new toy

Guest steyrman2

Guest steyrman2

hi new toy arrived sako trg 42 in 338 cal have some factory ammo lapua 250 grain but at five euros a pop well i think the reloading will do i have nosler 200 grain btips powder i will use is reloader 19 and n160 any info welcome

Guest steyrman2

i tryed to post this last night did not work ,so itry again started out firing it a t 40 yards get it on paper sorted it got it to 100 yards cleaned it it was 2 inchs high went to 200 yards and it was 5 inchs high cleaned it again went to 300 yards and it was still 5 inchs high so dropped it down toshoot 2 inchs high at 300 going to try 500 yards tomorrow weather permiting i have 700 yards to work with group size at 300 was 1" a half not to bad i think im firing 3 shot groups letting it cool down between have a t8 magum on it tames it down but i do like the bang with out it will keep you posted :D:)

Pics no workie for me.

Loads with a 250 grain Scenar.....AA XMR 4350, 80 grains. Feels very mild, 830 m/s from a 27" barrel and AA3100 84 grains....mild 860 m/s.

These are actual velocities, a little different than what Quickload predicts. With both loads no cratered primers or ejector marks.

As aways, whats safe in my rifle may not be in yours.

One thought on reloading.....dont know what dies you are using but I`m using Redding Comp dies. The seater die is a pain in the ass in a Rockchucker press .....not enough height in the press to seat the bullet on top of the case before it enters the die. I`ve ended up buying a Hornady 50bmg press with a die and shell holder adapter.

David.

Guest steyrman2

hi dave i have the same problem with 250grain heads but with the 200 grain heads its a lot easyer im using the same dies as u not sure why the pics dont work any help lads

Put them on either photobucket or hunt101 sites and paste the bottom link of the three offered on here. The file is on your computer and so cannot display here if you just put the jpg link in.

You only need to left click on the bottom url with your mouse pointer and it will say copied then right click it into your posting on here it will work then. ;)

Like this SV600001-2.jpg

Jack ( best dog in the World, he thinks)

1 inch at 300 with factory ammo is pretty good.

Sounds like its a keeper ;)

Ive also had problems posting photographs directly on to the site pages.

I find that a third party host (photobucket, image shack, hunt101 etc etc) are easy to use, require no subscription etc.

You can load direct from a mem stick, but its a whole lot quicker and faster with broadband connection.

Be very interested to see how the 338 progresses, i'm still in the negotiation stages with my own ;)

Nice looking rifle Steyerman, do you find the rings are a teeny bit high?

Hows the recoil unbraked?

Guest steyrman2

well i dont mind it being that high the adj cheek peice sorts it out i will be puting a different scope on shortly i have the t8 magum for it and tames her down big time :)

Guest steyrman2

hi dave yea had it out big time i tryed to post a bit about it but it did not work out so i will try again the deal for the accuracy international did not work out but happy so far with it :)

Guest steyrman2

well had it out on saturday morning back at 300 yards still shooting 1"1/2 groups so brought it to 400 yards groups went to 3" and high so cleaned barrel fired 5 shot again and same sort of results so re ajusted scope went to 450 yards groups were still 3" happy out in the mean time reloaded some 200 grain nosler b tips tryed 86 grns of r 19 at 200 yards ended up with 4" group cleaned barrel fired 88 grains of r 19 groups went to 2"1/2 inchs last load was 90 grains well this group was better tight 1" 5 shot group at 200 yards so it started to cloud over so left it for another day changing scope this week will keep u posted

a mate of mine gunsmith/shooter/teacher in shooting and all that that which promotes growth and vigour shoots 338lm

If I remember i will plug him for info

hes been shooting one for many years now

if I forget give me a pm end of week to remind me

got a pic of me holding his gun after I put the barrel back on it and it stands a couple inches past my shoulder but i am a midget at 5'6" :)

i will post it

the stock is macined from solid alu not cast and is large ice cream awsum

will post pic morrow eve

Archived