Leupold Spotting Scope

If you just want to see the target then no you don't need a reticule BUT if you want to correct your fall of shot quickly and accurately then a reticule is defo the way forward ?

Possibly, but I was told by someone at Leupold that the HD coating wasn't Mil-Spec so wasn't used on the Mk4. Not to say that there isn't a similar coating on the Mk4 though?

Don't know; I'm aware of Leupold also explicitly saying the Mk4s are HD. Guess it depends on what the sales person is trying to talk you into buying :rolleyes::)

Good question to ask would be what's the mil-spec they're referring to? A specific mil-spec for a spotting scope lens coating?! seems unlikely.

Don't know; I'm aware of Leupold also explicitly saying the Mk4s are HD. Guess it depends on what the sales person is trying to talk you into buying :rolleyes::)

Good question to ask would be what's the mil-spec they're referring to? A specific mil-spec for a spotting scope lens coating?! seems unlikely.

Could it refer to some form of laser safety absorbtion filtration?

If it does it shouldn't be a problem at Bisley! :)

Could it refer to some form of laser safety absorbtion filtration?

If it does it shouldn't be a problem at Bisley! :)

There will be a spec for that, but in the sort of optics we're talking about I can only think of S&B and Hensoldt having military products like that (1064nm filters from memory). But even then, the customer (eg an Army) would have to specify the coating as a requirement for their particular contract.

Comparing a Brit mil Mk4 and a 'normal' Mk4; the only difference I can discern to the viewing experience is the ret.

I'm 99.9999% Mk4s don't have laser coatings.

• 2 weeks later...

I would get it with a reticle , either the mildot or the TMR , both will work , I prefer the TMR , but if you find the std mildot version is easier or cheaper , get that one .

As far as HD , not as far as I am aware , the reticle MK4 is the std version w/reticle ( not HD glass model ) .

Your only chance unless they start making it with HD glass , would be getting a HD model that Premier had put a reticle into it ? , I almost ordered one from Premier when they where still doing the upgrade to Leupold gear .

As far as Laser filters , I prefer that they are NOT built IN , and that they are external jobies , why , Laser filters usually , cut down the light transmission by 8-10% approx , and as such , I would rather be in control of that , if its built IN , you are stuck with a scope thats not as good opitically as one with out .

The laser filter for the Zeiss Spotter 60 is an extra , and screws onto the front .

So in short , I like to have control of wether I want/need to degrade my glass , depending on the situation .

Later Chris

Ended up getting the Mk4 with TMR. Very pleased with it.

Also purchased a Slik Sprint Mini II tripod (based on an earlier post/recomendation from Brown Dog); compact and good value.

Thanks all for the advice/info.

Rgds

• 2 months later...

if you have this optic like me, have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_3bIqVX4VU :))))

you can watch all your shooting, load testing and hunts at home

Ended up getting the Mk4 with TMR. Very pleased with it.

Also purchased a Slik Sprint Mini II tripod (based on an earlier post/recomendation from Brown Dog); compact and good value.

Thanks all for the advice/info.

Rgds

Archived