Compact moderator

I use a remington PSS in .223 for foxing and .308 for stalking, both with 26" barrels, and would like to fit moderators to them.

The rifles themselves are just about on the limit of carryable for the day so my questions are:

What moderator best fits the bill without adding excessive length and weight?

Has anyone ever combined this with shortening the barrel, and how much extra expense would this incurr?

Any advice appreciated (I've even considered changing them for LTRs).

You would easily get away with chopping the moderator length off both those calibres Garry.

I did a .308 sps only yesterday, down to 18" with an ASE Utra mod. Once i,d lopped 8" off the barrel, it felt no heavier with the mod on, but it was a lot better balanced and certainly more pointable.The customer rang this morning...the gun is now MORE accurate.

The ASE is probarbly the best moderator out there, but if weight is an issue, then the A-tec maxim is an excellent choice, proving you are not gonna put long shot strings down it at one go, as its aluminium.

Garry, I bought a VS in 308 quite a while ago so that will be a similar weight. Chopped 2" off i.e. finished at 24", stuck a T8 on the end and hey presto. Good consistent shooter for deer and varminting etc. You could go shorter but don't think I would consider shorter than 20" IMHO.

This is also handy if you are of the more discreet height variety as it stops you dragging the barrel in the floor :lol::unsure:

Garry, I bought a VS in 308 quite a while ago so that will be a similar weight. Chopped 2" off i.e. finished at 24", stuck a T8 on the end and hey presto. Good consistent shooter for deer and varminting etc. You could go shorter but don't think I would consider shorter than 20" IMHO.

This is also handy if you are of the more discreet height variety as it stops you dragging the barrel in the floor :lol::unsure:

I have ordered a sl5 for my 223 which has been chopped down to 18.5 inches

Will come back to you once I have tried it out

It's amazing what you can get away with shortening a barrel.

Here's my 7-08 T3 that is now 16" and I'm still getting excellent ballistics and accuracy. MV is 2940 with the 120TTSX at perfectly safe pressure (verified with strain gauge).

T3NewModEtcLoRes.jpg

This is the one and only group I fired on Sunday after I'd finally got some 120s. Shot in annoying 4-8mph gusts.

120TTSXinT3-Mar12.jpg

The .308 version is even more efficient with H335

Chris-NZ

Just about to try an SL 7 on my Sako TRG. Cut down to about 19 inches so it is manageable. Have had a Remington LTR which was threaded for ASE which was very effective and used Wildcat Compacts on AIAWs with 20 inch barrels, also quite good. I still don't much like suppresors but they are a requirement for some tasks and shooting on some of the land I use.

name='londonhunter' timestamp='1332880602' post='119547']

I have ordered a sl5 for my 223 which has been chopped down to 18.5 inches

Will come back to you once I have tried it out

Archived