New Rifle

Finally got the chance to begin the barrel break in on my rebarrelled Sako 75.

I got it rebarrelled in 17 Rem with a LW stainless(1-9") Sako varmint profile 24" barrel. I have had a fascination with this round for quite a few years but finally took my first steps into the semi custom route this year. Here are some pics from the weekend, I didn't bother fitting the moderator as I would be cleaning every shot for the first 10 shots before going down the 3 and 5 shot groups before cleaning. I was surprised how barky the little round is. My average vel. over 10 shots with Remington factory 25 grs HP was 3965 fps and accuracy fine for the barrel break in. Looking forward to getting it shot in and in use on the winter foxes.

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01450.jpg

DSC01447.jpg

DSC01453.jpg

Niceone toby Was looking forward to seeing it. Looks very nice indeed. And with 24 inch barrel should give you great fps when you sort out some reloads. You going with the 25 vmax? And what powder.

Countryside there looks superb by the way. Love to take my dad cod fishing out on a boat in norway

Atb jamie

Looks very smart, nice rifle. Was it rebarrelled in Norway? I know there's lots of hunting there so presumably there are good 'smiths. Out of curiosity, why did you go for .17 Rem rather than, say 17 FB? The slightly greater velocity? Magazine feeding? Will you handload?

Lovely countryside, probably rather quiet and not as overcrowded as England...

Regards, Tony

Thanks for the comments. It was rebarreled by a riflesmith over here called Hansen (they also have their own Rem 700 style action in various guises). I am planning on using the 25 grs V-Max, but will also give the Hornady and Berger HP's a go as well. I went with the 17 Rem over the 17 Fireball/Mach IV for the issues Tony H mentioned plus I can use the Berger 30 grainers if I feel the urge. The round was also introduced the year I was born :).

Archived