Import tax charges?

craigyboy

Does anyone know what the actual tax charge when importing stuff from the states? Anytime I order from sinclair or similar I never know what its going to be, is there a fixed percentage or is it just lucky dip? Just about to put in a considerable order and just want an idea of how much the really nice people are going to take off me.

Does anyone know what the actual tax charge when importing stuff from the states? Anytime I order from sinclair or similar I never know what its going to be, is there a fixed percentage or is it just lucky dip? Just about to put in a considerable order and just want an idea of how much the really nice people are going to take off me.

hi

everything has a price on it,

but i normally work on 20%

17.5 % vat and about 2 or 3% on the goods. but don't forget they add vat on the postage costs as well. and then you will be charged extra post this end for the hell of it.

ATB

Colin :D

There are many different rates buddy, the Customs and Excise will tell you if you call them.

When you ask they will give you a code number for the item you want to import and the phone number for another department that will tell you the amount of duty and VAT you will need to pay.

You will never pay more then a total of 23 1/2% as this is the max rate which applies to most of the goods we want to import, 17 1/2% Vat and 6% duty

Last time i asked, computer components were zero rated.

You will also get clobbered with a handling fee (robbing bastards) when your parcel arrives hear in the UK, last time i got charged it was £13.50 through parcel force and £10 from UPS.

You must pay this charge up front now before your parcel is released.

When i enquired about this payment, i was told that it was to cover the costs of opening, checking and re-packing more parcels.

Ian

Thats about right, 2 to 4% Duty on the cost of the items plus the postage and then 17.5% VAT on that, plus a handling charge from Parcelfarce of about £8.00. If the Item is sent Express, Parcelfarce charge even more (about £15.00) but it doesn't generally get to you any quicker. I've found that orders of less than about $100 get through Duty free most of the time and for small orders the Parcelfarce handling charge is often higher that the Duty and VAT.

John MH

Ordered a jacket online from New York as part of the wifes Christmas.

All in the jacket plus postage to the UK came in at £270 and took only 3 days to arrive at Heathrow.

Customs plus the ever friendly Pracel Force decided to have £96 as their cut. The jacket was in the

UK 2 weeks without us hearing a word about it. The wife decided to take a drive to the other side of town

and dropped in to Parcel Force and yes there was her jacket, according to the guy on the desk it had been

sitting there for a week. Obviously the bulk of the £96 must have been for the quality service.

regards

Steve

ps

It was still cheaper than buying it in the UK.

I have ordered a fair few itmes fro the stataes, the last order I put in with sinlclair was for about £600 and I was hit with about £150 for importing! Has anyone noticed also sinclair are not air mailing slovents or oils of any kind now even non aersol types, whats up with that seems strange they cant ship those but they can now ship bullets and brass :D

Martin I dont know about scope but I bought my first reloading kit from ebay US and had no problems, I didnt even have to pay import tax on it, dont ask me why not, I think the guy may have worked it somehow that I didnt have to, he done it of his own accord though I must say I never asked him, also bought a lecia rangefinder from Cameraland NY's ebay US shop no problems either.

Guest varmartin

That sounds promising craigyboy....

Got my eye on a couple of scopes..

NIKON BUCKMASTER 6-18X40 SF and a Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x50

For my .22LR and 17HMR.....half what they are here :D

Martin

I am thinking about buying a scope off Ebay USA...from a retailer.

Any tips welcome..

Martin

Hi Martin,I have bought a lot of stuff from USA from evil bay,and,the customs don't check every parcel as they haven't got the capability.So,I usually just take my chances,and,I have only been charged once.If you are buying from a private individual,just get them to mark the parcel as a gift,and,then Customs can't touch it..........good eh? Even some businesses will do this for you,if you ask...............martin. :lol:

I have had pot luck with stuff from the states, always had to pay VAT + Duty+carriage from port of arrival (Usually Coventry) from Sinclair, got away with nothing to pay at all from Woodchuck Den but clobbered from D&B Supply for a stock.

A

Thats about right, 2 to 4% Duty on the cost of the items plus the postage and then 17.5% VAT on that, plus a handling charge from Parcelfarce of about £8.00. If the Item is sent Express, Parcelfarce charge even more (about £15.00) but it doesn't generally get to you any quicker. I've found that orders of less than about $100 get through Duty free most of the time and for small orders the Parcelfarce handling charge is often higher that the Duty and VAT.

John MH

I think the charges from Parcelforce are for paying the customs the tax and VAT (they will not release goods if tax is not paid) as the deliveries I have had only have charges if there is tax to pay.

I was told that the magic figure before you attract tax is about £36 ($70) goods only. delivery charges are separate from the cot of the goods.

17 rem I thought something was up with them, they had pulled all there ebay auctions and were not answering the phone.

The figure before you pay tax is £ 18.00, but once you have been "noticed" you are on the database as a "casual" importer and will normally get clobbered every time.

One legitimate way to save is to get your supplier to do the postage as a separate deal, not on the invoice and put on "post free".

Then you can have a bit more goods value before tax is applied and save the vat on the postage which is a nonsense.

Redfox

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys hot off the press.

Just got my McMillan A5 Stock for my SAKO 75 and here is the breakdown of charges from rip off britain:

This is on £250.

Import Duty £7.34

VAT £48.89 I wonder what large ice cream exchange rate they used??????

Parcel Force Handling £8.00

TOTAL £64.23

Robbin B*&%ards

Thats about par for the course most of the time, very occasionally you get away with it but not often. I have had stuff packed as samples in the past and still got walloped.

You also get taxed on the carriage charge from the supplier to the US point of export. this is included in your bill on which the UK taxes are based.

A

I bought two pair of boot a few months ago from Cabelas to the value of £120 ish and I wasn't charged a penny, on the other hand I have other things sent over and have had to pay £25 Does anyone really know how they work the charges out or does it depend on whether the guy had a leg over last night or not :mellow:

Archived