Joe West Rifle Stocks

brown dog

I first chatted with Simon of Joe West Rifle Stocks back at the Newark show; chats rolled on and a short while ago I asked Simon if he thought he could put an A-5 onto a Ruger 10-22 (I wanted to create a garden practice rifle).

Well – on Friday my package arrived. A gorgeously coloured and perfectly shaped stock with all the kit required to finish it.

IMG-20120831-00116750x484.jpg

The enclosed instructions described a requirement for some sanding before starting to use the provided tru-oil; but the wood was so smoothly finished that I leapt past that and straight to the oiling!

The stock is a lovely A5 shape and the inlet for the 1022 was literally perfect:

IMG-20120831-00115750x265.jpg

Time had also been taken to match the stock profile to the rear of the 1022 action – impressive attention to detail when you consider this was a nutty request for a fullbore stock!

With the oil coats applied, I shot it today for the first time; a bit of “25yd benchrest”:

IMG-20120902-00130750x563.jpg

IMG-20120902-00123750x563.jpg

IMG-20120902-00120525x750.jpg

Pretty pleased with the result too from a bog standard 1022 that's gathered dust for a bunch of years; these are my first 2 five round groups - the stock held it like a tuning fork:

IMG-20120902-00131500x375.jpg

It’s a bloomin lovely package – only shot it for an hour this afternoon and I had high ‘grin factor’ it’s turned my 1022 into a solid ‘real rifle’.

Really, really impressed with the quality and ease of preparation ...........and very very pleased :)

Ive had one of Simons stocks provided for a build a little while ago, the finish was very very good for the Tikka Inlet, only minor work required.

id certainly recommend anyone consider one of these stocks if looking for a laminate stock of quality.

Many thanks for the nice comments chaps. Sorry Elwood, I might beat you to it abit, as I just could not help myself and have put the same shape stock on my Bat. Just need to work out how to upload photos.

Many thanks for the nice comments chaps. Sorry Elwood, I might beat you to it abit, as I just could not help myself and have put the same shape stock on my Bat. Just need to work out how to upload photos.

Excellent Simon, I look forward to seeing the photo's. I'm off to Neil's tomorrow (hopefully) to see the finished in the flesh stock.

Archived