SAKO FINNFIRE RANGE

mark

The finnfire is a vastly superior weapon to the Quad. The quad however, is a true switch barrel...the finnfire is not. You cannot remove the finnfire barrel and replace it properly without a headspace gauge....even then its an absolute barsteward.

The finnfire is a vastly superior weapon to the Quad. The quad however, is a true switch barrel...the finnfire is not. You cannot remove the finnfire barrel and replace it properly without a headspace gauge....even then its an absolute barsteward.

I'm curious about your comment because I'd been thinking of doing just that, now I wonder what I'm missing (I realize your experience means you're sure to be right).

On my Finnfire I decided that the recess in the bolt head was deeper than required for headspace, so assumed I could just slide the barrel back in with the bolt in place, and tighten the barrel bolts.

Putting a round in the chamber, or even a go-gauge, would appear to make no difference?

Sackot

The shoulder on a finnfire barrel is NOT there to set the barrel with. Its covered by a sliding plastic ring, designed to cover up the groove between the shoulder and action face. The headspace MUST be set with a go-guage....there is no datum point.

The shoulder on a finnfire barrel is NOT there to set the barrel with. Its covered by a sliding plastic ring, designed to cover up the groove between the shoulder and action face. The headspace MUST be set with a go-guage....there is no datum point.

Indeed, I wasn't thinking of using the shoulder you mention, in fact I want to move the shoulder-- the point of the exersize would be to set the barrel back slightly and rechamber, if there is enough meat available.

I wanted to do this because my chamber appears to have been cut with a blunt reamer, and the rifling in the leade has been smeared rather than cut. I hoped that going deeper by the throat length would be enough to fix this.

What I was wondering was this: the bolt face has a recess in it, which looks to me to be deep enough that even if the bolt contacts the barrel face, adequate headspace would still be present. My measurement was a bit crude, I need to remove the extractor to do it more precisely. I'm not certain of the numbers now, but I think I remember that 43 thou should be the minimum allowance for rim+headspace, and I reckoned that the recess was exactly that. If I'm wrong, I suppose I must make or borrow a go-gauge.

Sackot.

• 2 weeks later...

DL

I thought after the Quad came out their value would have actually gone up?

Put them side by side and you will see what I mean B)

Terry

Now that people can go out and buy a quad with the same configuration of stock as the old model of finfire range, It must have an effect on the value of something that used to be pretty exclusive.

Here's one that sold for £800 by the looks of things from the ad.

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15789

If you own a Finnfire Range then don't sell it. I've sold so many guns and have regretted it. I couldn't find a Range for love nor money.

But did find a fab Annie 1710HB that shoots amazingly. Along with my combi 22LR/20G Savage i'll never sell them. Took me five years to find the Savage.

Merry Christmas

Archived