain v-max was very fast and flat , either are very good,

but for recoil go .20 b/r fast and flat,

that my bit for the mix if any good

Hi , had a D760 with pinni could not justified a dedecated rifle so sold it , it was on a .22b/r with a 75 amax , now having a .22 B/R, 5th barrel , first with a lighter bullet ,shooting a 53 grain v-max will do the job nicely for me using a pvs-14 omni vlll ,

had 2x 20 b/r barrels 40 grain v-max was very fast and flat , either are very good,

but for recoil go .20 b/r fast and flat,

that my bit for the mix if any good

Hi Glen,

Do you still shoot a 22br with the 75 amax combination or are you moving from that to the lighter bullet setup instead?

Garry

Hi dorg, sounds a nice project. Would you not be temped to shift from 55grn bullets to say 40grn in something like a .223 AI? Gaz6br has a custom tikka t3 and is getting about 3950fps with 40grn v-max which is seriously flat out to 300m. Or how about one of those flat shooting .20 cals but again you'll be using lighter bullets but not much in the way of powder but no recoil to speak off. On a whole would it not be best to keep the whole outfit as light as possible if your out on foot so a light sporter barrel may be best as you won't be rattling off lots of round every outing so no need for a heavy target type. Iam using a tikka t3 lite with nv at the moment in .223 with 52grn v-max @ 3300fps, seriously accurate load and hits super hard from any angle and it just switches Charlie off and rarly exits. In the 2 years I've had it I could count on 1 hand the number of fox I've taken with it over 220y. I tried the 40grn v-max but the groupings wernt the best but I put that down to powder choice at the time as only had varget to hand. I would keep the whole thing as simple as possible for ease of use and for reloading or if need be buying off the shelf factory ammo. Hope you get it up and running soon.

223 ackley mate, im shooting a 40 grain nozler with very little powder at 3960 fps very flat out to 300 yards. I find it perfect for night work just point and fire ;)

Hi Glen,

Do you still shoot a 22br with the 75 amax combination or are you moving from that to the lighter bullet setup instead?

Garry

Hi Garry, use a 6.5x47 A/I for long range now , sold the famous .22b/r ;-( ,

have got n/v pvs 14 , so wanted flat and fast for it done a bit of resurch and 53g is the way l am going ,

and doing a barrel change system on the A/I for .22 b/r . 6.5x47 and .308 barrels .

should be fun ,

Glen

Having had a play on a ballistics program I thought a 22cal 55gn tip had the best tragectory / windage figures to 350yds also need left bolt, left port . I wanted a 22 cal because I have found foxes are more likely to drop on the spot than with a 20 cal. With a 223 ackley what velocity could I exspect with a 50 or 55grn tip please.I have used a scout for an add on but can you get them lefthanded?

Most of my shooting is done from the roof of a landrover, weight is not really an issue but a light compact rifle would be nice.

Simon I'm fairly sure the Scout wasn't done in left hand, it is for my money the perfect "of the shelf" NV rifle.

I always fancied having one built using this as a platform, but not in that colour! again I don't know if they come left handed.

BAFblueampwhite002_zps009735be.jpg

The tradjectory difference between 3700 fps and 3900 fps with a 200 yard zero at 300 yards is just over a quarter of an inch, I think we all get a little to hung up about speed when using foxing rifles.

I could live with 3700fps

what are you getting Simon? I haven't run my 50 grain Vmax loads for my 22BR through a chrono, but I have with the 40 grain Sierra Blitz and they clocked 3900 fps,

By the way I think the stock in the photo above takes a AI magazine, if it does then the 22BR will feed from it.

Don't know , is there a scaled lefthand bolt,lefthand ported action with a scaled detached mag ? I don't know of one do you.

After many various rifles for my dedicated NV which is currently a D480 with a pinnical tube, I have decided to have a rifle built to my prefered spec. Firstly the calibre, I favour a fast 22 cal, up until now I have used a 22BR, very efficient but will it feed from another mag other than a Sako ppc mag and the rifle must feed flawlessly.

Due to the effects of recoil on my exspensive nv I want to keep the powder amount as low as sensible while keeping velocity around 3750 fps with a 55gn bullet.

Secondly although I am righthanded, I want a left port, left bolt so I don't have to take my eye from the scope to reload, I will also need a steel picantinney rail extended out the back of the action 2 inches But I have rail that will do this.

Thirdly the rifle needs to be as compact as possible and a 22 inch barrel would be good with a heavy sporter barrel.

Anyone got any ideas please

You obviously have WAY to much time on your hands, you need to get back to work! :P

I've just been pondering whether a well made (probably custom) recoil-reducing butt pad, could/would also actually reduce the recoil put upon the NV? You could have what you liked then 22-250, 22br, 243 etc. What do you think?

Elwood ,just twigged your last question my 22br 30.6gn N135, 55 vmax 3780fps.Silpig back Tuesday tiling nearly done. As for the recoil pad it is the shock on the nv unit thats the concern not the recoil on me.

Elwood ,just twigged your last question my 22br 30.6gn N135, 55 vmax 3780fps.Silpig back Tuesday tiling nearly done. As for the recoil pad it is the shock on the nv unit thats the concern not the recoil on me.

Yeah, I know that! But would something that slowed down the whole movement of the gun, not reduce the shock imparted on the scope???

how do hot got much input on rifle build but do have a 22 br .using 53 vmax at moment and geting 3950 using n153 in 22" barrel great round .got a acis 5 shot on it feeds ok but does hang up now and again

Simon I'm fairly sure the Scout wasn't done in left hand, it is for my money the perfect "of the shelf" NV rifle.

I always fancied having one built using this as a platform, but not in that colour! again I don't know if they come left handed.

[img=http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o23/elwood_album/BAFblueampwhite002_zps009735be.jpg]

The tradjectory difference between 3700 fps and 3900 fps with a 200 yard zero at 300 yards is just over a quarter of an inch, I think we all get a little to hung up about speed when using foxing rifles.

Hi Elwood

Can you give some details of the stock etc in the photo,

Thanks

Don't know , is there a scaled lefthand bolt,lefthand ported action with a scaled detached mag ? I don't know of one do you.

I can do you a left bolt left port valkyrie in .223 that would run the AICS plastic 10 round mags. The added benefit of those is that they will take whatever length bullet you will ever need.

An extended rail in whatever MOA you require would also be no problem.

Archived