Wayward .243

wheelybins

Hi all. I'm using a cheap Remington .243 for foxing etc. I started out using Winchester ballistic silver tips 55gr and was struggling to group smaller that a foot at 200m. I've now switched to Norma 58gr ballistic tips and am reliably grouping 2" or less at the same range. I know people talk about certain loads suiting certain rifles, but is this kind of difference normal?

Cheers

Graham

This doesnt sound good to me but I have to say that I very regularly have shooters come to me with similar issues to your and more often than not its Remington 700. Remington are famous for poor crowns and 99% of the time thats all it ever is. Bring it to your nearest gunsmith and he'll be able to asses what the problem is. See if Im right.

On the other hand, depending on the twist rate of your rifle you might need to try something a bit heavier. The ammo your running is really only suitable for 1-8 twist, I would bet yours has 1-10.

Hi all. I'm using a cheap Remington .243 for foxing etc. I started out using Winchester ballistic silver tips 55gr and was struggling to group smaller that a foot at 200m. I've now switched to Norma 58gr ballistic tips and am reliably grouping 2" or less at the same range. I know people talk about certain loads suiting certain rifles, but is this kind of difference normal?

Cheers

Graham

To answer your question: Yes. It is something that happens. Some rifles just don't like some ammunition. I don't see how twist could be the problem, nor a rifle problem. It was just an ammo preference.~Andrew

It could be an ammo issue, if a bullet is particularly long it will need a faster twist to stabilise it. I had grouping issues with my .243win (10 twist)and i solved it by using short flat based bullets, when I used longer bullets in the same weight they went all over the place.

Having said that, when shooting 55grain bullets in a .243 (10 twist) you shouldn't be having stability issues, unless there is such a thing as overspinning.

How do 70-90 grain bullets shoot ???

Thanks for that. I haven't tried anything heavier yet, but I am tempted to stick with the Norma since they are working well.

It could be an ammo issue, if a bullet is particularly long it will need a faster twist to stabilise it. I had grouping issues with my .243win (10 twist)and i solved it by using short flat based bullets, when I used longer bullets in the same weight they went all over the place.

Having said that, when shooting 55grain bullets in a .243 (10 twist) you shouldn't be having stability issues, unless there is such a thing as overspinning.

How do 70-90 grain bullets shoot ???

Ronny, a bullets’ dispersion is exacerbated by spinning a bullet faster than required.

This can happen due to a poor quality bullet having a static imbalance.

While the bullet is in the barrel, it is prevented from deviation and rotates around the centre of form. Once in flight, that imbalance causes the bullet to rotate around its centre of gravity. That bullet will then describe a helical flight path through the air.

Dan Lilja wrote an article about this. I think it’s on his site, maybe worth a look.

ATB

I have just taken delivery of a sako 85 in 6.5 x 55 - using 140 grn SP hornady grouping around an inch at 100 changed to 120 grn norma nosler bt - clover leaf at 100 and 200, Bingo have found the right ammo, cannot tell you how chuffed I am, just one ammo change and it is right on the money it is a 1 in 8 twist barrel

Winchester ballistic silver tips 55gr

Norma 58gr ballistic tips

On the other hand, depending on the twist rate of your rifle you might need to try something a bit heavier. The ammo your running is really only suitable for 1-8 twist, I would bet yours has 1-10.

That statement is incorrect. Is this reply from the owner of ireland custom rifles or a member of staff :blink:

That statement is incorrect. Is this reply from the owner of ireland custom rifles or a member of staff :blink:

Lighten up a bit! people do make mistakes occasionally.

• 1 month later...

Cheers

Graham

I had a 243 Ruger years ago and it was the same with Winchester ammo I was lucky to get 2 shots on a bit of A4 paper at 1oo yards.

i would think it should still better then that even with factory ammo. but as the others said ammo might not suite that twist.

try some heavier ammo and then see how you get on.

and maybe check the crown also. I see a couple of remmys in a local gun shop the other day when in there buying some primers and bits.

and the crowns where shocking. im no gunsmith but even i could tell they where poor. looks like someone had got one of those pizza cutters to the end of it. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Get started on handloading and free yourself from factory ammo 'tyranny' !

Archived