Who's seen the Pussy ?

David Hancock

Reading about the big cat sighting in Gloucester this week, three years ago in Suffolk by the Stour, a black panther majestically strolled out of a copse 30 yards - I paced the hedgerow.

It stopped, dropped, stared, then slunk off. Big shoulders, flat head and when taking my boy to Linton Zoo, there sat another. This time the right side of the fence.

I'm sure the bugger winked at me !!

I have to say that when I lamp one area with a bouancy ring on a back board with two sodding big red reflectors, it puts the shxxts up me every time. The last thing I want is a tiddles on steroids staring back.

Who else has seen the pussy ??

Reading about the big cat sighting in Gloucester this week, three years ago in Suffolk by the Stour, a black panther majestically strolled out of a copse 30 yards - I paced the hedgerow.

It stopped, dropped, stared, then slunk off. Big shoulders, flat head and when taking my boy to Linton Zoo, there sat another. This time the right side of the fence.

I have to say that when I lamp one area with a bouancy ring on a back board with two sodding big red reflectors, it puts the shxxts up me every time. The last thing I want is a tiddles on steroids staring back.

Not seen one myself but the guy who owns a gunshop near me showed me a picture taken on his stalking patch ...... it was either a bloody big moggy or something exotic!

Not seen one myself but the guy who owns a gunshop near me showed me a picture taken on his stalking patch ...... it was either a bloody big moggy or something exotic!

My friend has seen one twice where he lives on a trout farm in Norfolk. He was doing a security walk round of the premises at night when his doblerman went potty trying to pull his arm off by pulling him the opposite way to the way he was wlalking. When he switched the lamp on there was a 'cat' about 30 yards off stood there staring at him. He then decided that the dog had the right idea and they left the cat to it's business. It happened to him again about a year later when he had 2 dogs with him. He wasn't too keen on going out at night on the farm after that. He thought that big cats being in the UK was a load of crap, until he saw one. I've also had 3 other people say that they have seen big cats when stalking. One sighting was just off the motorway, they stopped on the hard shoulder and looked at the cat through binos as it was broad daylight.

I have seen two several years ago, but nothing since. With the advance in night vision and paticulaly stealth cameras surely there would be more sighting these days. I have managed to photograph roe deer in areas where we thought none were present, but no big cats.

What your thoughts

I was a bit of a skeptic when I saw this thread initially, so I did a quick search on YouTube and found this,

Looks like a panther to me.

looks too small to be a Panther, more likely a Kellas Cat.... Seen one myself about 25 years ago about 30 miles north of that sighting on the same railway line. Also seen what I'm sure was a Cougar running across a field in broad daylight a couple of years ago in a farm just north of Glasgow.. was a couple of other reports of that one around the same time.

When i was a kid a local lurcherman called Willy Tough lived up the road from me and he had a equestrian centre when i walked into the barn

there was a lad sat on the hay playing with two puma cubs this was in the middle of Urmston Manchester in 1973 i have never seen any since

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I was a bit of a skeptic when I saw this thread initially, so I did a quick search on YouTube and found this,

Looks like a panther to me.

Bugger! Thats filmed around 6 miles away from the farm i shoot on :eek:

Daz

Looking at the animal in proportion to the railway lines, I'd say it would weigh no more than 15kg, -way- lighter than any panther.

It could for example be a large black Maine Coon. We expect our new MC kitten to end up at least 10kg based on his breeding lines and some can easily go over 12kg so it's in the ballpark of what the video shows.

Chris-NZ

the million dollar question is "if you saw a big cat would you shoot it"

Probably the question should be 'if you saw a big cat, would you shoot it AND tell anyone about it??' :)

I’m in the still to be convinced camp.

As for the suggestion that they be shot on sight I’d ask, how many documented human deaths in the UK have been attributed to these animals?

IMO the real criteria for shooting such an animal would be that you just wanted to kill it and were looking for an excuse…and a flimsy one at that.

I believe the odds are that with all the night vision, airborne IR and remote camera equipment available these days, it would be a matter of established fact if they were about. The boys and girls in white lab coats can detect and document creatures as small as scorpions’ thriving in the UK, but can’t find proof of a large carnivore roaming the countryside! Additionally the airspace over the UK is full of military and police helicopters with very sensitive thermal imaging systems …and still no sign of kitty.

I don’t think the police will be issuing a condition for big cats on anyone’s FAC for a while yet. ;)

ATB

i am at the same veiw as chris it seems a little small at the side of the railway line and as achosenman said they cant be that clever to avoid being seen with all the cameras shooters and so on you would think someone would have clean cut evidence of there exsistance by now.

Archived