Which leupold ?

ultra12

I am a big leupold fan have few vx-3 scopes. I just bought a tikka 223 and making it a long range (300-500 and maybe even further distance) varmint / target rifle. I like the quality of leupold but the biggest magnification I have in my leupold scopes is 10x so I have no expeience with higher magnifications. I am looking at few scopes from leupold. There are 3 groups I am considering each group has few scopes with slight diff like max magnification (20 vs 25) and scope aperature (40 vs 50 vs 56). I just would like to know for my purposes which one would be better. Here are my choice

Vx-3L. 6.5-20x 56

Vs

Vx-3. 6.5-20x 50

Vx-3. 8.5-25x 50

Vx-3. 6.5-20x 40

Vs

Mark 4 LTR 6.5-20x 50

Mark 4 LTR. 8.5-25x 50

I understand that bigger bell = more light but since i will be shooting mostly during the day it will come down to a price (or should I say what I can get a better deal on). I would like to know of anyone had experience with some of the scopes mentioned above and how do they compare. I really like the look of vx-3L but I would like to know your experiences with that and other scopes mentioned above

I am a big leupold fan have few vx-3 scopes. I just bought a tikka 223 and making it a long range (300-500 and maybe even further distance) varmint / target rifle. I like the quality of leupold but the biggest magnification I have in my leupold scopes is 10x so I have no expeience with higher magnifications. I am looking at few scopes from leupold. There are 3 groups I am considering each group has few scopes with slight diff like max magnification (20 vs 25) and scope aperature (40 vs 50 vs 56). I just would like to know for my purposes which one would be better. Here are my choice

Vx-3L. 6.5-20x 56

Vs

Vx-3. 6.5-20x 50

Vx-3. 8.5-25x 50

Vx-3. 6.5-20x 40

Vs

Mark 4 LTR 6.5-20x 50

Mark 4 LTR. 8.5-25x 50

I understand that bigger bell = more light but since i will be shooting mostly during the day it will come down to a price (or should I say what I can get a better deal on). I would like to know of anyone had experience with some of the scopes mentioned above and how do they compare. I really like the look of vx-3L but I would like to know your experiences with that and other scopes mentioned above

Mk4s are their flagship. I'm afraid I know very little about Leupold other than owning a (non-Mk4) 8-25 for a short while; dialling it above about 18 power and it was like someone had turned the lights down on a dimmer switch. So, if I was determined to go Leupold, it'd be the Mk4 and cross my fingers that it didn't dim in the same way.

i have owned many leupolds and they have all been good.leupold customer service is second to none.in my opinion leupolds don't seem to be fetching the money they were last year so now would be a good time to buy.the mk4 scope target turrets are worth their weight in gold if your using a ballistic program.i have just sold a mk 4 for a nightforce and the optics on the leupold win,no competition.only negative i found is if you use them with a nightsite ns200 the lens coatings fog the picture compared to cheaper scopes.

in short mk4 every time if you can afford it.

I've had experience with the VX3 6.5-20x40LR with the varmint hunter reticle. One on my 6mmBR and one on my .204Ruger. Cannot fault them they tracked well, were easy to use in all conditions and managed long (well, for my standards at least) shots with regularity. 320yds.rat-sized bunnies with the .204, were good enough for me.

In short, nothing wrong with your choices. Don't fall for the 'large objective' trap. Your eye will not be able to see the difference between a 40 and a 50mm objective at x20 magnification....

Best wishes

Finman

I use a vx3 4.5x14x50 b&c ret out to 600 yards and i carnt fault it. ive used it in every light conditions you can think of while out deer stalking and every weather you can imagin. there built like tanks and they dial in everytime whithout any problems. just wish they did a cheaped version of the mk4 .

I use a vx3 4.5x14x50 b&c ret out to 600 yards and i carnt fault it. ive used it in every light conditions you can think of while out deer stalking and every weather you can imagin. there built like tanks and they dial in everytime whithout any problems. just wish they did a cheaped version of the mk4 .

Leupold Mk 4 8.5-25X50mm IL / I

Illuminated Mil Dot Reticule

As new condition, 2.5 years old from new purchased for£1276.99

+ includes Optilock Mounts & Butler Creek eyepiece &objective pop up lens covers & neoprene cover. Reason for sale have Z6inow.

Will take £725

My rifle are pretty much exclusively leupolds now.

Mark 4 LTR 6.5-20x 50

Vx-3. 6.5-20x 50

plus a couple of smaller ones which I can't remember what they are exactly, 4-18x40 VXII I think?

I think they are great. The glass is not a patch on a swaro or similar but the build quality is top notch and as already said their customer service is the best bar none providing you go direct and not through the UK importers. The Mk4 definately has the edge in every respect over the others I own, and that would be my choice.

That said, having looked through a sightron, my next scope will be a sightron. The build quality isn't as good as the Mk4, but lets face it, unless your jumping out of helicopters or crawling through swamps do you really need a truely tactical scope? For the money they are a lot of scope.

We compared a 42x night force, 50x S&B, 50x sightron and 25x Leupold side by side at bisley at 1000yds on a fairly dull overcast day a while back and in terms of glass quality all set at 42x (except the leupold obviously) the sightron was hands down the winner.

Archived