Polymer cartridges cases

I used to work with someone who spent a lot of time in the 80's working on caseless ammunition for military use here in the UK, they could get it to shoot and it returned good accuracy but barrel fouling was an issue and the project was eventually shelved.

If loaded in bulk it may save on material costs and save weight (a military consideration). I wonder how many years before it gets used in smaller chamberings and becomes available to civilians? What are the chances of sizing and reloading a polymer case?

Alan

If loaded in bulk it may save on material costs and save weight (a military consideration). I wonder how many years before it gets used in smaller chamberings and becomes available to civilians? What are the chances of sizing and reloading a polymer case?

Alan

I got to shoot some 308 polymer cased ammo at the Shot Show (see our Target Shooter Shot Show supplement). It was originally developed (for the military) to save weight but they found it was more accurate than their conventional ammo. I'm sure it will be available to civilians very soon.

Vince

It was originally developed (for the military) to save weight but they found it was more accurate than their conventional ammo.

Sounds like classic salesman 'truth stretching' seizing on neanderthal infantry ballistic thinking - 'must be the new case that makes it more accurate';

Wonder if the grunts considered what else may be different about low production-run demo ammo when compared to normal issue? :rolleyes::lol::)

Must be the case making the difference then :rolleyes::lol:

Be surprised if this isn't the fad of the moment; but then again, you just have to look at shotgun ammo (and some rifle training natures) to realise there's nothing new here.

Be interesting to see the maths behind the 40% more ammo claim in the link.

I guess soaring metal prices will determine longevity in the civilian market - if it's cheaper.

Archived