Archer NV

Grouse

Need some information please for a very good friend who has bought an Arvher NV unit from Starlight (ex demo unit), I have only had experience of their Longbow set up in the past.

He has it mounted on a swarovski 8x56 scope, but says its a bit blurry? No more info at moment - so sorry its a bit vague!

Do the Archers only work with a parallax adjustable scope or can it work on this set up?

Any comments?

Regards Grouse

Need some information please for a very good friend who has bought an Arvher NV unit from Starlight (ex demo unit), I have only had experience of their Longbow set up in the past.

He has it mounted on a swarovski 8x56 scope, but says its a bit blurry? No more info at moment - so sorry its a bit vague!

Do the Archers only work with a parallax adjustable scope or can it work on this set up?

Any comments?

Regards Grouse

abolter on here is somewhat of an expert in this 'field'. From my limited experience with mine and using another, i doubt very much if you could get it to work withouth adjustable parralax. abolter told me that the scope needed to have parralax. It took me a while to get the archer set up on my rifle, playing with the eye relief, the focus on the archer and also the parralax. As i was told, once you know where all of these variable knobs need to be then its a fairly swift set up.

There are 2 basic issues with the Archer set up. The first is the cross hairs. I needed to make 3.5 full turns on the focus ring to get the cross hairs in focus through the Archer. The second issue is that the parallax is part of the procedure of focusing an Archer so I would suspect that he will nebver get a clear set up with the set up he has.

As an aside if he decides to get a new scope try to avoid parallax adjustment on the end of the scope (a turret being better) and also dont get one with an illuminated reticle as the knob may prevent you from fitting the Archer.

I appreciate this all sounds a bit negative but they really are a pretty good bit of kit on the right scope and set up right. (the leupold scopes work well with em)

Matching the Archer unit to the right scope is critical, as abolter said Leupold scopes work well, do not get the varmit reticle as its to fine a duplex or mil dot works well, for a cheaper option the Bushnells work well also, the lower the powered scopes are better. They are a top bit of kit,like and expensive camera once you know how to use it then you can realy get the best from it.

I use a swaro pvi2 6-24x50 with mine, front px. Play with all settings including scope zoom to get best results, dont just set px on min as instructions, that may not be best setting. Also check illuminator lens is clean, very important for crisp image.

Would the hawke varmint sf range of scopes be any good to use with the archer? They come in 2.5-10x44

3-12x44

4-16x44

6-24x44

Thanks for any help,

Cheers, Simon

I reckon they would be fine, I think they are similar spec to the MTC Mamba lite which is supposedly very good with archers.

Andy

Would the hawke varmint sf range of scopes be any good to use with the archer? They come in 2.5-10x44

3-12x44

4-16x44

6-24x44

Thanks for any help,

Cheers, Simon

I was running a Hawke 6x24x56 worked fine, could of been a tad less mag for shorter work tho.That was with a 14 also

Cheers lads, any of you archer users got any handy tips for getting them up and running at their best? Thanks again, Simon

Simon 1st dry night pop over & I will show you both my Archers using Leapers & Hawke scopes, you can

also compare against the Gen 3 dedicated.

Cheers lads, any of you archer users got any handy tips for getting them up and running at their best? Thanks again, Simon

Best advice I could give once you have chosen your scope just spend a couple of nights getting used to it without actually shooting, focusing, taking it off and putting it back on if you are spotting with it, judging range etc.

Andy

• 1 month later...

After loads of advice from 223 magic (cheers mike).

Got an Archer last month,Fitted to leupold 4.14 x 50 long range.

Shot 4 fox out to 170y, well impressed with this set up.

Match your Archer to the most suitable scope, like the Leupold or Bushnell as mentioned in this post and others, use all the adjustments front / back papralax, have a clean IR. Remove the rubber ring on the metal collar, do not over tighten the metal collar on to the scope better to tape your scope then push the metal collar on then you should need to just tighten slightly. Get used to using it in the dark. Remember its a £1600 bit of kit and does the job well. If you want better then a PVS or a dedicated scope like the Longbow or Rapptor etc will serve you better but natrually cost more.

Archived