Extream deviation

247sniper

Can someone explain this for me please,

If a average MV is 974, the lowest verlocity recorded was 971 and the highest was 978 over 10 shots. What the standard deviation explained please,

Cheers lads

Steve.

Steve,

Two different things; extreme spread - standard deviation.

Extreme spread is simply lowest value to highest value.

Standard deviation is a statistical measure that's a bit more complicated; probably best to read through this: http://www.robertniles.com/stats/stdev.shtml

That ref is all very well BD but it's got sod-all practical value for most shooters.

I used to know all that crud when I was tutoring stats but most (happily) well forgotten now.

One other way to interpret an SD is:

- 68% of values will fall within +/- 1 SD of the average value

- 95% will fall within +/- 2 SD

- 99% will fall within +/- 3 SD

Remember this level of certainty applies only for a large sample.

ES is a more useful measure for most people. It gives the worst cases scenario at both ends and that probably counts for more.

Chris-NZ

That ref is all very well BD but it's got sod-all practical value for most shooters.

I used to know all that crud when I was tutoring stats but most (happily) well forgotten now.

One other way to interpret an SD is:

- 68% of values will fall within +/- 1 SD of the average value

- 95% will fall within +/- 2 SD

- 99% will fall within +/- 3 SD

Remember this level of certainty applies only for a large sample.

ES is a more useful measure for most people. It gives the worst cases scenario at both ends and that probably counts for more.

Chris-NZ

umm? :

STDDEV.jpg

If a average MV is 974, the lowest verlocity recorded was 971 and the highest was 978 over 10 shots. What the standard deviation explained please,

Cheers lads

Steve.

Steve,

Does your Chrono' not produce the SD figure for you?

I'd have thought most new models nowadays would do it.

Putting my Statto hat on, basically SD is a more meaningful way of comparing ES between different calibres - you still want it to be as small as poss'.

Cheers,

Steve,

Does your Chrono' not produce the SD figure for you?

I'd have thought most new models nowadays would do it.

Putting my Statto hat on, basically SD is a more meaningful way of comparing ES between different calibres - you still want it to be as small as poss'.

Cheers,

No mate, my chrono gives me the highest, the lowest, shot count and the average between the amount fired.

I thought that it was most important that the ES was small as possible, lucky enough on the .204 with the load I have developed it is :D

Cheers fella,

Steve.

• 1 month later...
..ES is a more useful measure for most people....

Chris. ES only tells you the difference in velocity between your fastest and slowest shot, nothing else. It tells you nothing more whether you fire two shots or a 100 shots. Here's an interesting link on the topic:

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/reloading-velocity-decisions.html

Regards JCS

You find that the SD is usually half the extreme spread value on small samples (ie 5). To calculate the SD you'd need all of the readings in the string, but as the ES is 7 fps, the SD will almost certainly be either 3 or 4 if it's from 10 rounds or less.

To have any value, there must be a large sample size. You don't say how many rounds were fired, but a 7 fps ES would be regarded as excellent in most applications assuming you fired at least five, even better from ten. If it was from 3 rounds, both SD and ES are pretty meaningless. (In my pet hate cartridge .22 Hornet, I got some 5-shot strings that had 3 consecutive shots with identical MVs, a fourth only a few fps different and a fifth 100 or more fps awry!)

The Hornet is my pet-hate chambering too Laurie.

That's why I ditched it :D

It was funny doing .308s or .270 after handling Hornet cases- a world removed.

I just stick with the suppressed .223 now- far easier to load for.

Chris-NZ

Cheers lads

Steve.

It is a number that gives the statistical probability that your velocity will fall into a given range either side of the average. You can figure it out yourself:

Take all the velocities for the string you measured and for each velocity, find the difference from the average. Take this difference and square it. Add all these squared differences together and divide by the number of shots minus one. (Divide by 9 for a 10 shot string, or 99 for a 100 shot string)

Even a 10 shot string is a small sampling, normally, but your load seems to be under control!~Andrew

Archived