Savage V's CZ .17HMR

andybrock

Just after a few opinions really, I'm buying a .17hmr in the next couple of weeks and as I'm a lefty I've narrowed it down to a couple of models Savages 93R17 BTVLSS and CZ's 452 American classic. I'm leaning towards the Savage purely as it's a thumb-hole stock. Those of you that have the Savage or the CZ in 17hmr whats you opinion of them?

For the moderator I was thinking of a DM80 - anyone used these and who sells them.

Cheers

Andy

Go for the CZ every time. The trigger on the savage is a pos and the built quality of any I've seen has left a lot to be desired. I have the CZ varmint, even though I'm left handed too. Wisest decision I've made in many years.

Best wishes

Finman

Well thats pretty unanimous, CZ it is then!

What about the mod any of you used a DM80?

Thanks Chaps

Glad you 'saw the light' :)

I use the ACE Ultra and it is fantastic, Jet-Z's little brother and that says a lot :)

best wishes,

Finman

Well that's a goodun. I was expecting to hear everyone say "Go with the Savage". I assumed they all had that accutrigger.

I've a cz455. The thumbhole stock is very nice. I'm not sure if they do it in cack handed though :P

As for mod, cheapo Sak does just fine, or the SFS one off my air rifle is just as good also.

Another vote for the CZ I have 452 with a DM80 mod . On a previous HMR I tried a SAK,and a ASE ultra TBH the Dm 80 is the better mod .I would like to try a onelesscharlie mod at some point .The one Baldie had on his AR 15 was stunning.

mick

Your right Foxyloxy CZ don't make a lefty thumhole in .17hmr but they do in .22 :angry: however spoke with a chap at CZ rifles UK (not sure if he comes on here or not) today and he asked me to send him my spec and he would see if one could be put together! so fingers crossed, I'll let you know what he comes up with.

Cheers for all the replies.

Cz ( no brainier ) as for mod I've got a sak which is ok but I think there are better out there

I agree there are better mods than the sak, but at three times the price. And if you are shooting out to what the hmr is capable of, 180+yds on a fair day, a few dB at the muzzle won't make a knats willy of a difference over the sonic crack from the bullet, so save the cash, buy a sak, and a few extra boxes of ammo :) I've not yet had a rabbit, fox, magpie or crow say 'ooh that rifle that just shot my mate had a loud muzzle report' but you can see them think ' bugger me that was a fast fly!' Lol

well i have the stainless thumbhole savage with the accu trigger , and a sak mod :rolleyes: the trigger is great imho opinion it's predictable and consistant it's more accurate than i am, clover leaf groups at 100yrds with vmax hornady stuff slightly larger groups with the 20grn stuff

i have shot stuff out to approx 300yrds on still days , a friend has or had the cz he lost several mags, they seem prone to that :blink: it wasn't as accurate as my savage in the end he traded it and bought a savage with an accutrigger , the only fault i have found with mine is unless you keep the bolt scrupulously clean i get the odd misfire

Archived