Annealing/Tempilaq

MJR

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what temp indicator I need to use when annealing. I'm thinking 475F, is that correct?

Thanks.

Spud will know and probably Davy as well.... I thought it was higher but not sure.... think Tempilaq comes in two temp ranges?

Tempilaq and similar temperature crayons or paint cover a wide range of temperatures (not just two) so I would hang fire until a definite pointer comes up from an established user ;)

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what temp indicator I need to use when annealing. I'm thinking 475F, is that correct?

Thanks.

I use Tempilaq rated at 750f on the inside and outside of the neck and paint a line down below the shoulder for about 1/3rd of an inch.

I also use the paint rated at 375f and paint a line from midway down the case body to the headstamp.

Brass needs to get around 700f/800f to be annealed correctly and also you must not allow the headstamp to go anywhere above 350f/400f or it will become too soft and will cause serious problems for the shooter.

My cases are 284 Win and the green rated 750f turns from green to black just about 1/4 of an inch below the shoulder and the pink 375f just turns red at the midpoint of the case but stays pink at the headstamp. It takes around 5.1/2 seconds to anneal my cases with 2 burners and the Benchsource annealing machine.

I have annealed my cases now for quite sometime now and find that this combination works very well in annealing my cases correctly without any problems.

I suggest you look at the Benchsource machine and go on their website which is manufactured by Vertex and you will find their take on annealing etc.

Thanks.

Tempilaq liquid come in about 40 different temperature ranges from around 170f up to something like 2000f.

It depends a bit on what method you use as to what temperature range you will need.

The 475F liquid is correct if you use the "Hornady" method. This is used 3/8inch down from the shoulder to indicate the temperature of the body. As soon as the indicator changes colour then stop, the heat must not travel down the case more than about 1/3 down.

http://blog.sinclairintl.com/2010/03/03/product-evaluation-hornady-annealing-system/

The other way which you could call the method "Benchsource" uses Tempilaq at a higher temperature range, say about 700-750F. This is painted on the inside of the neck.

The flame must not contact the Tempilaq directly, it needs tranferred heat to be reliable. Don't be tempted to heat the brass until it glows, this will make the brass too soft and will damage to brass. Quenching in water is a personal preference, I do but it makes no difference to the brass.

I have tried the crayons but find they give poor results.

You only need a small spot of the liquid not a big stip up the side.

You only need to use the liquid for the first few cases to get the timing right.

I have a Metronome App on my phone to count the seconds for the first few.

Replace the lid of the bottle as soon as you have used it. It evaporates quickly.

Archived