Think the AI is now "sorted"

Not wishing to out do DS2's earlier thread on his excellent group this morning, I was also out this afternoon.

After two weeks of incessant rain and bad weather it was nice just to get out and shoot some groups with the AW

All from 100 metres:

5 shots under a penny

5shotspenny100mtr.jpg

Penny moved

5shotsuncoveredpenny.jpg

Then tried a full mag (10 shots) at another dot semi rapid fire, also at 100 metres

10shotsunderpenny100mtrs-1.jpg

Penny moved

10shotsuncoveredpenny.jpg

Load is 46.5grains Vit 140 under a 155g Scenar = 2955 fps - ES 25.

At first I struggled to get it to group under 1/2" consistantly, but after a bit of messing with various powders :) , I have now found "the node"

Strangely this is exactly the same load that was recomended to me by fellow AI owners in the states - should have listened to them in the first place - saved me load of time and pennies.....

Hi Ronin,

Bet your as happy as a dog with two tails now you've got the 155 grain Scenars to shoot.

David.

Indeed I am my friend.

Just hope I dont wear out the barrel before the next visit :)

After some kind assistance from Brown Dog in the trigger department I now have a sweet unit, nice and crisp, 100 times better than before.

Hi Ronin,

With groups like that from a 308, I would be as happy as a pig in that which promotes growth and vigour!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic groups!!!

I did have on of those aw,s in my hands last sunday!!, And very impressed i was,,,,

He had to prise it out of my hands ???

Put some pic,s up so that we can all druel over it !!!

All the best from wales Darrel

Just for you Darrell

Mine is in foreground, I think it is DS1's in background (but it could be another board members) at a competition last year in Europe.

DSCN0304.jpg

On the range at 400

400ydsAI.jpg

And at 700

700yardfp.jpg

The AW next to a Brugger and Thomet APR 308 sniper rifle that I tested a few weeks ago.

ComparisonwithAW.jpg

Anytime your free Kal :)

I think I have a load for your TRG :lol:

Hi Kal,

So you going to be bringing your spay can out then - I will send you some info next week.

But you need to do Ronins first so I can get an idea if the colour scheme will clash with my purple ghillie and yellow wellies.

David.

Hi Kal,

So you going to be bringing your spay can out then - I will send you some info next week.

But you need to do Ronins first so I can get an idea if the colour scheme will clash with my purple ghillie and yellow wellies.

David.

:D:lol::lol:

If I could bring it over I would, unless we drive then its a go. Do you think Ronin is up for it...Pink AI AW mmm nice!

Just for you Darrell

Mine is in foreground, I think it is DS1's in background (but it could be another board members) at a competition last year in Europe.

DSCN0304.jpg

On the range at 400

400ydsAI.jpg

And at 700

700yardfp.jpg

The AW next to a Brugger and Thomet APR 308 sniper rifle that I tested a few weeks ago.

ComparisonwithAW.jpg

Cheer,s matey!!!

I love them with the folding stock,s!!!!! Would be fantastic in the landrover???

You would not believe it,, I have been on the brugger web site Today???, Man that is one sweet looking rifle,,,,

Could you tell me what the test was like??? and most of all is there an agent for them in the uk???

Looking at them, I would think that a second morgage might be called for???

I will look forward to any test info!!!!

All the best from wales Darrel

I did a test and sent the details to Target Sports, it may be printed soon - don't know.

However, it shot very well, as good as any other "purpose" rifle.

Very stable platform and typical "over engineered" technology, same as AI.

Cost - no change from £6k for rifle only.

Importer - Viking Arms.

I did a test and sent the details to Target Sports, it may be printed soon - don't know.

However, it shot very well, as good as any other "purpose" rifle.

Very stable platform and typical "over engineered" technology, same as AI.

Cost - no change from £6k for rifle only.

Importer - Viking Arms.

That is one hell of a rifle???

Thanks for the reply!!!! out of my price range i am sorry to say,,,,,

Keep the pic,s and the target group info coming!!!

Very interesting to read,,,,

All the best Darrel

• 2 months later...
Hi Ronin , Just seen your AI and it looks as if you may have know a guy called Nigel Haslem !

Here's a picture of my AW in 6.5x47 .

IMG_2211.jpg

Regards

OSOK

Hi Greg,

that looks a nice piece of kit ! A very accurate round too.

I'll have to pop round and have a look :rolleyes:

Greg

thats affirmative :rolleyes:

I am looking forwards to the 6.5x47 round too.

OSOK,

Nice tape job, please can you give me a bit of info on the bipod, I know it is a Canadian F Class job.

An email addy for the manufacturer would be great (think I have the phone number) and also if you would not mind a description of how it folds down and hight adjustabiulity - I`m trying to work out if its practical to use in tactical type comps.

Thanks,

David.

Hi Ronin , You can always tell when someone or something has gone down the Haslem route and been ' Haslemised '

ds1 , The bipod is as you said , I know FTR guy's are looking to use it this year but the 3.5lb weight is the problem . The bipod is one of the best things i've bought in recent times as its so solid , the gun doesn't want to move even though the balance point seems to be further back than ideal due to the AI's rail system . I use the bipod for for field shooting as i can be in one location for long period's in a given arc of fire .

The bipod moves up and down by means of a ship's style wheel underneath and is then locked by two three point screws . The tilt works on a similar way as the pod lock does on a Harris .

This bipod does not fold down or under like a Harris but it is quicker to attach to the rifle than a Harris !

I had the bipod with a rail attachment and two further attachments for swivel studs and by the time i got it over here is was about £300 .

I don't know of any F class guy's who intend to use them but it would work well but i wouldn't swap it for my Farley .

Regards

OSOK

Thanks OSOK,

One more question, do you notice more bipod hop / jump with it than using an AI bipod. I`m thinking to try one on a AI 338 Lapua. If it is like a Harris - whats gained in rigidity over the AI is lost with more jump. I`m guessing the weight of the thing negates any hop issues though.

David.

Hi ds1 , I don't with the AI as the underside of the stock is parallel to to ground so the ski bottoms track well . I have seen this bipod on a Blazer with a sloped forend and that does then jump as opposed to track back .

Regards

OSOK

Archived