What chronograph you fellas using?

Hi folks, looking into buying my first chronograph to help me along with testing different hand loads for my own and friends rifles. Any advice much appreciated on what make etc, limit myself to £120-150. Been looking at the f1 chrony but read many mixed reviews. Or if anyone has a nice secondhand one for reasonable money they wish to sell on? Many thanks Simon

Hi folks, looking into buying my first chronograph to help me along with testing different hand loads for my own and friends rifles. Any advice much appreciated on what make etc, limit myself to £120-150. Been looking at the f1 chrony but read many mixed reviews. Or if anyone has a nice secondhand one for reasonable money they wish to sell on? Many thanks Simon

I use a Alpha Chrony and it does what i ask of it. i know a lot of people use CED make chrony's but for the price i find the alpha is accurate and fine for my needs , this is the standard model so no print out mode etc but how hard is it to use a pen to wright down your results easier if you get a friend to help.If you can try a few then you can make you own mind up which is best, just my opinion mate.

Jim

Hello mate,

Just brought the F1 last month as i'm moving from casual reloader to addicted reloader! They really are a must if you you want the entire picture about your loads.

Got mine from Sportsman around the corner (F1) £103. It's the basic model but it really gives me all the information I need.

Invest in a new one is my advice, it will last you forever.

Regards

Carl.

Use an f1 too. does all I need of it.

Invest in a new one is my advice, it will last you forever.

Regards

Carl.

Unless you shoot it. :blink:

Simon,

Have owned and used an Ohler 35P and a CED, both are good.

Will be investing in a MangnaSpeed (see here: http://www.magnetospeed.com/ ) when they reach our shores as it does away with all the tripod 'stuff' and, if you shoot anywhere like Bisley, you do not have to wait for others to set it up.

Brgds Terry

Simon,

Have owned and used an Ohler 35P and a CED, both are good.

Will be investing in a MangnaSpeed (see here: http://www.magnetospeed.com/ ) when they reach our shores as it does away with all the tripod 'stuff' and, if you shoot anywhere like Bisley, you do not have to wait for others to set it up.

Brgds Terry

How does this effect barrel harmonics Terry? Can't be any good hanging off the barrel like that ?

How does this effect barrel harmonics Terry? Can't be any good hanging off the barrel like that ?

Anything mounted on the end of the gun can affect the location of your groups because the added mass changes the characteristic vibrations of the barrel. The MagnetoSpeed is intended to be used for velocity measurements only; when shooting for high accuracy simply remove the MagnetoSpeed. Most shooters will use this device to characterize their loads on a short range, before trying any long range shot accuracy trials. Now if you are shooting a shotgun it's another story. Shotgun accuracy and pattern is virtually unaffected and for the first time ever one can chronograph loads WHILE hunting!

Cheers for the reply's lads, for my own rifles I work out the drop the old fashion way (every 10 yards from 200 out to 650)but when loading for others I just don't have the time so using a chronograph and a good ballistics program and the best handloads at 200yards I hope to give them the info they require and they can go test it for themselves. Will probably get the f1 as seem cheap enough new but will have a good look at the ones terry suggested before I spend my hard earned cash! Thanks again, Simon

Shooter 79,

Should only effect the location of the group, not the group size.

But will be doing a bit of personnal R&D once I have one in hand to confirm what others have found.

Terry

Shooter 79,

Should only effect the location of the group, not the group size.

But will be doing a bit of personnal R&D once I have one in hand to confirm what others have found.

Terry

hopefully as soon as itar is sorted ill have a bunchcoming in

I use a Chrono Gamma Master (mainly because I purchased it in the US when the dollar was weak and it was a right bargain)

I used to have a Mk1 CED but sold it as it was a PITA to set up and use and get readings from. The Chrony is a simple fold open and your ready to go setup that doesnt have to be fitted to a tripod to stand up. The handset on the CED was great and all the data was there at the touch of a button, all the calcs done.

Mark

Thanks all, just ordered the f1 for £95 inc p&p. Got hold of some 53grn v-max to test and work up a load in the .223 but struggling to get hold of some vit n133, so will make do with h4895 as I have a couple tubs to use up. If anyone has any loads they wish to share feel free, the rifle is a tikka t3 with the 1/12 twist. Will post up the results in due course aswell as the loads Iam currently using in my centre fires. Cheers Simon

Thanks all, just ordered the f1 for £95 inc p&p. Got hold of some 53grn v-max to test and work up a load in the .223 but struggling to get hold of some vit n133, so will make do with h4895 as I have a couple tubs to use up. If anyone has any loads they wish to share feel free, the rifle is a tikka t3 with the 1/12 twist. Will post up the results in due course aswell as the loads Iam currently using in my centre fires. Cheers Simon

Hi Simon

Sorry I've been a bit tardy in catching up with this thread. I have an F1 chrony and find it an excellent bit of kit. If you get a remote button you can access a fair bit more information, it's all there, you just can't retrieve it. Extra info available with a button Higest/Lowest shot. Average, ES and SD. also with the remote button you can stand the crony far enough away to not get blasted over and reset it without going forward of the firing line.

