new rifle has arrived!

Well,

i had a hankering for a new calibre earlier this year. After exploring the far end of many farts, i came to the conclusion i wanted to try 6.5x284. Close runners up were 7WSM, .284 and 7SAUM. For those of you who dont know me, my go to rifle is a predator 7-08 which shoots everything from rabbits to red deer.

Anyways, i didnt want to jump in and buy a full custom setup to try a calibre out so went down the semi custom route. I managed to pick up an ex FC sako 75 at reasonable money and have replaced the .270 barrel and the stock. Steve Kershaw completed the work for me in his normal speedy time. The major delay was getting the barrel from Lothar. Once the barrel arrived, Steve had it together and proofed in 4 days. Brilliant! The barrel is a 1:8 twist 26'' Lothar match grade barrel.

When i got the rifle, it was in a well used condition so i took the action to a bloke near Sherburn in Elmet who vapour blasted the action for a song which brought it up like new.

After lots of faffing, i have gone for optilock rings and bases. Its got a PM2 5-25x56 on top of it now and a JetZ on the end.

I intend to try 140gn Amax and H4831sc for starters. Other bullets i wish to try are the 140gn VLDs and 139gn Scenars.

Ive not even had a shot with the rifle yet, but will start to run it in tomorrow. Im hoping to have a load developed and verified for my next week in scotland..

7-08 140gn NBT next to 6.5x284 140gn Amax

416268B6-9F36-42E8-B0E6-51D7B8FC229B-5882-000006209A52B95E.jpg

The rifle, with my 7-08 thread protector on.. Steve didnt quite have time to do my invisible thread cap, so will have to wait til he next has the rifle

FC0B226C-4B96-4A0C-988C-FB5D46E32C9E-5882-00000620A41A7998.jpg

Thanks to Steve Kershaw for his services. Yet again turning out a quality product in good time.

I shall keep you posted with load development.. if anyone has any load data for 140gn amax and H4831sc that would be brill!!

FF.im picking my 6.5x284 on sunday this is a f class rifle built by P.R.S.the rifle is used so reflected in the price i paid for it.the guy that had the rifle shot the 139scenars in it.

here is some load data he sent me to try-as always start low and work up.

139 scenars-n165-49.5 to 51.5,with this data he won a fair few comps in europe.

139 scenars-h4831sc-47.5 to 50.5.

the above loads can be replicated foe the 140 amax.primers were cci br2 or use federal match.

yours should be a shooter if steve k had his hands on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

An update, not much really exciting to tell, but due to lack of daylight, other commitments and the weather, ive really struggled to get out with the rifle. I managed to get it run in but no load developing took place, just whacked in 49gn of H4831sc and had some nice 0.3 MOA groups. Which are good, but not fast enough.. when i say not fast enough, the reason i went for this calibre is to beat the performance of my 7-08 with 140gn bullets. In order to do this, the 6.5x284 needs to be giving me 2850+ with the 140gn class bullets. Some say i will struggle with a 26'' tube, but going to persevere.

Anyways, i finally got out this avo to test some different amounts of powder. Im running with 3 thou of neck tension, F210s, new batched lapua brass, neck turned, trimmed and reamed. H4831sc of varying weights and 140gn Amax. Ive set them 10 thou off the lands as a starting point.

Today i shot 3x 5 shot groups with 50gn, 50.5gn and 51gn.

I wasnt overly happy with the setup, ie muddy sh*tty field, rushing as daylight was going, generally uncomfortable and a non swivel bipod. Anyways, with that in mind, i stuck up a target at 170yds and all charges put sub MOA groups in with the best being a shade over 0.5, the worst being just over 0.7. So not too bad for an initial look at load development. I feel that with more time and a better 'environment' it will easily shoot sub 0.5

I can see its going to be frustrating trying to get the time, weather, light and venue all lined up and getting a serious long range load worked up. I was hoping to have a load done and verified by the end of the month but am not sure if its realistic or not. Pics to follow as and when i do something worthy of pics!

Anyways, can someone give me some 'realistic' MIN and MAX loads for 140gn and H4831sc...? The book has a maximum of 51gn or something very low..

55.5 grain is the max that is put out by QuickLoad but that only reckons on 2980fps so you aint gained much!!

will be happy with anything 2900+ really. My 7-08 at best accuracy is only doing 2770..

Your back then?!

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the new bangstick...

Been testing different powder weights and got up to 53.5gn of H4831sc. As most im sure would expect, no pressure signs at all and accuracy at best a shade over 0.5MOA and worst 0.9MOA. Ive not put any over the chronograph yet and want to find what MAX charge is before i settle on a load. Ive not started fiddling with the seating depth yet either. Anyways, brought it stalking with a handful of rounds and had 2x roe off that bat, nothing to write home about really and look forward to getting a load worked up for some long ranging..

pics to follow..

FF.im picking my 6.5x284 on sunday this is a f class rifle built by P.R.S.the rifle is used so reflected in the price i paid for it.the guy that had the rifle shot the 139scenars in it.

here is some load data he sent me to try-as always start low and work up.

139 scenars-n165-49.5 to 51.5,with this data he won a fair few comps in europe.

139 scenars-h4831sc-47.5 to 50.5.

the above loads can be replicated foe the 140 amax.primers were cci br2 or use federal match.

yours should be a shooter if steve k had his hands on it.

Hi Gary: What oal - and how measured?.

Archived