steyr mannlicher tactical ??

6.5Grendel

Hi

I have a slot for 6.5 x 47 which I am going to use for a tactical type rifle

Looking around I see a few .260 rem steyrs which are reasonable money but they have the plastic rotary mags . I was wondering if anyone does conversion kits to take larger capacity mags which might make it an option for rebarreling.

I know someone with a 7mm rem mag steyr and the action is very slick and it shoots well (for 3 shots then the thin barrel gets so hot it has to be cooled for 1/2 hr :rolleyes: )

Andy

Hi

Looking around I see a few .260 rem steyrs which are reasonable money but they have the plastic rotary mags . I was wondering if anyone does conversion kits to take larger capacity mags which might make it an option for rebarreling.

I know someone with a 7mm rem mag steyr and the action is very slick and it shoots well (for 3 shots then the thin barrel gets so hot it has to be cooled for 1/2 hr :rolleyes: )

Andy

I believe it is a difficult job to re-barrel these rifles ,which reflects in the price......about £750. Mags I am not sure about but I can't think of anything the 6.5 x 47 can do that the 260 doesn't at least match except the price of brass.

I believe it is a difficult job to re-barrel these rifles ,which reflects in the price......about £750. Mags I am not sure about but I can't think of anything the 6.5 x 47 can do that the 260 doesn't at least match except the price of brass.

There were some 10 round mags made for the SSG but I suspect finding some may be difficult.

Cheers for replies

Gaz I would happily have a .260 instead of the 6.5x47 , you are right about there being very little difference. The steyr I looked at only had a 23" lightweight barrel which I would want to change for a longer one with a heavier profile. It would a cheaper way of doing it as I would have a rifle i could use while saving for the barrel change , it all boils down to the mags.

I'll check out the ssg and see what calibres it was produced in

Andy

Cheers for replies

Gaz I would happily have a .260 instead of the 6.5x47 , you are right about there being very little difference. The steyr I looked at only had a 23" lightweight barrel which I would want to change for a longer one with a heavier profile. It would a cheaper way of doing it as I would have a rifle i could use while saving for the barrel change , it all boils down to the mags.

I'll check out the ssg and see what calibres it was produced in

Andy

i think i'm right in saying the ssg was produced in .243 and .308 with a few in 22-250 ?

The above rifles and factory barrels are sweated on not threaded , or at least used to be. so a rebarrel job means quite a bit of work , ie you would have to thread the action before you could rebarrel it .

This may of changed ,I would have a good look at this point before you buy .

The above rifles and factory barrels are sweated on not threaded , or at least used to be. so a rebarrel job means quite a bit of work , ie you would have to thread the action before you could rebarrel it .

Thanks , looking like its more hassle than its worth

Andy

I remember talking to one of the staff at the sportsman in Dorset (Rob I Think ??? not sure about this name) who seemed to know his stuff about these rifles, he said they use either border barrels or some gun smith around bisley who he didnt name to do the barrel swaps - he told me that they undo the heat/sweat fitted barrel and then thread the action to accept a normal threaded barrel in whatever calibre you want in that size bolt face and action length ie a 7mm08 wouldnt be a problem.

He gave me a guide price of around £650 depending on barrel profile etc, from memory normal flush fitting mags were readily available I dont think he mentioned anything about larger capacity mags - well worth giving him a call if you want to find out anymore about these rifles, he uses one himself and seemed to be a fan of them

You need to check which rifle you are looking at the SSG P2 is sweated on but from memory the tactical elites are threaded not sure about the prohunters ring sportsman they will confirm.

You need to check which rifle you are looking at the SSG P2 is sweated on but from memory the tactical elites are threaded not sure about the prohunters ring sportsman they will confirm.

Also believe the barrel on the 16" barreled SSG police is, unlike all the rest of the SSG line-up, screwed on.

Hi

Looking around I see a few .260 rem steyrs which are reasonable money but they have the plastic rotary mags . ..

Andy. My Mannlicher Pro-Hunter in 260 Rem had a sweated on barrel and a traditional double stack magazine. The magazine was longer than a std short action magazine. When I moved to a Remington 260 Rem, I found I was tight for mag length and got a Wyatt's Box fitted which will accommodate rounds up to 3.1 inches in length. My loaded rounds can measure up to 2.9 inches long. Good luck. JCS

I believe Dasherman (Neil McKillop) has the gear to thread Steyr actions. Give the man a call.

I believe Dasherman (Neil McKillop) has the gear to thread Steyr actions. Give the man a call.

Cheers Rup , its the mag system i really need to know about , the more I think about it the more hassle I think its going to be.

Looked like a good day was had by all at the quarry , I now have my hmr 'open ticket' so we need to try and get some bunny bashing booked , I have also treated my self to a nite site which works very well

Andy

Yup, sorry, it was just a blatant plug for Neil.

Save your pennies and get an Aw or TRG. Really made to save all the hassle. I scratched my head over a project for years but the TRG is just all there :-P

Yes Quarry was very good.

Yes must get bunnies.

Yeap , you are right as far as I know BD , the short 16 inche subsonic SSG PIV ( P4 ) is the only SSG version to have a normal screwed in barrel , all other SSGs , PI , PII , PIIk & PIII have a pressed in fitted barrel .

Mags & trigger guards are the real weak point in these rifles , its a shame some one does not make a well made copy of the original magazine , like out of say SS & aluminum , use steel or SS for the feed lips , the rest machined out of Aluminium , and a steel trigger guard etc to fit original stocks etc , I think it would sell rather good .

I know I would buy 3-5 units and a ton of mags , ONLY if it was well made & fitted , I would also change the magazine release catch to something different than the original 2x clips etc at the same time .

RE : The calibres that Steyr made the SSG in , every one knows the normal , 22-250 , 243 & 308 , BUT most are not aware that they made them in 7mm08 for the French market as well , WHY maybe because they consider 308 a Military/restricted calibre for civies to own .

Later Chris

Archived