Here you go buddy. John Dean is a good friend of mine, and his gear is absolutely top notch, at a lot less than other tactical gear.I have had one of his bags for over a year, and its had some right hammer.....its still like new.I also have one of his mats, and they are excellent too. The good thing about all his gear, is that its designed by a shooter, so it has all the bits that are really needed, and none of the crap that isn,t. If its any sort of indicator, every shooter bar a handfull at diggle uses his gear. In fact there are so many, everyone has their name on their gear otherwise you take the wrong one.

http://www.aimfieldsports.com/

Hi,

If you go for the cheaper ones about £40, to use it as a rucksack is crap.

Now if you are 6' plus maybe you will get away with it but me at 5' 7'' just couldn't get on with it. When you look at the aimsfield stuff on a person the bag is a long way above your head when in rucksack carry. The cheap ones aren't so the rifle stabs you in the calfs ( calves?) :rolleyes: .

General build quality of the cheap one is ok but the design seems lacking, ok if you are willing to modify it a bit to your preference. I supplied the local cobbler with some webbing and he modded it to my preferences by lowering the straps 8 inches so the bag sits higher. Cost £8.

For me the rifle is carried upside down in an horizontal carry as the rifle sits in the shaped bag the scope and handles are opposite sides so when you put it down you place the scope down first, seems a bit of a design cock up to me.

If I was to purchase again I would do as baldie suggested.

Depends on what you want.

I have an Arktis bag, that is excellent and cost circa £90, its very heavy duty and can hold rifle, 300+ rounds, bipod, back bag and food + any extra accesories you may care to carry out in the field. It fits snug on the shoulders and is very comfortable, no matter what you are carrying.

Now while I was visiting DS1 in Czeckslovakia in october, he kindly lent me a drag bag that folded ingeniously out into a full length matt.

The whole system was very compact, but afforded easy deployment yet keeping the rifle, optics and other kit we carry in protective cover (untill you unclipped everything)

I would certainly use the latter if I was stalking reds in Scotland or on the northern fells around Shap / Thirlmere, where you need to carry quite a bit of kit "just in case"

I think i have only one pic of the bag at the moment and was writing a review of it for the forum (havent got around to it yet due to a bit of bad news) but here's a general view.

DSCN0250.jpg

The rifle sits in a very heavy duty material and is held lengthways by flaps that lock in nylon QD clips, the main flaps then fold over and lock in similar fashion.

I'll post more soon, perhaps DS1 could advise on price if anyone asks.

Guest northernchris

I have a Black Hawk drag bag pretty pricey but built like a brick s**t house,i have had it 9 months or so and gets used at least 2-3 times every week in the field (not just going to the range) and its been sound. Stacks of room for stalking kit i,e

spare knives,first aid kit ,drag rope,perve gloves,mutton cloth,camera,flask,ammo boxs etc etc The only problem with it is it has too much storage space,which tends to get filled with unnecessary crap :)

http://www.rifle-cases.co.uk/Black-Hawk-Pr...ng-Gun-Drag-Bag

I have a Black Hawk drag bag pretty pricey but built like a brick s**t house

So it should be for the money...in fact I think I have seen cheaper brick s**t houses!! :)

You used to get a free Blackhawk bag with every Mcmillan A5 - those were the days :)

Win'.

Heard on the news today that they've just confirmed a case of Blue Tongue :lol: in Dumf' and Galloway, what kind of "Drag Bags" :D have you been hanging about with while up there at Shreks. l hope you're not up to your old tricks again mate, l've told you before leave his sister alone........

• 3 months later...

Gone and done it - bought a Blackhawk Stalker Drag Mat and am VERY pleased with it. ;) Well worth the money as from the quality I reckon it'll last me a lifetime! Bought it from optics planet in the end as they had it on offer (http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-stalker-drag-mat-black.html), which including postage is ~£70...plus didn't get done by customs either! :( Very happy! :(

For info: As a bag it's roughly 4ft 3" long, ~12" wide, and variable depth due to the adjustable straping....but it copes with my 700VLS & Leup 6-24x50mm with plenty to spare if you want. The only thing you may want to consider if length of rifle it can cope with 3ft (min) to 4ft 1" (max) should roughly cater for most guns. It also has an integral ammo pouch, general pouch and fold out elbow patch for us lanky beggars! It's fully water proof & padded and unfolded it is roughly 4ft 3" long (5ft 1" long with elbow patch deployed) and 3ft 3" wide. It has carry handles for use briefcase style, holdall style or rucksack style. Plus it has enough well sewn on loops to attach anything you want to it...built like a brick outhouse!! :lol:

Archived