Rifle choice

Shoot em

Wanting to have a new rifle built for long range carn't make mind up 6mm x284 or 6.5x47 some say this others say that any one with a uniformed knowledge of both

Will be used a lot not on paper but all sorts shooting from deer to vermin

Barrel life will suck on the 6x284 but the long range ballistics are way better, but you really don't need all that grunt that the 6x284 has to offer, so I'd go with the inherent accuracy and long barrel life of the 6.5x47.

6.5x47 for sure, had a 6x284 and it was a PITA from day one, by the time you get a load worked up the throat is already fire cracking, even 243 Ack would be a better choice than 6x284

i have a 6-284 short shoots berger 105s @3300fps :) its been doing a bit at diggle in f-class but going to be rebarreled to 6-6.5x47.you would be better off long term with the 6,5x47.

Wanting to have a new rifle built for long range carn't make mind up 6mm x284 or 6.5x47 some say this others say that any one with a uniformed knowledge of both

Will be used a lot not on paper but all sorts shooting from deer to vermin

Have you considered 260 Rem?

Hi,

Have you considered a 6.5 creedmoor I had on built last year, and love it.

PJ.

Shootem,

As Elwood said the 284 would have an edge on the 47 but you'd flush away barrel life if you were using it to its full potential.

Your description of use i.e. target and aniamal, would fit the 47 hand in glove.

There are the 'other' 6.5's, e.g. 260 or Creedmore etc. but I've not seen any real difference between the 3 in real performance. The 47 is a very nice cartridge and inherantly accurate, think it's won a few F-class competitons etc. ( http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/04/erik-cortina-breaks-300-yard-f-class-record-with-6-5x47-lapua/ ).

But any of the latest 6.5's will do you, I just like the concept of an efficiant case size, similar in idea to PPC's and BR's etc.

You will not be disapointed with a 47 :)

Terry

Thanks guys for a swift answer 6x284 out of the window will be 6.5x47 it's what I had in mind just have to get my arse down to see mike Norris again

Archived