Is 6.5 x55 swede LEGAL in France???

Guest northernchris

Chris

Legally any calibre used as a military standard is a no no to use in France which covers the 6.5x55.(223/243/308/30-06 & 7mm mauser i think)

I don`t know how strictly this is enforced but its probably wise to take something else.Besides its a good excuse for a variation :rolleyes:

Guest northernchris

Hi Tim

I have found alot of info on the net regarding millitery cals ,none of them mention the swede,it looks like "current" cals but i would like to see it in "black & white"

There you go Chris an obscure link but its the only place which gives a few of the european calibres prohibited that I can find and it does back up the military thing with the swedes still using it

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?p=33188

From what I gather theres over 40 on the banned list but I haven`t been able to see a complete run down.I was on a US site a while back and the same answer was given by an ex pat living in France but as of yet I can`t find the link again :rolleyes:

How he explained it was that any calibre past or present that you are able to obtain military surplus for is prohibited

Looks like you found the same thing as me,they mentioned a list of over 34 calibres that are banned but i could find the dam thing.

If you`re thinking of going I`d take advantage of the modular system on your Sauer and just do the change over to a 270win.That way you know theres not going to be a problem whatever the law

Tim

Guest northernchris

There was a 7x74 barrel floating around down here,but i would rather leave the 202 as is and get another combo.

If i was to Akley the 6.5 would it still be classed as the same round?? ;)

There was a 7x74 barrel floating around down here,but i would rather leave the 202 as is and get another combo.

If i was to Akley the 6.5 would it still be classed as the same round?? ;)

I don`t think it would but it might take some explaining to the french authorities especially if you had to try and overcome the language barrier.If you got an over zealous officer and he saw 6.5x55 on the paperwork I don`t think the AI would come into it :(

To be honest I`ve known lads that have taken stuff over and they`ve been waved through without any checks whatsoever but its not a risk that I`d want to be taking nowadays

Guest northernchris

No i wouldnt chance it either.

I will get hold of Northants police to confirm in writing what is/isnt allowed.

May have to start looking into building a 7mm/08 improved ;)

Just to confirm Chris, any military case (even if it isn't current) is not allowed in France - so you cant take 30-06, 223, 338 LM and 308 either.

7x64, 7x57 and other Euro rounds would be sweet though and as the man said, it justifys the variation request ;)

Guest northernchris

Cheers Andy ;)

I shot a 6.5 x 68s 20 odd years ago which belonged to a German Client i had out stalking,that was an "interesting" round.

The 7mm 08 improved could be a nice little round,whats peoples thought on that and the 6.5x 68?

Guest northernchris

My mate is sorting some big blocks of ground out around Brive, with a large amount of pig and Reds on.I will be sorting trips out from late spring 2008.

I want something for them (stalked not driven) but also that i can use over here.

I fancy something like

.270wsm

7mm08

.280 Ackey

.300wsm

Guest northernchris

Just got this from an ex-copper

"If you have a 'military calibre' rifle on your FAC and a European Firearms Pass you may take it to France to hunt with.

The 6.5 x 55 Swedish is indeed a 1st category calibre as far as the French are concerned.

1st category calibres are not prohibited in France, they just require more justification to possess over a non military calibre like .243 or 7mm08."

I found the different categorys last nite covering everthing from Air weapones to Auto C/F

Archived