First foray into .308 long range / open sights

Richaroo

I sold up my SSG 04 and Lupold LRT to concentrate on a a .243 build for long range v (308 cleared land hard to come by where I am) , but thought I'd like to keep my 308/7.62 slot for target. On limited funds I liked the idea of trying something traditional.

I've aquired a Parker Hale TX1200 7.62 rebarrelled my Fultons with a 28" tapered heavy target. It has a tunnel front sight and PH5B rear. The bolt a little wobbly when all the way to the rear but the action is tight when foward and locked, and it ejects perfectly. The barrel looks to have not done much at all.

Very heavy, very old school. I love it. While I'm planning on hand loading it I can't wait to get on the range with a cople of boxes of PPU I've left over.

Any advice on these would be welcome, especially the use of / care of the sights and any recommended hand load data.

I've emailed the serial to Fultons for more acurate info on the barrel.

ph1200.jpg

I sold up my SSG 04 and Lupold LRT to concentrate on a a .243 build for long range v (308 cleared land hard to come by where I am) , but thought I'd like to keep my 308/7.62 slot for target. On limited funds I liked the idea of trying something traditional.

I've aquired a Parker Hale TX1200 7.62 rebarrelled my Fultons with a 28" tapered heavy target. It has a tunnel front sight and PH5B rear. The bolt a little wobbly when all the way to the rear but the action is tight when foward and locked, and it ejects perfectly. The barrel looks to have not done much at all.

Very heavy, very old school. I love it. While I'm planning on hand loading it I can't wait to get on the range with a cople of boxes of PPU I've left over.

Any advice on these would be welcome, especially the use of / care of the sights and any recommended hand load data.

ph1200.jpg

This is my first post on UK Varminting, so here goes.

I have a similar Parker Hale which I got a couple of years ago after using a friends Parker Hale with very satisfiying results! You know who you are!

Nailed a rabbit at 438 yards with the first shot!post-11395-0-14938500-1338926460_thumb.jpg

The load for target that I was given by the owner of the rifle is lapua brass, br2 primer with 155Gr A-Max, 44 Gr Varget seated at 2.810" (this is with the factory barrel).

Cheers, Carl

• 1 month later...

This is my first post on UK Varminting, so here goes.

I have a similar Parker Hale which I got a couple of years ago after using a friends Parker Hale with very satisfiying results! You know who you are!

Nailed a rabbit at 438 yards with the first shot!post-11395-0-14938500-1338926460_thumb.jpg

The load for target that I was given by the owner of the rifle is lapua brass, br2 primer with 155Gr A-Max, 44 Gr Varget seated at 2.810" (this is with the factory barrel).

Cheers, Carl

Just revisiting this thread to pick up on the load data, thanks for the input Carl. Has anyone got any other info to try?

Was thinking of trying out 167gr Scenar.

Also, is it worth picking up the different PH foresight elements? There are a few on ebay.

ph1200.jpg

Great set-up Rich!

I'd hazard a guess that it'll be set up for palma type loads - ie 155gr bullets?

Richaroo,

You have bought a 'classic' Target Rifle which would have been 'state of the art' about 30 years ago. It would normally have 1 in 13 or even 1 in 14 twist barrel set up for the 155 bullet. Vit 140 is a very popular powder amongst the TR guys - start around 45gn and work up slowly.

The aperture sights are of course designed to be used with the Bisley style target - not much use for anything else though but could be a market if you try Ebay.

Vince

Thanks for the replies!

I've emailed Fultons of Bisley a picture of the barrel markings (they did the replacement as I understand it) to see if I can find any info on it.

I'd not heard of Palma style shooting until today and have just been reading up - yes, I'll stick with the 155gr, Sierra Match Kings get a mention here and there, for now and see how I go. Cheers for the load info TGP.

Any one have info on the PH5B / PH60? I've tried the well known sites which I've dug up some stuff but all I can find are PH5a's and c's - what are the marking / adjustments graded at?

With that in mind - where do you shoot 800yrds plus on paper? I've not done a pilgrimage to Bisley yet as it's a bit of a trek but figure to test this PH out, that's where I'll have to go!

I've been concentrating on getting my .243 rig going, but I'm just itching to get this up on the ranges!!!!

MMmmmm, better start saving for the Vit140 brass and heads too. :rolleyes::lol:

With that in mind - where do you shoot 800yrds plus on paper? I've not done a pilgrimage to Bisley yet as it's a bit of a trek but figure to test this PH out, that's where I'll have to go!

Richaroo,

We're shooting 800 yards on paper targets tomorrow - Sunday - at Diggle. There will be a few there with rifles exactly like yours. We've got a 900 yds later in the month.

Cheers

Vince

Archived