Start up

Sakotrg

Working on the theory of buy once cry once I have been putting together a list of major items required to start homeloading.

With an up and coming Birthday I would welcome any suggestions/deletions on the following.

I will be loading 223, 243 & 338

Metal Barrelling Machine 3lb (UKGE)

Lyman Turbo Sonic Ultrasonic Case Cleaner

Wilson case prep or Redding Model 2400 Case trimming lathe

Lyman Prep centre or RCBS Trim Mate Prep centre

RCBS Hand Priming Tool – RCBS or Forster Co-Ax Primer seater

Forster Co-Ax press or RCBS Rock Chucker Press

Forster dies Forster Ultra Bench Rest Die Set or Redding Competition bullet seating die set.

RCBS Electronic Digital Caliper

RCBS 10-10 Scale - RCBS

RCBS Case Lube Kit – RCBS

Thanks in advance.

AND THE REST!its a long -long list for reloading gear you never stop buying the latest gadget but rule of thumb when starting up is-K.I.S.S.-keep it simple stupid, and its the right way to go.

It's a fair list but I don't think the 3lb machine will be anywhere near man enough to wet tumble a load of .338 cases. The minimun machine from that site would be the 5lb machine and that would slow. My tumbler takes 3 of those rubber barrels at a time and I'm not a heavy user.

Also the stainless media supplied with those tumblers will not do the job. You will end up withmedia stuck in the cases. you really need the small SS pins.

Have a look at Spuds video about tumblers and SS media on youtube.

I will be loading 223, 243 & 338

Metal Barrelling Machine 3lb (UKGE)

Lyman Turbo Sonic Ultrasonic Case Cleaner

Wilson case prep or Redding Model 2400 Case trimming lathe

Lyman Prep centre or RCBS Trim Mate Prep centre

RCBS Hand Priming Tool – RCBS or Forster Co-Ax Primer seater

Forster Co-Ax press or RCBS Rock Chucker Press

Forster dies Forster Ultra Bench Rest Die Set or Redding Competition bullet seating die set.

RCBS Electronic Digital Caliper

RCBS 10-10 Scale - RCBS

RCBS Case Lube Kit – RCBS

If you are going down the Stainless media route I dont understand why you have listed the Lyman ultrasonic cleaner too?

As mentioned see spuds web site and buy one of his tumblers.

IMHO the case prep centres are all rather on the expensive side, are you going to be shooting that much your hands wont cope. It will free funds for more important stuff.

I would also go non electric for your caliper. Manual will be more accurate and the battery wont die at the most inconvenient time. Also buy a decent engineering brand as it will be better quality than the RCBS offering.

As far as presses go if you are considering a single stage and you are reloading for larger stugg like the .338 have you considered the Redding Ultramag press.

If you are after good kit I would also look at the Wilson or Sinclair trimmers

Mark

Some of the key items I'd now never be without:

Forster Co-Ax (I have a rock chucker too but now only use it for pistol rounds or de priming)

RCBS Chargemaster

Thumbler Tumbler & SSM

Would like to add a Giraud trimmer to that list at some point too....

With a tumbler and stainless media you don't need a separate op to clean primer pockets (no need for the trim mate), just buy the chamfer tools separately or buy the RCBS trim pro with the 3 way cutting heads.

Redding and Forster dies as you've said and also look at using Imperial Wax as your case lube.

Archived