New toy, TRG 22

Streeker59

Hi guys. It's been awhile since i posted. Work has had me jumping through hoops and back again since my firm was bought by capital venture sharks lol.

Anyway, i finaly saved the dosh for my dream beastie... Sako TRG 22 + bling lol...

I was planning to mount my Nightforce 13 - 42 with NP2-DD but the accessory mount wouldn't let me mount the scope forward enough and be able to use any kind of flip up or bikini lens cap. I may try again one day but i'll need to use butt spacers to lengthen the stock and therefore draw the scope rearward and still maintain eye relief.

My trusty Leup VX3 is installed instead and i'm looking forward to running the barrel in this sunday at Bisley..

One concern is that once the scope was mounted, i used a collimater and noticed that i had run out of windage centering the reticule.

I spun the mounts ( burris signatures )180 degrees and that gave me a bit more windage adjustment but it's not ideal.

I do have a USO picatinny 20 moa rail that i'd planned to use but the rail installed has been glued as well as screwed and i cant undo the screws without wrecking them so i'm stuck for the time being. Any ideas guys ?

P1000292.jpg

P1000293.jpg

Hi guys. It's been awhile since i posted. Work has had me jumping through hoops and back again since my firm was bought by capital venture sharks lol.

Anyway, i finaly saved the dosh for my dream beastie... Sako TRG 22 + bling lol...

I was planning to mount my Nightforce 13 - 42 with NP2-DD but the accessory mount wouldn't let me mount the scope forward enough and be able to use any kind of flip up or bikini lens cap. I may try again one day but i'll need to use butt spacers to lengthen the stock and therefore draw the scope rearward and still maintain eye relief.

My trusty Leup VX3 is installed instead and i'm looking forward to running the barrel in this sunday at Bisley..

One concern is that once the scope was mounted, i used a collimater and noticed that i had run out of windage centering the reticule.

I spun the mounts ( burris signatures )180 degrees and that gave me a bit more windage adjustment but it's not ideal.

I do have a USO picatinny 20 moa rail that i'd planned to use but the rail installed has been glued as well as screwed and i cant undo the screws without wrecking them so i'm stuck for the time being. Any ideas guys ?

P1000292.jpg

P1000293.jpg

Nice , really nice ! My first tactical type rifle was a TRG21 and I still miss it !

Try some heat on the rail bolts it's most likely only loctite holding it on and heat will sort that out

Thanks guys, i'll dig out the mrs hair dryer. It's the screws i'm concerned about. Slotted and soft as putty. Why allens weren't used is beyond me..

It's a .308 Gunnery..

Looks to be one or the TRG's that were destined for Jordan - very nice!

You are unlikely to get enough heat with a hairdryer to soften the loctite - if you have a soldering iron that will alow you to spot heat the screws and remove them easily.

If you are looking for a butt spacer, or cheeckpiece spacer the thumb wheel adjustable versions Terje makes are excellent and made to your measurements. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1428448&page=1

Tony

If its the same loctite thats used to fix the brake, then you will need a blowtorch. Never have i seen such hard loctite used. I,ve removed a couple of these, off the Jordainian rifles, and they are stuck like crap to a blanket.

Nice gun Grant, have fun with it mate. ;)

If its the same loctite thats used to fix the brake, then you will need a blowtorch. Never have i seen such hard loctite used. I,ve removed a couple of these, off the Jordainian rifles, and they are stuck like crap to a blanket.

Nice gun Grant, have fun with it mate. ;)

If they were destined for 50+ deg C desert, makes sense that they've got high temp epoxy.

Thanks for your advice guys. First try out at Bisley didn't disappoint. I was on the v bulls at 200 yds within 4 shots.

A clean using sweets copper remover showed a mear smidgen of copper trace. Another 5 rounds, another 5 v bulls and cleaned again. No copper at all this time.

After lunch,the markers replaced the target face ( we shot the center out of the earlier target ) with a 100 yard size target as that was all they could find.

The v bull on the 200 yard target is 2.1 ", the TRG was still pulling v bulls on the smaller target and thats with full length sized ammo with the bullet set back so the coal is 2.810". I was using sierra 155's ( 2155 )bullets atop 46 grns of varget and cci benchrest primers.

A ten round shot card showed 8 v bulls and 2 fives which had dropped in low. I used new lapua brass but lazily didnt size the brass before loadind them up. This of course lead to varying neck tensions and velocity spreads. Dispite this, the TRG performed admirably and i cant wait for its second outing at 300 yards next month.

I think i'll leave the existing rail on top for the mo but i may put better rings on and if that wont give me more left side windage adjustment, i'll have to consider handing the beasty over to a gunny to sort things out for me..

Hello all.

First post, but frequsnt reader.

Thought i'd start here as anytime i see TRG it always get my attention. I had one a few years abck. Loved it, and still regret selling it on. On the subject of the screws my TRG had the same problem. Previous owner decided to "stick" the screws with what can only be described at cement. I used a combination of heat treatment, and on one screw an impact driver and gingerly tapping.

However one screw simply would not budge, and i ended up taking this route ....................

.................. i'll have to consider handing the beasty over to a gunny to sort things out for me..

Got it sorted, and replaced the rail, and screws with better quality ones, and allen heads.

Love the colour of the stock, very distincive from the black and green versions. Very best of luck with her.

Unusual to see a flash hider on a TRG, is it to mount a QD moderator ?

The standard brake is little antisocial but incredibly efficient....

Tony

Think the flash hiders are for a surefire.. Would like to know for certain though, model no etc.

I have one of the Jordanian rifles too. The folding version B)

I had no idea these were a cancelled Jordanian contract. The add just said cancelled order.

I've ordered some Leupold high rings and i'm going to have another go at fitting the Nightforce to the beastie. The NP2DD ret just feels so right...

Think the flash hiders are for a surefire.. Would like to know for certain though, model no etc.

I have one of the Jordanian rifles too. The folding version B)

Makes sense although did not see/hear of any mods coming up as part of the Jordanian heap.

I ended up with a fully kitted .338, a folding stock for my .308, a pile of mags, a spare .338 barrel, Leupold spotter and an ovedraft! Jordanians, bless em :wub:

Well, i fitted some high Leupold rings and mounted the Nightforce. Turns out that the Burris signatures were causing the windage adjustment problem after all and not the rail. The scope centres perfectly on the collimater with almost identical number of clicks either side for windage adjustment. Not that i ever adjust windage once the scope is zeroed.

I always aim off and adjust only for distance. So why all the fuss?

Well i read sometime ago that it's best to have a scope optically centred as much as possible for some obscure reason that escapes me for now.

Due to the bling rail, i still cant use flip ups on the objective so i've dug out the bikinis that came with the scope.

Pics to follow..

• 1 month later...

Need to mount my Sightron with 60mm objective, looked at extra high mounts and weaver spaces, this put the scope to height, also made it difficult to get in to a correct and comfortable position. After doing below I have been able to use Low / Medium mounts and use the sunshade when required.

Prior to this I was using a Nikon scope which was a lot shorter and was not impeded by the rail.

Integrated Tactical Rail System removal

Removed the forehand stock by removing the 2 allen key bolts

3 countersink slot head screws are lock tightened in place. I used a heavy screwdriver, with a ratchet & socket, to give good leverage

Rail is also glued, give it a gentle tap and remove forward.

Still need to check if the front screw/bolt and a nut need to be refitted, as this is also the location for the bipod mount. May also need to think about, does the bipod mount have adequate support.

Will be zeroing and testing it over the weekend.

Archived