A challange for some of you.

tulkyuk

Right, after trawling through the internet and local gun shops, i am still undecided on what .223 rifle, scope & sound mod to buy.

so the callange is :-

if you had £2000 ( maybe go a litle more?) to spend on a rifle, scope and sound mod, what would you buy and why please.

Guest varmartin

I was in your position a while back....

Sako 75 Varmint Laminated Stainless. .223 /1~8 twist.

Easily one of the most accurate `out the box ` rifles available for around £1000.

Very versatile, as you can feed it any thing from 55 to 80 grain bullets.

Detachable mag that looks like its a surgical instrument, or single feed it if they are loaded longer than sammi.

Awesome trigger, to lighten it to 1-2 pounds just pop in a 2p spring.

Very stable stock and attractive too.

Legendary build quality.

Leupold 6.5-20x50 scope. Sako Optiloc mounts.... As good as you will ever need.

Harris bipod of your choice.

And a moderator that wont get your face kicked in if you mention its name... ;)

Martin

Right my choice at the moment would be ....

Sako 75 Stainless Synthetic with Optilock`s.The Sako synthetic has to be the best quality factory stock available

Swarovski 3-12x50

Stealth Compact sound mod ............................................... ;)

(But be quick if you want a 75 because they`re getting thin on the ground) :P

Quite agree , the Sako 75 varmint / top notch rifle for the money!!!! :D;)

All the best...........................

RAY................................................... :D:P

Guest varmartin
Right my choice at the moment would be ....

Sako 75 Stainless Synthetic with Optilock`s.The Sako synthetic has to be the best quality factory stock available

Swarovski 3-12x50

Stealth Compact sound mod ............................................... :P

(But be quick if you want a 75 because they`re getting thin on the ground) :D

Is it available as a synthetic /.223..??? would be awesome if it is./ was ;)

Martin

Is it available as a synthetic /.223..??? would be awesome if it is./ was :D

Martin

I only saw one 223 in that combo and it was never listed in the catalogue as a standard configuration so I presume it was a semi custom jobby :P

They do offer it in the later 85 but the jurys still out on them at the moment ;)

What type of shooting will you be doing with it?

If you want a 223 for target shooting then maybe you would want to spend two grand on it.

If you want it for foxing / rabbiting than why do you need to spend that amount of cash. I know there are plenty on here who will be jumping up and down about now, and calling me all sorts, but the proof is in the pudding and I have a 1 in 12 twist CZ 223 and the groups it will shoot are fine, take a look;

223groupuf0.jpg

These were shot at 100 yds with a witness, the first group was without the mod and the second small group was with a T8 fitted.

Millpool has a CZ 223 with a 1in 8 twist and he is using the same load as I am which is, 25.2 gns of Benchmark at SAMMI length, and he is holdin a 1 inch group at 300 yds.

Silent Souls has the same 223 as Millpool and he was making a small bit of moss dance at 800 plus yds.

So tell me do you really need to spend so much on a rifle? would it not be better to buy a cheaper rifle and spend more on a scope?

Yust my thoughts and I am sure there are plenty that will tell me why you should spend loads on a rifle that IMO can't shoot any better than a CZ. I am talking about a foxing rifle here not a target one.

Now I shall get my hard hat and flack jacket.

My CZ223 shot so well I got bored with it. Good choice and money left for a good scope.

other option ask Roedale for a tricked up howa with a bedded manners or wild dog stock and

a-tec. He might even find a scope for you. The package would be complete. No running

around after mounts and so on. Rather spend less on the first scope and upgrade later.

That's easier done than changing rifle.

edi

Guest 308Panther

$4,000 ?

Hmmm...

Ruger Model 1 Varmint .25-06

Rem 700 Tact .308 5R

Purchase 2 Leupold Mk 4 scopes.Swap scope on the AR to the Ruger.

Mount one Mk4 on the AR ....Mount other on Rem 700

Or

$4,000 would put a real good dent in a Surgeon Rifle build,or if a guy wasnt too picky

it could get him a Surgeon Razor huntin rifle.

Does it have to be a .223?

This looks interesting.

http://www.savagearms.com/12PrecVarm.htm

Might opt for the .22 -250 tho.

308Panther

Will be maily for foxes & vermin, with occasional small deer

i Already own a Sako 75 III Varmit in .243 with a Leupold VXL 6.5 - 20 x 56mm (Extreme Varmint) and its an awsome rifle, but just wanted to know what you lot thought before i buy my next little prezzie :lol:

Looks like the sako is the one most people fancy

Tulkyuk, before u buy another Sako though you'll get no argument from me on Sako quality. Consider the Styer Mannlicher pro varmint. 1 in 9" twist, fluted heavy barrel, single set trigger, weaver scope rail as standard, threaded for moderator and detachable magazine with stepped insertion. First step in and u can have a full mag (4 rounds) and feed carts in singley. Then snap up the mag to it's hilt and ur ready to feed from the mag.. Worth checking out. If you want pics let me know as any pics i upload to this site cant be seen for some reason..

Regards..

I got myself a Howa 1500 heavy barrel stainless with a desert cammo McMillan stock (pre fitted from D J Litts) for £950, I paid £600 for a Leupold 5x20x56 extreme varmint scope, superb for target, foxy and the little deer.

Superb out of the box accuracy, perhaps not the quality of the sako (as I have one in .243) but a real great rifle.

Wouldn't want to carry it far though!!!!!

Cheers

GB

Ditto what Greenbear said...

Order a heavy barreled action, and build from there. Though they have slower twist barrels, I'd assume you'd be shooting lighter bullets and shorter ranges in the UK.

The flat bottom action with the angled recoil lug makes the Howa a breeze to bed well. I've built two rifles going this route (both .223's) and they have been exceedingly accurate (one that consistantly shot in the .2's). An uncommonly accurate rifle for a fairly low price. Use the rest of your coin to customize it (like cutting the barrel back to 18" and having a moderator made that is the same diameter as the barrel to maintain clean lines).

JMTCW...

Archived