Accuracy International, left handed AW in 6.5x47

LONG RANGE CAPT

The new rifle arrived the other week and after getting it set up it was ready to be zeroed - however with a busy work schedule there was no opportunity to get it zeroed. :wacko: :wacko:

So on friday night it was off down to Bisley, for the "Precision Sharp and Snap Shooting Match" on 4 Aug 2012 In aid of the Royal British Legion.

With little time available for the niceties of a formal zeroing session, load development or a barrel break in the gun had a quick bore sighting session then it was into the comp.

Turned out with a 6 out of 46 final result, so not to bad - with a few shots dropped due to me getting the timings wrong (lesson for me next time)

photo-8.jpg?t=1344551538

photo-6-1.jpg?t=1344551178

As it turned out the barrel break in process was 120 rounds fired over the course of the day (much like the German Salazar's famous technique) with the only clean coming at the end of the day.

I'd also been keen to see the difference in alleged quality between the 3 previous AE's (MK I, II & III) I've owned, versus the AW, as there is a lot of poo pooing of AEs and AW snobbery buy some shooters.

Well I can safely say for certain the AE's are built to the same build quality as the AWs, the bolts and barrels are the same, plus the AEs represent brilliant value for money.

So if your are considering an AE don't let the armchair commentators put you off.

Kind Regards

Rob

Nice one Rob, whats the consensus on the pressure washer version that AI manufacture ?

Rob,

Not another LH'er :lol: Nice result all factors considering!

What did you use as the 'that'll have to do' load if you don't mind me asking?

Terry

Rob,

That's a bloomin impressive result from a boresight! (Jealous that I didn't manage similar with the 308!)

Your dit ramping up AEs reads to me as though you don't like the AW?!

Also keen to hear what your thrown together 6.5 load was..

Rob

Good result, hope you enjoyed it and will be back next year with a fully worked up load and zero.

I'll share my .260 load: Bare 139 grn Scenar's, CCI BR-2 Primers, Lapua Cases several times fired but with annealed necks, 42.5 grains of N160 all individually trickled and weighed with a Targetmaster and tuned RCBS 10-10 Scale.

I think matt what rob was saying was for the price of the mk111 ae there is not a lot of difference between them and they will shoot just as good the one I bought of rob 308 is that accurate apart from recoil difference I could be tempted to leave 308 barrel on it in stead of changing to 260

Rob,

That's a bloomin impressive result from a boresight! (Jealous that I didn't manage similar with the 308!)

Your dit ramping up AEs reads to me as though you don't like the AW?!

Also keen to hear what your thrown together 6.5 load was..

I do like the left handed action on the AW - very happy with that.

I have found however the AW magazines are less reliable than the ACIS mag, having repeatedly tested them in a range of calibers.

Primarily all the snobbery of a AW being better than AE's is ultimately nothing but snobbery as the AE are just as good as the AW's and also far better value for money.

Kind Regards

Rob

I do like the left handed action on the AW - very happy with that.

I have found however the AW magazines are less reliable than the ACIS mag, having repeatedly tested them in a range of calibers.

Primarily all the snobbery of a AW being better than AE's is ultimately nothing but snobbery as the AE are just as good as the AW's and also far better value for money.

Kind Regards

Rob

:lol: You having a class-war knicker twist?! :lol:

It's not 'snobbery', it's a brand's premier marque versus their 'not premier' marque.

I'm sure there a lot of analogies - right back to when as a boy I bought a Canon A-1 rather than their cheaper AE-1 that would also have done far more than I needed.

If you were expecting in normal range use to have seen a step change in performance between the 2 rifles , shooting on something that looks like a putting green, it's hardly surprising you're disappointed. :unsure::wacko: Sounds like an expectation management issue.

AW mags not reliable? That's new data :blink:

yeap thats a funny one , lets see , I know I will grab a Sten gun instead of a Sterling L2A3 , as based on your experience , the Sten with its single feed/double stack mag thas the better more reliable magazine ,

YEAP , Not in my world , or most others .

Given a choice between , double feed / double stack & a single feed / double stack , I will take the double feed mag , EVERY time , as its not 1916 any more , the world has turned for the better in this reguard .

MY experience with bolt actions running a M14 or AW mag has been they are much more reliable in operation as opposed to the single feed / double stack mags of the AICS & Sako TRG series when loaded to capaicty , ie 10rds / full .

I also realise that the AICS mag was made solely to use in Rem700 action , it was not designed to use in the AE or AW ,

Later Chris

Archived