I always recommend getting the F1 through an archery shop - It's exactly the same item without the standard gunshop mark-up.

Here's one for £79.

http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/chrony-chronograph-f-1.html

PM me if you want more info about the button.

http://www.shootingchrony.com/manual_F1M1.htm

Have just done a search for a remote cable for my F1 and found a DIY version. Looks pretty strait forward to make using a 3.5 jack. 2core wire and a press switch.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13034&PN=2

Also note that if you leave a tripod QD bracket permanently fixed to the unit like I do, make sure it doesnt turn slightly and stop the unit opening against its own stops. This will make the unit read faster and inconsistently as the sensors will be ever so slightly closer together and not operating in parallel planes.

Simon,

As a general rule it is best to avoid the self-contained type of chrono'.

Although they are very compact and quick to set up which is appealing, they are very vunerable.

Better to choose the type that only exposes the relatively cheap sensors to danger, while keeping the expensive electronics well out of harm's way next to the shooter.

Eg, Oehler & Pact.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the reply's lads. The f1 arrived yesterday so after supper I got the .22/250 and 10 rounds and went for a play. The load used was lapua once fired brass neck sized only, trimmed to length and all the usual brass prep, cci br2 primer, 35.2grn varget, 55grn v-max, col 2.495". Results over the chrony are as follows for a ten shot string, 3420, 3415, 3416, 3417, 3422, 3419, 3419, 3417, 3416, 3420 so overall very happy with my handloads. Have made some more up with 1/4 grain increase in charge weight and see how I come on upto 36.5 grns. My pet load up until now has been 35.2grn varget as it gave great groups so never went any further but now I will see if an increase in fps will tighten the groups up even more and see if there is another sweet spot without pressure signs. Will let yous know how I get on and the .223 will get the same treatment tonight. Cheers Simon

That looks really consistent Simon - Do you anneal your cases?

These weren't annealed, just fire formed with the same load and neck sized. I've been getting about 8 loads out of the cases before they become hard to chamber but have not got any of these left to put over the chrony to see if the consistency goes. I only binned 200 8x fired cases about two week ago, wish I had kept some to test. I've got 50 rounds made up with virgin brass, 40 once fired to do some testing with and 10 that are twice fired as of last night. Would you advise any other powders to try apart from varget? Cheers Simon

These weren't annealed, just fire formed with the same load and neck sized. I've been getting about 8 loads out of the cases before they become hard to chamber but have not got any of these left to put over the chrony to see if the consistency goes. I only binned 200 8x fired cases about two week ago, wish I had kept some to test. I've got 50 rounds made up with virgin brass, 40 once fired to do some testing with and 10 that are twice fired as of last night. Would you advise any other powders to try apart from varget? Cheers Simon

I'm sorry Simon, I can't help you with loads for your 22-250 but I do use Varget in my 6mmBr and very pleased with the results. With an ES like that though you must be doing something right.

Would you advise any other powders to try apart from varget? Cheers Simon

Hi Simon,

Two powders that have worked for me, are N140 and H4895, I have used numerous weights of bullets over many years with the 22-250 and always come back to a 55g of some description, most recently, same as you the Vmax but the moly ones. But to be honest it sounds like you've nailed it already ;)

Certainly worth trying for a few more fps, let us know how you get on, but dont shoot the new chrony. :lol:

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got out with the chrony again. Will be sticking to my pet load for the .22/250 of 35.2grn varget and 55grn v-max as the fps increased the groups stayed much the same so no point changing it. For the .223 I made up some rounds with once fired lapua brass neck sized and the usual brass prep, rem small rifle primer, 25.5grn h4895, topped off with a 50grn v-max to a col of 2.250. Once again I was impressed with the consistency, 10 shot string as follows 3199, 3205, 3207, 3218, 3203, 3211, 3202, 3212, 3204, 3209 and the group at 120 yards was a ragged hole with one shot about half an inch left which I felt I pulled alittle. Have yet to try the 53grn v-max as they haven't arrived yet but might not bother with them! I ment to take pictures but had packed up before I remembered! Seems like my foxing loads were spot on to begin with. Cheers Simon

Archived