Lightweight stock options for R700 s/a

tackb

my 260 stalking rifle is currently in a mcmillan general hunter (pillar bedded) and i find i cant get a good cheek weld (well one i'm happy with) so i'm thinking of getting a Mcmillan A2 if i can find one, but my question to you all is can you suggest or recommend any alternatives ? i like the look of the pse tactical stock,does anyone have any comments on them?

i like the grip on mcmillan A series stocks and i want it to be modern materials as my rifles get used in all weathers and conditions , not fussed about it being adjustable if it fits as i dont change optics etc very often weight is a consideration as i used to use my 308 (chuffin heavy) but it was too heavy for a week on the hill running around after hinds which is why i had the 260 built.

i've been using a cheek pad which is ok but i want a permanent solution now.

thanks in advance for your help

R

The PSE sporter stocks are super light, circa 700grams and have a high monte carlo cheekpiece. Cheek weld is no problem at all.

thanks hatzi , what about the e-tac ? any experience ?

I have one of each. The etac is also light at 1080grams but i thought you wanted a sporting stock?

i have a sporting stock but as i'm changing i do actually prefer the steep grip offered by the tactical type stocks just not the weight for this aplication ?

See the Darrell Holland stock below.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p2948-remington-700-sa-in-260-rem.html

Took me 7 or 8 years to find this stock. Regards JCS

thanks , another option but to be honest i'm not a massive fan of thumb hole stocks (although that one looks good for my massive hands!)

Hello takb I have a mcmillan a3 on my stalking rifle but it is the light fill model not sure of weight but has pistol grip and comb is ideal give Jackson a ring

regards rob

thanks , another option but to be honest i'm not a massive fan of thumb hole stocks (although that one looks good for my massive hands!)

I've got fairly big hands. I've 2 thumbhole stocks and I've just ordered another one of these. In an ideal world I wouldn't shoot with anything else. Mcmillan do some really lightweight Edge stuff http://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-stocks-ultralight.php and if you dig into the Jackson Rifles website, you eventually can find a spreadsheet of what they have in stock. Russell Gall showed me an Edge stock and it's amazingly light. Good luck. JCS

A PSE sporter built in the full carbon version is actually slightly lighter than an Edge and is also stiffer, far better cheek support and a better forend for bipod mounting. We compared them side by side.

Chris-NZ

We are getting a larger shipment to US ready at the moment and

have a few stocks ready on the shelf if someone needs a stock quick.

Stocks to the US are not all bespoke, so it wouldn't matter sending less.

edi

thanks for all your replies gents , most helpful

i'm going with an A3 light fill or the e-tac (just need to get my hands on an etac to see if i like them)

cheers

ps anybody interested in a mcmillan sako hunter(camo) with a 14.5 inch lop (pillar bedded for the rem 700 s/a) and whats it worth?

• 1 month later...

Done it chaps !

Gone with the e-tac and a march scope to boot (ouchy in the wallet region!)

I love he fact that it looks like it should be a 18lb tactical rig and then you pick it up and hey presto it's a sporter weight hunting rifle!

Thanks for all your help

R

Archived