yes three,

1st and best in my rifle is hornady tap with the 168 amax head (shoots well in every rifle i've tried so far but it is spenny)

2nd is federal gold medal match , didn't shoot quite so well in my rifle but its a solid performer.

3rd is the privi stuff with the 168g hpbt it doesnt shoot in my rifle particulally spectacular but if it shoots in your rifle then buy as much as you can before the price goes up !

yes three,

1st and best in my rifle is hornady tap with the 168 amax head (shoots well in every rifle i've tried so far but it is spenny)

2nd is federal gold medal match , didn't shoot quite so well in my rifle but its a solid performer.

3rd is the privi stuff with the 168g hpbt it doesnt shoot in my rifle particulally spectacular but if it shoots in your rifle then buy as much as you can before the price goes up !

The NRA's RUAG stuff at Bisley is top notch and probably presents the best balance between cost and quality.

Top end in my experience is Lapua Factory Match - but significantly more expensive.

The NRA's RUAG stuff at Bisley is top notch and probably presents the best balance between cost and quality.

Top end in my experience is Lapua Factory Match - but significantly more expensive.

aggree on the lapua stuff being top notch but very expensive (my rifle prefers the tap stuff though)

i've not tried the nra stuff so can't comment.

A second for HPS ammo.

Have used it in an FTR rifle for 2 years out to 1,000 yards with great success. Have used everything from 155 to 200 gr rounds. Consistent, repeatable performance from it, and at half the price of other factory ammo, made it an easy choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Federal match ammo in my savage heavy barrel did .25 inch at hundred yards with even trying and held on well out to three hundred but not had chance to go further yet

Try the Privi Match, it very good indeed.

Is that a 'waaaa'? :unsure:

Although I do know someone who used Czech Police-Issue Sellier and Bellot Match 308 ammo to set a record in competition at Bisley.

That was some years ago.

Never been equalled or beaten since I believe. ;)

:lol:

Aye....the wind blows em in, as well as out..... :lol:

seriously, the privi match [brown box ] is very good. It works very well in AW,s particularly.

If it wasn,t for the hard extraction , i would use it in my AR10, instead of reloading for it.

HPS 308 match -anyone got any chrono data on it? be interested in ES etc

From last year;

200gr

Average velocity of 2564fps. ES = 26. SD = 9.5.

190gr

Average velocity of 2717fps. ES = 24. SD = 8.9.

155gr

Average velocity of 2932fps. ES = 19. SD = 6.8

All from a 30" Bartlein barrel, 1:12.

Since then i have been reloading, but i tried a few HPS recently, and found that averages velocities are down on last years (last time i chrono'd). The avergae for 155 is now in the 2850fps mark. 190 in the 2640 mark. Have not tried any other rounds so not sure. I also notice HPS is now using Lapua brass

From last year;

200gr

190gr

155gr

Since then i have been reloading, but i tried a few HPS recently, and found that averages velocities are down on last years (last time i chrono'd). The avergae for 155 is now in the 2850fps mark. 190 in the 2640 mark. Have not tried any other rounds so not sure. I also notice HPS is now using Lapua brass

Interesting data. Better than I would have guessed.

Do you find the long barrel reduces ES compared to 'normal' length barrels?

Have you got any comparable data for any other match brands from the same barrel?

Is the new brass headstamped HPS or just normal lapua markings?

Sorry for '20 questions' :rolleyes::)

Thanks!

Interesting data. Better than I would have guessed.

Yeah it's pretty good. Prior to reloading HPS was the ammo to go for. Was so good i successfully used it in comps against reloaded ammo to good results.

Do you find the long barrel reduces ES compared to 'normal' length barrels?

Afraid i cannot say. Selection of true match ammo is minimal at best, and HPS only became available shortly before reloading was introduced. So never got to run it through the TRG or any other shorter barreled rifle.

Have you got any comparable data for any other match brands from the same barrel?

As with the above comment the selection of true match grade ammo was not great. With Lapua, and a couple of other brands available. Plus at the time i had no access to a chrono. No reloading so speeds were irrelevant in that i could not change or load so whatever the factory ammo done, it done.

Is the new brass headstamped HPS or just normal lapua markings?

No HPS stamp at all. It's all Lapua "own brand" as such. not complaining as i buy a box of HPS from time to time and i end up with 50 fireformed, once fired brass for my troubles. :D

Sorry for '20 questions' :rolleyes::)

Thanks!

Apologies for the 2 answers. :blush:

From last year;

200gr

190gr

155gr

Thanks for all that! :)

Archived