Underrated .22 Hornets

Hi guys, took this video today and thought I would share it with you. I have heared and read lots of people slagging of .22 Hornets, said they are shite and not accurate. I have had great success with mine over the years, and been able to push the little cartridges boundaries to what people think isn't really possible from this little cartridge.

Today there was a difficult varying full value wind witch was playing havick with the little 35 grain V-Max low BC bullets but as you can see from the video, when loaded and set up right the little .22 Hornet can be used with accuracy to very good effect.

By no means this is not long range but with poor BC bullets out of a little .22 hornet its quite a long way with a great deal of accuracy in windy conditions.

Don't doubt a well set up hornet guys, a rabbits head size target, CD's at 215 yards in difficult conditions

Hope you enjoy .

Steve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMh9Dw8- ... ata_player

Hey cheers thanks for your nice comments guys, id like to think the third one went through the middle :lol:^_^

Yeh, its not long range but I thought it would have been of some interest to people as with it being a Hornet and people critisise them for not being accurate.

Thanks again chaps

Steve.

Nice video.

I suppose the fundamentals of long range apply as in essence this is long range to the equipment used if you know what I mean. Keep meaning to do some 150 yard plus 22 rimfire shooting but not sure my set up would be repeatable enough to be meaningful.

Just seem to use my 308 more and more these days :rolleyes:

The 22H is a fine choice for short to medium distance vermin control, plus extremely cheap and fun to reload. I upgraded to the .22H from the .17HMR so I could reload and didn't regret it one bit. I got great accuracy and it took its fair share of rabbits and foxes. However I sold mine at Christmas and am going to try out the 17 Fireball.

Nice video.

I suppose the fundamentals of long range apply as in essence this is long range to the equipment used if you know what I mean. Keep meaning to do some 150 yard plus 22 rimfire shooting but not sure my set up would be repeatable enough to be meaningful.

Just seem to use my 308 more and more these days :rolleyes:

Dead right! Long range varies depending on the equipment? As a boy I used to shoot tins at 70 plus yds with my air rifle , I think the die was set!

Nice video.

I suppose the fundamentals of long range apply as in essence this is long range to the equipment used

Dead right mate, that's how I meant to say it. :rolleyes:

Cheers mate

Steve.

Great vid, often thought about changing my .17 HMR for hornet.

I changed my .17HMR for my .22 hornet, never looked back, even shooting factory ammo my .22 Hornet would so so easily out perform my HMR in every single way. Being able to reload it gives you freedo to play around and investigate with different loads and different levels of performance. Ii find that the 40 grain v max is one if the best bullets to reload the Hornet with, some people say that the 40 vmax loads won't fit in the mag but I never had any trouble. I just have a 1000 35 grain vmax to use up.

Never really worked it out but I have heared many a time the Hornet is as cheap if not cheaper to reload for then to buy HMR ammo?

Steve.

I changed my .17HMR for my .22 hornet, never looked back, even shooting factory ammo my .22 Hornet would so so easily out perform my HMR in every single way.

Steve.

This was unexpected?? :)

The 40 V-Max grain won't fit in my CZ 527 magazine. If you get the chance, try some Midway "Dog Town" 34 grain bullets. Higher BC than the 35 grain VM and sub MOA from my CZ. Very destructive on rabbits and prairiedogs.~Andrew

Hi mate,

My Hornet is a Cz 527. It shoots 35/40 grain vmax into one ragged hole at 100 yards. It will shoot the 46 grain Winchester ammo under half inch too and when reloaded the 46 grain bullets group as good as the vmaxs.

I personally wouldn't get a .22 hornet in a Ruger, 3 of my mates had them and got rid as the wernt very accurate, nothing like my CZ. But they are lovely lookers!

I have researched that they have to longer chambers for decent accuracy. This is just from what I have read and heared and from what my mates have experienced.

Personally if go for the Cz's in .22 Hornet as they easily out perform the .22 Rugers in my experience.

There is a decent range of bullets for the hornet, the 40 grain vmax is ballisticly the best, some can get them to fit in their mags some carnt, you can still single load them if not, but you have a large range of light weights and heavey weights bullets to choose from, you won't go wrong with something between 34 - 50 grains.

Cheap to reload, not that noisy without a mod either.

You'll love yours.

I'll do another video soon, ill push the range further if the weather is good :o). CD's or clays at 300 yards are easy enough when the weather is good, thats a large rabbits head !

Glad you enjoyed the vid

Steve.

superb vid i have put in a variation for a hornet still waiting what rifle you using and what twist is it ,is the 1/14 better with the ruger for 40 grvmax or the cz 1/16 twist

atb thekeeper

[

The 1/16 will no doubt stabilise the 40 grain v max, the question is will they fit in your mag.... Mine do some don't!

I changed my .17HMR for my .22 hornet, never looked back, even shooting factory ammo my .22 Hornet would so so easily out perform my HMR in every single way. Being able to reload it gives you freedo to play around and investigate with different loads and different levels of performance. Ii find that the 40 grain v max is one if the best bullets to reload the Hornet with, some people say that the 40 vmax loads won't fit in the mag but I never had any trouble. I just have a 1000 35 grain vmax to use up.

Never really worked it out but I have heared many a time the Hornet is as cheap if not cheaper to reload for then to buy HMR ammo?

Steve.

Cheers Steve,

I'll get the finger out and get the paperwork done.

Bobbo.

superb vid i have put in a variation for a hornet still waiting what rifle you using and what twist is it ,is the 1/14 better with the ruger for 40 grvmax or the cz 1/16 twist

atb thekeeper

[

I'm with 247Sniper on the Ruger. I have owned both and of the dozen or so Hornets I have owned over the decades, they lie on opposite ends of the accuracy spectrum. The 77/22 Hornet was one of the most in accurate rifles I have ever owned, in any caliber. The CZ 527 American replaced an Anschutz with no regrets. My friend and my son both had these rifles before I did and I was so impressed with the accuracy they got that I bought one as well. You might want to pump the brakes a bit on that Ruger decision.JMHO~Andrew

I have heard people say that too, but I dont see how. I can get HMR for 19p each currently, Hornady branded, blue tip V-Max.

The cheapest I can find 40gn V-Max is 16p (cheapest with any bullet 14.1p), CCI small rifle primers, 3.4p so I don't think you can reload even the Hornet for the cost of a HMR.

The performance will of course be much higher, what's the moderated noise like in comparison to an HMR?

Good shooting, but you must have some funny rabbits if their heads are the size of CDs! :lol:

It's not to much more gareth, my mate has a wild cat pred 8 on his and it's not much more then a HMR.

As for the rabbits heads.... You know what I mean, if you can reliably smash cd's and clays etc you can head shot bunnies. Certainly cheat shots.

I'll be uploading some clays being shot a 300 yards soon with the Hornet for those interested.

Cheers

Steve.

It's not to much more gareth, my mate has a wild cat pred 8 on his and it's not much more then a HMR.

As for the rabbits heads.... You know what I mean, if you can reliably smash cd's and clays etc you can head shot bunnies. Certainly cheat shots.

I'll be uploading some clays being shot a 300 yards soon with the Hornet for those interested.

Cheers

Steve.

Cheers

Steve.

Archived