Forster bushing bump die

rutland12

They work great for the first few firings on a case,but once the brass gets work hardened and starts to loose its spring back you will start to experience a tight bolt, much the same as you would feel with excessive head space.

In fact its the unsized point just in front of the web area of the brass that is binding and its at that stage you will have to full length size your brass..

Hope this helps

Adrian.

The whole point of this die is that it should enable you to neck size and when your brass starts to get work hardened, you then alter it to allow you to bump the shoulder a little.

Read the information leaflet in the die-set....

The whole point of this die is that it should enable you to neck size and when your brass starts to get work hardened, you then alter it to allow you to bump the shoulder a little.

Read the information leaflet in the die-set....

Yes you are correct, but when you need to bump the shoulder's of the brass back to fit the chamber correctly and by repeatedly doing so with a forster bushing bump die on its own, you will reach a point after x amount of firings that, the case will not chamber properly.

This is due to the unsized/unsupported ares of the case just in front of the web swelling and binding in your chamber.

You will at this point need to full length size your brass.

Well at least that's my experience with this die..

Adrian.

Hi

Just trying to see if anyone is using this die. I am thinking about using it with 6.5 x 47L. Any opnions will be usefull

Tony

Tony I have looked at the following approach a couple of times and might try it for the next calibre I try to reload.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/11/bushing-dies-and-honed-full-length-sizing-dies/

Regards JCS

I'm very fond of these dies and use them in my F/TR 308 and 223 rifles. I'm just about to buy another for .284 Win (6.5-284 bushing-bump die using appropriate bushings for the 7mm neck). In 'tight', minimum SAAMI chambers, I expect to wear the brass out before I body-size (ie full-length size), but that depends on the combination of pressures and chamber dimensions. Hot loads in loose factory rifle chambers will produce a more frequent need for full-length sizing.

By keeping the shoulder position constant and with a consistent minimal clearance in the chamber, you get a good combination of consistent performance and easy chambering. Whenever I revert to using a Lee collet sizer, I nolrmally see hardish chambering after a couple of loadings - not lower case body fit, but the shoulder moving forward making the case a longitudinal crush fit in the chamber. Many US competition shooters like the Lee collet die, but use one in conjunction with a body die - the Forster bushing-bump can be superior in some circumstances.

I'm talking here about gunsmith-built rifles or chambered barrels that have very concentric chambers. There's a lot of evidence that many factory rifles perform better with full-length sized brass as long as the die is correctly set-up in the press to give just enough shoulder clearance - and that may not apply to the 'default setting' of die base in hard contact wsith the shellholder that can set the shoulder back far too much. Anybody who uses any type of neck-sizer needs to have a full-length or body die available too and try out a sample of newly sized neck sized cases in the rifle before use to check there are no hard chambering problems.

The Forster B-B has the usual bushing die benefits too of course of graduated degrees of sizing and as a quality product does produce very concentric results with brass previously fired in a really good chamber. Anybody considering one though should note that it is supplied with a decapper stem with no expander ball fitted and is therefore geared to either neck-turned or at the least factory finished cases with low variations in neck thickness.

I agree Laurie.

I use a Forster bump die to de-cap and bump the shoulder for my 223, built by Neil McKillop. It has a long throat and tight neck. The shoulder moving forward with a stout load and 70gn bullet is the problem, not the case body expanding in web area.

ATB

Archived